Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#955671 05/15/04 01:01 AM
Z
OP Offline
Z
OK, the Contour finally had its' last problem, transmission blew up on me today (at 39xxx miles!). So, I need to get a new car.

I have 2 schools of thought. Get a 2003/2004 vechile and pay $400 a month, or get a solid used car.

I can easily do research on new cars, but used I am not so sure about. So I've come to ask for any help/suggestions. If I buy and older used (1997-2000/1) I want to spend about 10-12k TOPS. Newer car 2003+ I am prepared to spend a max of 20.

So, the question for you guys is, what would you suggest for an OLDER used car, and if you feel like delving into it, a newer used car.

I am looking for something somewhat fun, but still reliable. (yea, like everyone isn't looking for that!! hah). Some things to know.

- I want a manual!!!
- Sunroof would rock.
- I live in Minnesota, so snow is a consideration.

I was looking at 1998/9 Mitsubishi Eclipse's, and they look fun for sure... But I do not know much about them.

I plan to buy by Monday (5/17) so quick responses are most welcome!!!

H
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
H
Man you must have been really abusive to your car to have your tranny go at 39k. Many people here have trannys well over 100k, I think Rogers is like 135k or something. Why dont you fix your car, re-learn how to drive, then see how long your tranny last. By the way ever do any fluid changes to it?

A
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
A
Get like a 95 or a 96 Carolla with a 5 speed. those things move man. OR maybe try a VW jetta/golf those are pretty sweet, you could pick up a 95 or 96 for arround 4K with low miles.

98 Corolla LE 1.8L DOHC 1ZZFE TEIN H.Tech Springs Tokico HP series Struts Short ram air intake Tsudo Axel Back Exhaust ... if a jelly fish stung me.. would you pee on the wound?
T
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
T
Get an Electric VW Rabbit

Former owner of a 1995 Ford Contour GL w/ 2.0L ATX Proud owner of a 2005 Ford Taurus SE 3.0L V6 Vulcan --Looking for Commodore stuff (Drives, Units, Amiga, games, etc)If anyone has any of this laying around and wants it gone, lemme know --
N
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
N
Maxima's are good cars.
Passat's are good (do a little reasearch on their problems first)

Not to bust your bubble, but you can get a program Taurus fully loaded for way low. I had one for a month while they fixed my Tour (wiring recall) and I loved it! But considering your Ford Contour experience I can understand why you're shy on Fords.

A good idea, go to your local libray and look at the consumer reports car buying guide. They have the listing for reliability and I believe tests on most cars. They give a good honest review of pluses and minuses.

In short, research!

Good luck!

"Fear is the little death." Muadib.
R
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
R
Originally posted by Nate'sTour:
In short, research!

And see if you can't wait longer than 3 days! Rush in to this and you are REALLY liable to end up hating yourself and your new purchase for it..

Ray

'99 CSVT - Silver #222/276 In a constant state of blow-off euphoria.
Originally posted by Kremitthefrog:
I like to wear dresses and use binoculars to watch grandmas across the street.

T
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
T
"Man you must have been really abusive to your car to have your tranny go at 39k. Many people here have trannys well over 100k, I think Rogers is like 135k or something. Why dont you fix your car, re-learn how to drive, then see how long your tranny last. By the way ever do any fluid changes to it?"

Kinda harsh

There is such a thing as mechanical failure without abuse.
The problem may have nothing to do with his driving at all.

Last edited by TOURing; 05/15/04 11:41 AM.

____________________ 96 GL Sport 2.0L Zetec ATX Custom Focus Intake MSD Blaster DIS Coil ____________________
Z
OP Offline
Z
Originally posted by HITMANinMI:
Man you must have been really abusive to your car to have your tranny go at 39k. Many people here have trannys well over 100k, I think Rogers is like 135k or something. Why dont you fix your car, re-learn how to drive, then see how long your tranny last. By the way ever do any fluid changes to it?

I wish I could say I WAS abusive, then I wouldn't be so irritated. I've had the car since 1999 when it had 5k miles on it, it was a non-titled show room model with slight hail damage, so I got it cheap. I drive very little, mostly to the park-and-ride to take the bus downtown for work every day. I sometimes drive agressively, but I don't beat the hell out my cars, ever. I got that out of my system when I was 18-23, I'm 27 now, and I drive like a responsible adult, with the occasional fun runs that everyone makes once in a while.

I changed the fluids on regulaer intervals, have all the service records etc. The car was in a pretty bad accident, and Progressive made me fix it instead of totalling it out. I'm not saying the accident caused the tranny to go bad, but I never had a problem until the accident. Then it was alignment problems, creaky noises in the suspension, etc etc. It just never drove the same. (To give you an idea, try hitting a freeway median going nearly 60MPH after someone goes postal on you on the highway.. not so fun).

Anyway, thanks for the ideas guys. I am looking at a 1998 Eclipse GSX with 15k miles on it today, and after that, I just couldn't find anything with low enough miles, so I will be seriously looking at 2002/2003 Accords, Mazda 6s's, and Altimas. I'll take a look at a few Toyota's, but I don't so much like the looks of them.

Z
OP Offline
Z
A list of cars I will test driving today.

Mazda 6s, 2003
Honda Accord EX V6, 2002/2003
Nissan Altima V6, 2002/2003

Any others I should consider? All the cars I listed I can get from 18k-21k (tops). I hate to be sucked into a large car loan again, but what the heck! At least I'll have a warranty with these cars listed above.

Thanks for reading guys.

S
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
S
That's smart, trade your car because you think its unreliable for the "reliable" DSM.

The Spickle New Car: Infra Red '04 FSVT Former Car: Black '98 CSVT, #3137/6535 "The Unluckiest car.. ever"
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  GTO Pete, Trapps_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard