Next Thread
Print Thread
#980790 06/15/04 01:52 PM
C
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
C
ok, for the last 3 months Ive had a misfire code (not noticable driving) So I finally got around to replacing my plugs the other night, it ran like a champ for 3 miles, and then bam, It runs like crap and it I have a bad electric arc. Iit only happens when I am coming from a dead stop or accelerating mildly hard. but if I lay off the throttle and then mash it, I get full acceleration without a problem. I can hear the arc coming from either the back 3 plugs or the coil pack, but there are no visible sparks in complete darkness. My first thought is its the wires, but I would like to know how to troubleshoot to see if it may be the coil pack. Ive rechecked everything and cannot find anything loose...any ideas??

2000 SVT Black/Tan #1633/2150 (a few mods) Alpine: CDA-9835, MRV-F540, MRD-M550 PG: TANTRUM-X 6.5 COMP all around. Some people wear Superman pajamas. Superman wears Chuck Norris pajamas. CEL currently: Off
#980791 06/15/04 03:19 PM
N
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
N
A coil pack is hard to diagnose without equipment. However, if you don't recall ever having it changed it's a good place to start....

Mine had a bad coil, idled like the block had a bad mount, ran crappy and stumbled badly. New coil, problem gone....

Good luck!

"Fear is the little death." Muadib.
#980792 06/16/04 12:56 AM
D
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
D
my coil pack went out.. car ran with no power, idled real bad... this is what i did to check it to see where the problem was: i used a timing light on each spark plug wire to see if they were getting spark.... just put the clip on sensor on each wire close to the coil on the sp/plug wire and then pull the trigger and if you get the timing light to light up then its giving you a spark... if not then you know which wire or part of the coil pack is not putting out.
if you find one wire that is not putting out spark then just take a known good wire and replace it and see if you get spark... if not then its the coil.. on a V-6 engine the six coil pack has three coils of wire that it is make up of.
if one does not work then there is gonna be a second socket that will not put out spark... on mine it was the No.2 and No. 6 position was bad... new coil pack from auto zone about
$69. cured the problem....
if i remember correctly the coil for a Six cyl engine was like this:
1 2 3
4 6 5 i guess that is why the no. 2 and the no 6 wires wire not getting spark as they both use the same coil of wire in the coil pack....hope this helps.

#980793 06/16/04 03:01 PM
A
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
A
when your coil pack dies, one of your cylenders stops fireing, so really you will have like a 3 cylender engine. It should rumble like crazy and you might smell a hint of gas when sitting at a stop light for a short while. taking off is hard, but when sitting at set speeds you can hardly tell at all. I suggest go with the coil pack. Get a voltage tester, and test all of your wires as well.

98 Corolla LE 1.8L DOHC 1ZZFE TEIN H.Tech Springs Tokico HP series Struts Short ram air intake Tsudo Axel Back Exhaust ... if a jelly fish stung me.. would you pee on the wound?

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard