Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
B
Redneck Troll
OP Offline
Redneck Troll
B
The '86 is the weeny of the whole bunch, not only because the 350 only came in 50 cars this year (none in '85), but because HP was down in '86 305 from the '85 with a smaller cam. Stock, this car only had 190 HP AT THE CRANK! The '85 and '87-'89 305 MAF TPI's were rated at 215 HP and I dynoed 52 HP more than a well running '87 305 TPI at the meet and he had the same drivetrain and gears. Through the slushbox, I even put down more than a few stock 350 TPI's (rated from 220 HP in '86 up to 245 for '90-'92).

Total investment for my 77 HP improvement is less than $600, and that includes the gear needed to tune the cam. I even get 21-23+ MPG when I want to, 17-18 when I hot foot it.

As for the quarter, the torque numbers is where it's at. At 1800 RPM, I had over 220 RWTQ with peak at only 3500 RPM at 242. That's over 300 at the crank. Of course there's always the 2800 stall and 3.45's sitting in the corner waiting their turn too. Modding this car is so cheap, I can see why so many rednecks have them.

Yeeeeee HAW, give me some more of that duct tape and womens undergarmuts Jimbob, we gotsta make us a cold air induckshun!

Originally posted by livinsvt:
By the way you still going through with the 05 mustang?

Probably going to wait until '06 for the special editions to come out. Rumor is that the Cobra, Saleen, Roush, etc editions won't be out until then.

http://www.bnmotorsports.com "And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my CEG brothers. And you will know I am the Moderator when I lay my vengeance upon you."
J
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
J
Its pretty bad when you have a T/A and a Contour sitting in your driveway and the Contour is the faster of the two

"...first he's gonna s*!t, then he's gonna kill us." 1999 Contour SVT Retrojunk.com
T
I have no life
I have no life
T
No he doesn't.

-'96 SE MTX 3L -'98 SVT 1,173 of 6,535 -'05 Mazda 6s, loaded, g/f's ride -Need a 96-00 manual on CD? PM or email me
B
Redneck Troll
OP Offline
Redneck Troll
B
Todd is right. Silvie has been gone over a year now. Geesh, has it been that long?!?!?!

http://www.bnmotorsports.com "And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my CEG brothers. And you will know I am the Moderator when I lay my vengeance upon you."
J
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
J
I did not know that. Bummer.

"...first he's gonna s*!t, then he's gonna kill us." 1999 Contour SVT Retrojunk.com
D
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
D
A Mustang dyno typically dynos about 8% less than a Dynojet. I'd venture to say ~205whp/260wtq on the Dynojet. The Trans Am of that vintage weighs ~3300lbs giving it a wheel power to weight of 16:1 or roughly that of a many mid 14-second cars (Honda Accord 6 speed, 2002+ Maxima/Altima, GTP). The problem though resides in the nature of the TPI motors. They build a ton of power low and then puke and die up top. As you can see in the dyno, peak power is achieved just below 5000rpms and after that it falls off to ~170whp by 5400rpms. Needless to say, these motors have very short powerbands which isn't terribly ideal hense the reason why you rarely see the TPIs tearing it up at the track nor do you see them running the same kind of ET/MPH as a different car with the same power to weight ratio. Long linear sustained powerbands (power under the curve) are what makes a car fast.

I'd guess this 305 TPI would be good for mid to low 15s at the high 80s. The 2.77 gear really isn't hurting it much and a 3.45 will probably overgear it because of the short powerband. I'd say no higher than a 3.23 series unless tall slicks are to be involved. The 2800rpm stall might help a little if slicks are going to be used, but the 2800rpm stall could overshoot some of the powerband.

