Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
C
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
C
http://autox.carlc.com

Next event will be held at the Hialeah Horse track off of Palm Avenue on 5/30. Big course, lots of fun. Free to watch, See you guys there.

Here's the flyer

Here's driving directions

T
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
T
Yaaaa-Hoooo!!! This is gonna be my first one.

Must be that jumbly-wumbly thing happening again.
C
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
C
Man you're gonna love this course. It's an out & back style setup. But it's mad fast & challenging. Hope to see you there.

W
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
W
A couple of words of advice:

Get there at the buttcrack of dawn, be one of the first ones there. That's when the truly experienced guys show up. Get ready for tech (all of the crap out of the trunk, battery tight, floormats out, trunk and hood open) and search out for one of these guys: a good hint is to find somebody that trailered a car in. Explain to them that you're a noob, and would like to do a coursewalk with them. They might want to walk solo first, but they *will* help you out. You should do no less than four before the novice walkthrough so that you have a leg up on them.

Questions to ask on the coursewalk: What are the key cones? Where should I be looking [through this feature]? Where should my braking zone be? Is this an increasing or decreasing or constant slalom?

When walking, be sure to pace out cones so that you know the answer to the last question.

DON'T BE AFRAID TO ASK QUESTIONS, EVEN IF YOU THINK THAT THEY'RE DUMB ONES!!!

Also, be early for checking in for worker assignments, and ask to be paired with an experienced guy so he can explain how to work course with you and this will also afford you the opportunity to see how others are driving the course.

Additionally, make sure that for your first two runs that you have one of these guys (ideally the courseworker guy or coursewalker guy that you met earlier that you hopefully have some rapport with) ride along with you. And don't be afraid to ask to ride along either.

You'll have a blast.

Whirling dervish of FFOG.
#962356 05/25/04 04:20 PM
W
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
W
Don't be a nancy on your first run -- I can't tell you how many times I've seen novices drive the course at 10 mph. You only get four runs, make them count. You won't know what you and your car can and cannot do unless you drive it at least 8/10.

#962357 05/25/04 08:05 PM
T
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
T
Originally posted by weargle:
Don't be a nancy on your first run -- I can't tell you how many times I've seen novices drive the course at 10 mph. You only get four runs, make them count. You won't know what you and your car can and cannot do unless you drive it at least 8/10.

Thanks a lot man!!

Nancy was looking over my shoulder when I read this & she smacked my upside my head!

#962358 05/25/04 09:28 PM
W
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
W

#962359 05/26/04 03:33 AM
C
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
C
I think his girlfriend's name is Nancy...

Anyhow... don't forget to try to have fun. If you're a noob, chances are you won't be going anywhere fast, but you'll be having a ton of fun and you won't care. IMO, first two runs should be trying to stay on course and not hit anything. After you get the feel of the course, hit the third & fourth HARD.

BTW - I don't think they're bringing spare helmets anymore. If you're running, bring your own hat or find someone who's got one to lend.

#962360 05/26/04 05:54 PM
T
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
T
One of my co-workers is Nancy. Cranky old lady. (~smack~)

I don't have a helmet, the 'M' hats are out, so what spec helmet will I need to get.

By the way, if I have to buy a helmet, I probably won't be racing, but I'll at least come check things out. I also have a nephew coming in from Afghanistan on Sunday afternoon, so my day may be cut short depending on what time the shin-dig will be.

Thanks for all the tips & info, I need all I can get!

JimR

#962361 05/27/04 03:34 AM
C
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
C
I think there's helmet info on the site.

Oh... BRING SUNBLOCK. Me? I got a 7 foot umbrella Let's hope it's not windy.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Auto-X Fil 

Link Copied to Clipboard