Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
B
CEG'er
OP Offline
CEG'er
B
My Drive belt tensioner pulley and idler pulley were both making a terriable grinding noise. Calling Ford, the tensioner is sold as a complete unit only and they do not sell the pulley separately. The tensioner is around 70 dollars. The idler pulley that I went to get at O'Reilly's did not match up with what I had.

What I ended up doing was buying 2 BCA 203FF Pilot Bearings. This number matches what is in both pulleys. The pilot bearings were 7.49 each. I used a socket to tap out the old bearings. Cleaned the inner surface and dabbed some white grease on housing. I then tapped in the new bearings with out much trouble. I have them on the car and they work great. Tension 70+ Idler Pulley 20 = 90 dollars. Subtract 2 pilot bearings $15.00. Total saved = 75 dollars!

Thought you all would like to know this tip!

Regards,
Bob

An ounce of prevention provides a pound of cure!
B
CEG'er
OP Offline
CEG'er
B
Forgot, My auto is 95 Contour LX 2.5L with ATX for reference.

An ounce of prevention provides a pound of cure!
D
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
D
thanks for the info.. will keep it in the back of mind for as long as possible........ sometimes i remember things and use the info (not just on cars, but on all kinds of things around the house) and when someone ask how i know how to do this or that.. i then think back and really cant remember how i got the information.. but as a kid in the 50's and 5-'s i remember getting the old popular mechanics magazines and studying them when i should have been studying the school books.... probably got a lot of info from them and now years later is using it and saving money all the time..
thanks for the tip...

H
Scourge of the Master Debaters
Scourge of the Master Debaters
H
Originally posted by btrautman:
The idler pulley that I went to get at O'Reilly's did not match up with what I had.

If was slightly bigger, that's a good thing. Ford updated the idler pulley sometime after '98 which included beefier bearings. Both of my cars have had grinding that was fixed by replacing that pulley, and according to Ford, the updates should prevent the problem from returning.

Beer is my Gatorade. Hooray Beer. '98 "Sport" Pacific Green '98 E0 SVT Silver Frost Pictures
Z
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
Z
Damn. Is it like a whirr whirr whirr noise? because I could never quite figure out what that noise was and I hear a slight grinding noise in the engine bay. It was like that when I bought the car so I never thought anything of it. I think I'm gonna go try to get a sound clip and let you guys listen. My car does have a weird idle and I wonder if it would be the bearing on the idle pulley.

Update: I can't get a sound clip, someone has destoryed my digital camera battery latch. If the bearing was dieing, could this effect gas mileage at all? I know my tour gets poor gas mileage but I have never been able to pin point it.

Last edited by ZeroHour; 10/24/05 03:13 AM.

1998 SE Duratec V6 ATX Ebay intake with K&N Filter Trubendz Exhaust Custom Hood

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard