Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#958196 05/19/04 12:53 AM
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
Ok, today my car died while I was driving...Turned out to be a corroded terminal.I got it home, and figured I would just go buy another terminal. Well, I went to start it and it wouldn't start, wouldn't even turn over. All it does is click, and when I turn the key all the way my clock will go out. I have lights, radio, etc...Starter was replaced less than six months ago. Any ideas before I get it towed to the shop? Please post anything you think it may be. TIA...

Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
BTW, the battery is new...Could this be the alternator? Would I still have accessories with a bad alternator? I never got a battery warning light...

H
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
H
Clicking can happen if enough voltage is not getting to the starter for it to turn the engine over. Since you had a bad connection, it sounds like that is where you should start looking. If you have a voltmeter, it should be fairly straight foward to track it down. The starter will normally crank with about 6 volts on it (huge voltage drop due to high starting current) The problem can be in 3 places. At the battery terminal, or in the link from the battery to the starter, or in the starter. If you need specific directions, let me know.

P
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
You have a bad cable or cable connection.

Steve

98 Contour SE Sport 2.5 Duratec ATX The wifey's car 89 Taurus SHO - 246K miles 94 SHO ATX - 190K 1997 F-150 5.4L ATX - The Workhorse 150K. ANY THREAD WITH "OMG" or "WTF" ETC IN THE TITLE WILL BE IGNORED!
G
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
G
Check the tightness of the negative battery cable where it is attached to the body or engine block or wherever. A loose connection there will cause a bad ground and it'll be just like a dead battery. I had that problem once. My .02

'99 Sport TropicGreen,Duratec, SVT exhaust, Brembo rotors, Ceramic pads, K&N filters(oil & air), Alpine CDM7874, Polk DB570 speakers front and rear. Fog light mod. 50% Formula One tint.
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
Originally posted by projectSHO89:
You have a bad cable or cable connection.

Steve

Yup, cable was shot...Seems obvious to me now, but I never knew a bad cable would prevent the car from starting. Thanks alot guys.

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard