Print Thread
Z
ZetaEx Offline OP
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
Z
Hey everyone,

I'm excited to be part of this forum. Hopefully I can get some answers to some of my pressing questions

First of all I have a 1998 Mercury Mystique GS. It has the 2.0L Zetec with DOHC. I am interested in beggining to MOD but I want to know if its worth it. I would like to eventually turbo my engine but want to maximize performance while keeping everything "street legal"... ahem... SO how much power can I realistically expect to get out of my engine after its all tricked out? Lets say if I dropped like... 3-4 G's into the car? New headers, exhaust system, Sprockets, pulley, Air filter, Chip and Turbo?

Is it better for me to wait and drop in a 2.5L contour engine, and mod that? Or stick with my little 2.0L baby. Will a 2000 Contour Engine even Fit, and could I keep my existing parts like the alternator, starter, A/C comp and such?

Just for fun, what is the highest HP reading you've had on your 2.0L Zetec and how many mods have you put in?

THANKS GUYS

ATX 1998 Myst, Sound System DONE, 16" Mille Miglia 11-2 DONE, Air Ride+Lowered+Drilled Rotors http://www.geocities.com/zlujan/night_vision.html(Premature)
H
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
H
What are you talking about, you cant just "drop in" a 2.5 where a 2.0 is.
You can if you buy a Contour with a 2.5 put a 3.0 in it.

As for horsepower beyondloaded has a 3L turbo that is going to be pushing over 400hp.

So I guess there isnt really a limit to it, just do all the mods you can to it and you will have lots of hp.

R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
Originally posted by LittleMystique:
Hey everyone,

I'm excited to be part of this forum. Hopefully I can get some answers to some of my pressing questions

First of all I have a 1998 Mercury Mystique GS. It has the 2.0L Zetec with DOHC. I am interested in beggining to MOD but I want to know if its worth it. I would like to eventually turbo my engine but want to maximize performance while keeping everything "street legal"... ahem... SO how much power can I realistically expect to get out of my engine after its all tricked out? Lets say if I dropped like... 3-4 G's into the car? New headers, exhaust system, Sprockets, pulley, Air filter, Chip and Turbo?

Is it better for me to wait and drop in a 2.5L contour engine, and mod that? Or stick with my little 2.0L baby. Will a 2000 Contour Engine even Fit, and could I keep my existing parts like the alternator, starter, A/C comp and such?

Just for fun, what is the highest HP reading you've had on your 2.0L Zetec and how many mods have you put in?

THANKS GUYS

OK in order to swap a 2.5 into a Zetec car, you would need the Lower sub frame off a 2.5, the tranny (zetec are rod shifter IIRC) and a bunch of other things...( can't remember off the top of my head) but the gerneral agreement is that it would cost less to buy a Contour with a 2.5 liter than to drop one in.....unless you had some connections.

Lupe

3.0 SVT hybrid...all the fixens...Track/Race ready very soon!!!!!! 20,000 + miles
C
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
C
Originally posted by Roz 1999 SVT-C:
Hey everyone,

THANKS GUYS

OK in order to swap a 2.5 into a Zetec car, you would need the Lower sub frame off a 2.5, the tranny (zetec are rod shifter IIRC) and a bunch of other things...( can't remember off the top of my head) but the gerneral agreement is that it would cost less to buy a Contour with a 2.5 liter than to drop one in.....unless you had some connections.

Lupe

I agree, think of all the money spent to swap the Duratec, when that money could be spent on mods for your Zetec. Mod the 4 banger. Check out the Zetec section too.

-Ken V. 1998.5 SE Praire Tan Zetec ATX psycho_bass@hotmail.com Roush springs Roush rear sway bar BAT struts 17" Millie Miglia HT3 and a ton of subtle asthetic mods
R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
Originally posted by CRZYDRVR:
Originally posted by Roz 1999 SVT-C:
Hey everyone,

THANKS GUYS

Lupe

I agree, think of all the money spent to swap the Duratec, when that money could be spent on mods for your Zetec. Mod the 4 banger. Check out the Zetec section too.

Hey what ever happened tot eh Demon Dynamics turbo for the Zetec??? Did it ever become a reality?

Lupe

3.0 SVT hybrid...all the fixens...Track/Race ready very soon!!!!!! 20,000 + miles
C
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
C
I dont remember reading anything about Demon Dynamics in awhile. Not sure what happened.

-Ken V. 1998.5 SE Praire Tan Zetec ATX psycho_bass@hotmail.com Roush springs Roush rear sway bar BAT struts 17" Millie Miglia HT3 and a ton of subtle asthetic mods
T
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
T
You may have guessed that you're better off modding your I-4 or selling the car & buying a V-6.

Here is a nicely done FAQ with a few good follow up posts for you to reference on your buildup to a turbo.

TURBO Zetec info

Must be that jumbly-wumbly thing happening again.
Z
ZetaEx Offline OP
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
Z
Thanks, I really appreciate the input.

ATX 1998 Myst, Sound System DONE, 16" Mille Miglia 11-2 DONE, Air Ride+Lowered+Drilled Rotors http://www.geocities.com/zlujan/night_vision.html(Premature)

Moderated by  GTO Pete 

Link Copied to Clipboard