Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
I
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
I
Ok I'm going to try to describe this best I can so bare with me.

Ok Problem #1: I've got bad 02 sensor(s)

Problem #2: I have an overheating car or what appears to be an overheating car. I've got white smoke for days out of the exhaust and I believe an oil leak. It filled up half my wheel well and around the bottom of the tranny and suspension pieces on the drivers side is all oil (I think).

Problem #3: I've got a bad battery that seems to run out in no time then takes forever to be able to jump.

Bottom line is I can't keep the car running unless I stay on the throttle and when I do smoke flies out of the exhaust everywhere. I've put new coolant in but it appears to be disappearing or something...but no matter how much I put in it doesnt seem to be rising at all in the coolant tank.

Any advice or anything would be appreciated...I'm not sure exactly what is wrong but thats the best description I can give you guys.

IonNinja 2005 Saturn ION-2 Sedan 1996 Ford Contour GL - Collecting dust...Zetec project anyone?
S
Zippy Zetec on his last legs.
S
i know i am a newbie here, but i had a problem with a coolant leak. it was leaking from the freeze plug onto the catalytic converter and burning off...is it coming out of your exhaust? if so it could be a head gasket, or worse, if it just white smoke then you could have cracked your block... the other thing with your battery could be one of a few things...first ones that pop into my mind are dead battery cell and bad alternator...also you could have a shorted battery cable too...but again im a newbie.

Regards, Cole. Relegating to troll status sometime this week. New Whip: 1990 Lexus ES250. Old Hotness: 1995 GL MTX Zetec *IN TRIAGE* "I had a little friend once, but it dont move no more... "
S
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
S
Originally posted by ZetecNinja:
Ok I'm going to try to describe this best I can so bare with me.

Ok Problem #1: I've got bad 02 sensor(s)

Problem #2: I have an overheating car or what appears to be an overheating car. I've got white smoke for days out of the exhaust and I believe an oil leak. It filled up half my wheel well and around the bottom of the tranny and suspension pieces on the drivers side is all oil (I think).

Problem #3: I've got a bad battery that seems to run out in no time then takes forever to be able to jump.

Bottom line is I can't keep the car running unless I stay on the throttle and when I do smoke flies out of the exhaust everywhere. I've put new coolant in but it appears to be disappearing or something...but no matter how much I put in it doesnt seem to be rising at all in the coolant tank.

Any advice or anything would be appreciated...I'm not sure exactly what is wrong but thats the best description I can give you guys.

Well, white smoke and dissapearing coolant could very likely be a blown headgasket. Also since coolant contamination destroys O2 sensors it could all be related...

97 Contour SE MTX K&N 3530, UR UDP, 19# Injectors, mystery mod, FMS wires, Fordchip.com chip, SVT: TB, Flywheel, clutch, exhaust 04 Grand Caravan SXT
S
S
be careful if you drive it. DO NOT let it overheat...warped heads, cracked blocks and blown head gaskets are no fun...usually head gasket smoke is blueish...but it depends on the severity of the blown gasket, i have seen a mustang 5.0 with no head gasjet at all on the right hand head blow whit smoke like it was burning out!

anyway, the warped heads, cracked blocks and blown head gaskets are all what could happen if it overheats too much...start with the simple...replace the O2 sensors and for the love of pete check the freeze plug...but im thinkin HG...

Regards, Cole. Relegating to troll status sometime this week. New Whip: 1990 Lexus ES250. Old Hotness: 1995 GL MTX Zetec *IN TRIAGE* "I had a little friend once, but it dont move no more... "
I
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
I
I've got an 02 sensor...of course I can't get either damn one out because they're screwed n there stiff as [censored].

I know they've gotta have tools to remove these plugs...the one before the cat is impossible to get to without removing the heatshield from the exhaust manifold.

also, freeze plug? explain.

I'm hoping its neither of what you guys are saying...I'm praying its much more simple.

What about my supposed oil leak though?

edit: just forgot to note, i had a bad 02 sensor before all of this.

Last edited by ZetecNinja; 05/17/04 12:20 PM.

IonNinja 2005 Saturn ION-2 Sedan 1996 Ford Contour GL - Collecting dust...Zetec project anyone?
I
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
I
*cough*

T
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
T
I'm so sorry to say it, man. Coolant consumption, white smoke, oil leak - all adds up to a blown head gasket.

Shouldn't be too difficult to replace on your 4 banga since most everything is easier to access than on the V-6. Good luck, & may the Ford be with you.

Must be that jumbly-wumbly thing happening again.
I
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
I
the smoke isn't blueish though

although my car does have 125K on it though so maybe it was time I hope not.

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard