Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
G
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
G
svtjeff is correct. Terry Haines confirmed that the UIMs from all model year SVTs are indeed the same. Ford changed the part #s because...who knows.

The 5 extra horsepower is a result of:
- later heads being ported, early not
- later heads have a revised/added intake port hone
- .25 compression ratio increase in later years

I never claimed to be an "expert" - I am clearly not. I simply stated that you needed to provide some kind of proof to dispel this long thought to be fact or quit posting - it was quickly turning into a flame war.

Learn something new every day - good info jeff.

Capitol CEG Classifieds Make an offer! 2005 GTO IBM - 337hp/336tq
K
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
K
Dont forget the bigger LIM ports.

SO thats the final say, no DH UIMs?

I wonder how such a big "myth" got started.

C
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
C
Originally posted by KaptonContour:
...no DH UIMs?

I wonder how such a big "myth" got started.

Here's a quote from the Ford SVT Site:

Fod SVT

Quote:

The ??99 model year meant more horsepower for the SVT Contour, increasing it to an even 200. This was accomplished through more aggressive use of the Extrude Hone Powerflow? process. The EEC-V module was also recalibrated for increased torque. Wider tires for improved traction was another improvement. Prairie tan leather was added as an interior color option.

My name is Richard. I was a Contouraholic. NOW: '02 Mazda B3000 Dual Sport, Black BEFORE: '99 Contour SE Sport Duratec ATX Spruce Green PIAA 510's, Foglight MOD, K&N Drop-in
E
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
E
I don't see how one could assume that "more aggressive use" means that the UIM is dual-honed. Was there a brochure or something else that actually stated that? All I know is that by the time I got introduced to the Contour, that's all I ever heard. Hearing it's not dual-honed makes me want to

Bill '00 SVT Black/Tan
B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
From Car and Drivers 1999 issue.

Quote:

Previously, the upper intake manifold plenum and runners, along with the secondary intake ports, got the honing; now the primary intake ports are honed, and the upper intake gets an even more aggressive application.

Regardless whether they did or didnt do a second round of EH'ing (which I do believe they did), obviously more aggressive EH'ing means there is difference between the 98 and 99-00. Nuff said.

Read the full Car and Driver article here

Jim Hahn 1996 T-Red Contour SE Reborn 4/6/04 3.0L swap and Arizona Dyno Chip Turbo Kit 364 whp, 410 wtq @ 4,700 rpm
G
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
G
Jim (or anyone else),
If the UIMs were different, wouldn't the ports (openings) of the UIMs be different sizes?

Tough to argue against Terry Haines and Rick from Extrude Hone who say they are the same thoughout all the years.

Capitol CEG Classifieds Make an offer! 2005 GTO IBM - 337hp/336tq
J
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
J
If it turns out that all the SVT UIMs flow the same after factory extrude honing all I can say is this really upsets some well-accepted and often repeated SVT ??facts.? I personally went to considerable extra trouble and expense to find a ??real? 2000 SVT UIM to take advantage of the extra flow ?? and I am sure there are many other CEG??ers who have done the same!

I??ve been bit by DemonSVT on technical topics in past and sometimes it stings. However, over time I??ve come to really enjoy reading his posts and I appreciate that when he does post he is very damn sure of his information. If DemonSVT and all of us are proven wrong about such basic information concerning a primary performance part like the SVT UIM then..... that??s a good thing! It is always better to know the facts.

I just wish that the person bringing us this information did not have such utterly abysmal social skills!

SVTJeff, occasionally, if you are lucky, you have a chance to help a group of people learn more about what really interests them. While the difference (or lack of) between SVT UIMs is a pretty small thing on a world scale, here at CEG it packs a real punch!

In general, anyone who provides such new and fundamental performance information and history on the car we love earns real gratitude and respect here.

Well, I for one thank you for the SVT info, but frankly I don??t respect you at all. Based on your posts (here and elsewhere) and the attitude they reflect, I know that you are a true cretin. I am sure if I met you on the street that I could not stand more than a few minutes of your company.

You are just one more example of civility on the wane in our time.

99 Tropic Green SVT, Tan Leather, 20K miles, "Nice Twin" (factory stock). 99 Tropic Green SVT, Tan Leather, 28K miles, "Evil Twin" (Turbo AER 3L and more in progress) 96 Red LX, Opal Grey Leather 2.5L, ATX, 22K miles
H
Scourge of the Master Debaters
Scourge of the Master Debaters
H
Originally posted by SVT ST PETE:
Jim (or anyone else),
If the UIMs were different, wouldn't the ports (openings) of the UIMs be different sizes?

I think Greg already covered this if you look above.

Beer is my Gatorade. Hooray Beer. '98 "Sport" Pacific Green '98 E0 SVT Silver Frost Pictures
#975594 06/14/04 07:13 AM
D
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
D
1) Why does name-calling and all that crap always come up? Why can't people discuss a topic without talking sh|t?
2) Jeff, thanks for the info. This is causing a stirring in my brain, as I've always thought the UIM was dual honed.
3) If they're not dual honed, why are the exit port diameters different between years? Why are the LIM (I repeat, the LIM) diameters larger in the 99+ if the UIM isn't larger?

Derek Scion xB 5-spd Previous: 2000 Silver Frost SVT Please share the road with cyclists.
R
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
R
Originally posted by Contouraholic:
Quote:

The ??99 model year meant more horsepower for the SVT Contour, increasing it to an even 200. This was accomplished through more aggressive use of the Extrude Hone Powerflow? process. The EEC-V module was also recalibrated for increased torque. Wider tires for improved traction was another improvement. Prairie tan leather was added as an interior color option.

That doesnt say anything about the UIM, that is most certainly talking about the larger LIM and extrude honed heads that are found in the 99+ SVT's.

Are we going to take car and drivers report (the ONLY report thats turned up stating that the UIM was honed more) as fact? I'm thinking maybe it could've been a misunderstanding from Car and Driver, especially since this recent data seems to suggest otherwise.

The only thing yet to figure out is why the ports on those newer UIM's are different, maybe they only increased the size of those ports to match the larger LIM's they used (e.g. port matched, and didnt actually EH the UIMs)?

Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  GTO Pete 

Link Copied to Clipboard