When I had my 94 Z28 auto 2.73 gear with intake/exhaust/ecu, I hung out with three guys with L98s (350 TPI motor). When riding in these cars you'd swear they'd tear the LT1 a part. The power sensation was amazing, but that's because the torque curve hit hard and fast and then fell, hit the next gear and the torque hits hard again then falls. The LT1 just felt fast, but the L98s felt brutal. However on the track the truth was revealed. They got smoked by the LT1. I ran mid to high 13s@101mph and they were in the 14.5-14.6@95mph. Their 60' and 1/8 miles were slightly better, but I crushed them in the last 1/8. They could only gain ~16mph in the last 1/8 where as I did ~20mph. From the rear view mirror it was a steady and hard walk on the L98. When the LS1 was unleashed, I swore that thing felt like a dog compared to my LT1, but the truth was revealed to me at the track. They were significantly quicker and had VERY linear and long powerbands.

black 96 Maxima SE Best ET/MPH: 14.31@99.3mph with a 2.18 60' JDM intake manifold, ECU, intake, y-pipe, muffler
V
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
V
Yeah, the LS1 is a sick powerplant. I couldn't believe the difference when I first drove one. I almost traded in my '85 Z28 TPI for a '98 Z28... sometimes I wish I had.

E0 #36 '95 Ranger '82 Honda CX500
B
Redneck Troll
OP Offline
Redneck Troll
B
Originally posted by Dave B:
A Mustang dyno typically dynos about 8% less than a Dynojet. I'd venture to say ~205whp/260wtq on the Dynojet. The Trans Am of that vintage weighs ~3300lbs giving it a wheel power to weight of 16:1 or roughly that of a many mid 14-second cars (Honda Accord 6 speed, 2002+ Maxima/Altima, GTP). The problem though resides in the nature of the TPI motors. They build a ton of power low and then puke and die up top. As you can see in the dyno, peak power is achieved just below 5000rpms and after that it falls off to ~170whp by 5400rpms. Needless to say, these motors have very short powerbands which isn't terribly ideal hense the reason why you rarely see the TPIs tearing it up at the track nor do you see them running the same kind of ET/MPH as a different car with the same power to weight ratio. Long linear sustained powerbands (power under the curve) are what makes a car fast.

I'd guess this 305 TPI would be good for mid to low 15s at the high 80s. The 2.77 gear really isn't hurting it much and a 3.45 will probably overgear it because of the short powerband. I'd say no higher than a 3.23 series unless tall slicks are to be involved. The 2800rpm stall might help a little if slicks are going to be used, but the 2800rpm stall could overshoot some of the powerband.

When I had my 94 Z28 auto 2.73 gear with intake/exhaust/ecu, I hung out with three guys with L98s (350 TPI motor). When riding in these cars you'd swear they'd tear the LT1 a part. The power sensation was amazing, but that's because the torque curve hit hard and fast and then fell, hit the next gear and the torque hits hard again then falls. The LT1 just felt fast, but the L98s felt brutal. However on the track the truth was revealed. They got smoked by the LT1. I ran mid to high 13s@101mph">13s@101mph</a> and they were in the <a href="mailto:14.5-14.6@95mph. Their 60' and 1/8 miles were slightly better, but I crushed them in the last 1/8. They could only gain ~16mph in the last 1/8 where as I did ~20mph. From the rear view mirror it was a steady and hard walk on the L98. When the LS1 was unleashed, I swore that thing felt like a dog compared to my LT1, but the truth was revealed to me at the track. They were significantly quicker and had VERY linear and long powerbands.

On the 305 the TPI is good to 6 grand, especially with the ported base and siamesed SLP runners. The stock exhaust manifolds are the restriction in this combination... then come the stock heads... then...

The 2.77 gears are holding me to a shift to 3rd at the 1000 foot mark (G-Teching it for now). The 3.45 are steep enough to get me into 3rd gear at right around 100 at the line with the planned mods and a little lower at 90's for the current combination. The line will hold with the trailing arms/panhard upgrades. install/run/sub_2_second_60_foot.exe

As for the converter choice, it's actually on the small side for the planned 7,000 RPM 305 LT1 intake swap engine to come. It will probably be a 3,000 stall with lockup (to keep some driveability).

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  mbb41_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard