Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
C
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
C
I just wanted to post a thread that describes the installation of the SVT Focus Smart Fuel Pump in my '00 SVT. Hopefully this will help others who are seeking info on this topic, but not getting much help.

The installation was done by myself, SVTSeth, and another good friend of mine. Unfortunately we did it at night, so there weren't any good pictures WEAR GLOVES.

I purchasd the FSVT pump & sending unit for $110.00 at a dealer. It came with the FSVT plastic basket.

http://www.contour.org/mods/mods.php?s=howto&displayid=39

Follow the instructions on removing the original fuel pump to the letter up until you remove the actual pump basket from inside the tank. Disconnect the small red & black wire electrical plug from the top of the basket.

Unscrew the small screws from the top cover and pop off the piece where the fuel tube attaches to the actual pump. Then, with a flathead screwdriver, push the retainers on the sides of the basket in to pop the plastic cover off. The old pump will be exposed to you now. Remove it from the basket.

The old CSVT pump has a top & bottom black rubber molding. We found that the FSVT pump's moldings did not allow for perfect clearance when the basket was resealed, so remove the Focus' moldings and replace them with the ones from the Contour. Also, the FSVT pump has a small internal filter that is pretty square in comparison with the V-shaped filter on the Contour pump and extends horizontally away from the pump rather than upwards like the Contour. Seth & my friend agreed that we probably shouldn't risk installing the FSVT pump with its square filter bent upwards not knowing what might happen later. So we thoroughly cleaned and then swapped the Contour's V filter onto the FSVT pump. It fits like a glove.

Put the pump into place inside the basket and close the basket, snapping the retainer into place. Now comes the fun part.

Take a look at the electrical cable with the red & black wire and the socket it's supposed to go into on the FSVT pump. You'll notice that they don't match up perfectly. What we did was shave off some plastic from the connector in certain thick areas to make it fit. After slicing, it fit firmly.

We tried to use the new FSVT green ring seal as a replacement for the old, dirty CSVT one, but unfortunately they are not the same size and it doesn't fit right. You will have to clean out the old green ring seal and use it again. Follow the HOWTO instructions to finish the installation.

maybe the mods want to pin this or add it to a FAQ at the top of this forum

X
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
X
Thanks for the info. I plan to do this soon as well, and I'm sure this will be helpful.

Matt 2000 SVT Toreador #1210 of 2150
C
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
C
Glad I could help.

D
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
D
I just recently felt a high-rpm hiccup... 1/4 Tank of gas, 6,000 RPM...power flopped a little. I'm thinking fuel pump, but I'm going to check plugs and wires first (they're about due for a checkup anyhow).

So, what's the purpose of going to the Focus' "Smart Pump." We don't know their life expectancy, do we?

Derek Scion xB 5-spd Previous: 2000 Silver Frost SVT Please share the road with cyclists.
F
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
F
I do! Why dont you ask the guys at focaljet.com about it? I had a focus for a while and I work at a Ford shop and have seen soooo many foci have fuel pumps go out. It's more rare to see one that did not need replaced before 36K than it is to see one last.

I am not trying to be an ass or anything. I just want to warn you...

BTW: Is there any power, milage, or anything else you're expecting from this?

J
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
J
The FSVT pump is a completely different pump than the standard Focus. They also fixed the pump problem on the Focus(I believe on 02+ models).

"...first he's gonna s*!t, then he's gonna kill us." 1999 Contour SVT Retrojunk.com
D
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
D
Originally posted by Focer:

BTW: Is there any power, milage, or anything else you're expecting from this?

Nope. I'm not pushing any sort of fuel pump limits, so I'd just ask for one that works.

Derek Scion xB 5-spd Previous: 2000 Silver Frost SVT Please share the road with cyclists.
C
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
C
First thing I looked at was the price. Ordering from Ford or A/C Delco, you'll see that they don't sell the CSVT pump by itself. Rather, you have to buy a bunch of additional parts that are not broken and pay nearly $300 for the set.

Unfortunatly, after a call to BAT, it seems that they are doing the same thing, even though their catalog says they have pumps for $80.

I bought the Focus SVT pump from a local dealer b/c I was in a rush. The pump with the basket & sender was around $100. I know others have gotten it for $80. (search)

Then, as per the info posted here & other forums, it's a higher performing pump rated somewhere over 200 lph. That's more than enough for what I'll be doing. So I ended up with a better running pump that cost less and (almost) fits perfectly.

BTW - drove it quick today. It was great.

D
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
D
Stock pump is 155lph? What about a Walbro pump? They make 155lph pumps that'll fit our cars, right?

So it was a convenience and cost thing for you...as long as there are no ill side effects to running a higher rated pump, sounds like a pretty good swap!

T
I have no life
I have no life
T
Some more notes on this after doing one last night. You'll need a fuel line disconnect tool to get the main fuel connection apart. Something similar to this...

I have the scissor type as well. Can be adjusted to be used on 4 different sizes. The one pictured only shows 2 sizes. It can be found at almost any parts store. I think mine was like $10. Glad I had one or we'd have to run to the store. You'll also need a T-10 torx bit for the top 3 screws on the oringinal pump. I'm glad this post was made. Saved a lot of time figuring as Trapps post only tells half the story.

-'96 SE MTX 3L -'98 SVT 1,173 of 6,535 -'05 Mazda 6s, loaded, g/f's ride -Need a 96-00 manual on CD? PM or email me
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard