Page 1 of 2 1 2
#979062 06/13/04 05:03 AM
S
Stryker Offline OP
Zippy Zetec on his last legs.
OP Offline
S
1. can i mount the subs somehwere in the trunk not in a box?
2. how do i get the wires from the amp to the subs? do i route them under the back seat? if so how?
3. amp locations? which is best? trunk? under seat? can i bolt it to the underside of the trunklid?

Regards, Cole. Relegating to troll status sometime this week. New Whip: 1990 Lexus ES250. Old Hotness: 1995 GL MTX Zetec *IN TRIAGE* "I had a little friend once, but it dont move no more... "
#979063 06/13/04 05:30 AM
M
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
M
1. can i mount the subs somehwere in the trunk not in a box?

yes. many mount an 8" driver on the rear deck in an infinite baffle setup with excellent results. you can also build a "wall" to mount other drivers IB as well. you're only limited by your imagination. just make sure the front area of the driver is sealed from the back to prevent cancellation.

2. how do i get the wires from the amp to the subs? do i route them under the back seat? if so how?

it depends where the amp is mounted. if you mount your amp(s) under the seat(s), then you will have to cut holes in your carpet, and yes, run it under the back seat. it pulls out.

3. amp locations? which is best? trunk? under seat? can i bolt it to the underside of the trunklid?

amp location is a personal preference thing. i prefer the trunk for accessability and better cooling.

you can mount them to the trunklid (there are at least one or two people here who have) but it won't be easy, and you'll have to put better struts on the trunklid if you do.

hope that helps!

02 Mustang GT... Tuned by Nelsons. Low 12's, anyone? .....______ ___|______\_____ |/-\_________/-\_| .\_/...............\_/
#979064 06/13/04 06:23 AM
S
Stryker Offline OP
OP Offline
S
it does help, thanks! can you elaborate on #1 some more? im looking at a 10 (rockford fosgate) and i was just wondering if it coul be done with this. i dont want to buy a box right now and i am not sure i can build a decent one...

Regards, Cole. Relegating to troll status sometime this week. New Whip: 1990 Lexus ES250. Old Hotness: 1995 GL MTX Zetec *IN TRIAGE* "I had a little friend once, but it dont move no more... "
#979065 06/13/04 06:43 AM
C
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
C
I have not seen a 10 mounted there. All you have to do to is cut a hole in the rear deck that it will fit in. It is alot harder then it sounds. there is the part with tha carpet and then the metal. you would also have to seal the vents on it too.As far as a amp I would put it in the trunk. The shorter the wire is from the amp to the sub the less power you will lose. the wires,you take off the plastic but the bottem door seals on all four doors. you run the power wire and remote wire down the drivers side and the RCA down the passanger side. NEVER run the RCA with the power eire or you will get noise from the altinator.

Chris Carr92 SHO MTX~99 Taurus SE~95 Contour SE "Be good. If you cant be good, be careful. If you cant be careful, name it after me. Anonymous"
#979066 06/13/04 03:35 PM
M
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
M
Originally posted by Stryker:
it does help, thanks! can you elaborate on #1 some more? im looking at a 10 (rockford fosgate) and i was just wondering if it coul be done with this. i dont want to buy a box right now and i am not sure i can build a decent one...

the subwoofer will need to be specifically designed for this type of application, as most "normal" woofers require a box to provide an "air spring" behind it (i.e. pressure) to control the woofer. we'd need to know the exact model number of the speaker you want to use for this, but i don't recall any rockfords that are currently available that will work in this application. there's really nothing to building a box yourself. if you have access to a circular saw and a jig saw, you can do it yourself. if not, you can buy pre-fab boxes at places like circuit city for $50. honestly, it will be just as much (or more) work for you to mount them without a box, and the results may not be up to your expectations.

as far as carraudio's comments.... you'd have to run the speaker wire a lot longer than 6-12' to ever notice a drop in power because of length. i wouldn't worry about that. running the rca's and the power wires on seperate sides of the car is another myth. most noise is carried and introduced by the vehicles chassis/frame/body/etc, so it really doesn't matter too much if they are near each other. most people still run the wires seperately just to be safe however.

02 Mustang GT... Tuned by Nelsons. Low 12's, anyone? .....______ ___|______\_____ |/-\_________/-\_| .\_/...............\_/
#979067 06/13/04 11:01 PM
S
Stryker Offline OP
OP Offline
S
well subs are a long way off right now anyways i just looked at my account balance, not pretty. after the tint i have no more play money. but i will buy an amp next. probably the 340 watt jensen i saw at target. im not interested in perfect sound, just better than factory. i cant really afford to go all out right now, and even if i could, it wouldnt be in a contour.

#979068 06/13/04 11:16 PM
L
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
L
i cant really afford to go all out right now, and even if i could, it wouldnt be in a contour.

There's nothing wrong with going nuts on your stereo in a Contour.

Ride 1:Black '98 SVT(The Hottie) #85 of 6535 DOB: April 1, 1997 Full Stereo, 17's, and a drop One of a kind body work.... For sale Ride 2: '90 Honda Accord EX(The Hooptie) Pending sale... I'm becoming a troll!
#979069 06/13/04 11:21 PM
S
Stryker Offline OP
OP Offline
S
no theres not, but frankly, im more into speed than sound, and ar stereos add lotsa weight, so im looking for 1, maybe 2 subs. 1 amp, less than 400 watts and the rest i have. that will proabably be it.

#979070 06/14/04 04:49 AM
C
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
C
Originally posted by luvmysvt:
i cant really afford to go all out right now, and even if i could, it wouldnt be in a contour.

There's nothing wrong with going nuts on your stereo in a Contour.

Just ask Bob, SoundQSVT!

2000 Contour SE 2.5L ATX - Toreador Red 2001 VW Golf GLS 2.0L MTX - Tornado Red Buy my possessed VCR!!
#979071 06/14/04 11:43 AM
D
I feel Guilty, Oh so guilty
I feel Guilty, Oh so guilty
D
Or Anthony Davis, or Christian (rainshdw)

"If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a fire exit" -Mitch Hedberg
#979072 06/14/04 03:18 PM
S
Stryker Offline OP
OP Offline
S
subs are closer than i thought. i am buying a 12' alpine in a box for $25 from chattavegas!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  dnewma04_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard