Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
D
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
D
First off, lemme say that this noise is not caused by the belt slapping the timing belt cover, since my cover is off!

I had my timing belt replaced yesterday with new pulleys, tensioner, etc. Since yesterday evening, I now hear a noise like the timing belt vibrating against something, but only around 2500RPM, and typically only under acceleration. Could the tensioner be loose? It's a very noticeable noise. The dealer (I know, I know...) is closed today, but I'm taking it back Monday to have it looked at.

BTW - I assume the tentioner is the small device under the intake cam? If so, then I noticed on the backside of it (b/t the tensioner and the engine block) that there is something that progressively rotates clockwise with climbing rpm's. It also seems to be in the general vicinity of the noise. Is that the tensioner doing it's thing?

Thanks...

Andrew Morris '99 SE Zetec ATX All of life's big problems include the words indictment or inoperable. Everything else is small stuff.
D
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
D
Also...

After listening to the sound some more, it sounds a lot like a heat shield (or something similar) vibrating. And the sound does not go away when warmed up.

Andrew Morris '99 SE Zetec ATX All of life's big problems include the words indictment or inoperable. Everything else is small stuff.
M
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
M
Can it be a shot hamonic balancer ?

I don't know much about Zetec Contour, but on my Tempo, that was the source of the noise.

It sounds like an heat shield knocking on the exhaust, but the noise come from the pulleys. It became less audible as the RPM increase but comes back when the engine works a lot at low RPM.

'99 T-Red Contour SVT '95 Mystique GS - 2.5L V6 ATX '94 Topaz GS - 3.0L V6 MTX - Gone since Feb. 06 www.tempotopaz.com
S
Zippy Zetec on his last legs.
Zippy Zetec on his last legs.
S
mine is doing that too...im gonna take it back to the dealer that changed the belt.

Regards, Cole. Relegating to troll status sometime this week. New Whip: 1990 Lexus ES250. Old Hotness: 1995 GL MTX Zetec *IN TRIAGE* "I had a little friend once, but it dont move no more... "
L
CEG road warrior
CEG road warrior
L
Check the W/P pulley. When I did the install on mine the w/p pully was loose and made a vibrating noise.....scared the crap out of me....but figured out the bolts were loose. It is very easy to forget because you really can't see it all that good, and the bolts are a real PITA to get to.

Last edited by LoCoZ; 05/31/04 02:58 PM.

Hector 2003 Rally Red Mitsubishi Evolution VIII 257HP/259TQ 2005 Lapis Blue Mazda 6s RET: 00 Cabernet Red Ford Contour Zetec ATX SUPERCHARGED 160HP/141TQ

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard