Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
S
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
S
I wipe off the caps on my supertrapps twice a week.

1998.5 csvt black #4686/6535 FASTER THAN A SPEEDING TICKET
J
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
J
Quote:

My stock SVT has always had black on the inside of the exhaust tips.

Word.

99 SVTC, T-Red, #652/2760-12.8.1998 Mother#@%@!* did I sound abstract? I hope it sounded more confusin than that!
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
The insides of my tail pipes are so clean you could eat off of them! To my knowledge this is a sign of a somewhat lean condition, but I'm not complaining. The car is mostly stock, drives perfectly (passed emissions) and from what I've heard running lean actually makes more power (with less gas). When I first bought the car I was suspicious of this since a lean condition is more dangerous to ones engine, but after a while I just figured this was another tick used by SVT to make more power. Turns out that I'm the only one...maybe I've got a ringer!

"Redline is just a suggestion... Sometimes isa necessary to missa use the car..." -Enzo Ferrari
A
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
A
When was the last time you checked your cars air filter?

When I got my tour, I noticed an excessive amount of soot on the stock tips. In performing the routine maintenance associated with a new vehicle, I popped the airbox and...it looked like a rat had built a nest in there (the worst I've ever seen for 11k on the clock...). A new K&N drop-in and no soot ever since!

Regards, Art

2004 Velocity Red RX-8 *Racing Beat Intake and Exhaust *Grand Touring Package *Red/Black Leather *Fender Strakes *Rotary Accents *Xenon HID's *Bose
W
wa2tuff Offline OP
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
W
Check my site. Air filter is fine.

WA 2 TUFF SVT 2000 Tropic Green SVT Born 1/28/2000-1975 out of 2150-only 207 made. Some new pics
C
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
C
Originally posted by 99SVT666:
The insides of my tail pipes are so clean you could eat off of them! To my knowledge this is a sign of a somewhat lean condition, but I'm not complaining. The car is mostly stock, drives perfectly (passed emissions) and from what I've heard running lean actually makes more power (with less gas). When I first bought the car I was suspicious of this since a lean condition is more dangerous to ones engine, but after a while I just figured this was another tick used by SVT to make more power. Turns out that I'm the only one...maybe I've got a ringer!

After 100,000 miles, my stock tips are still spotless!

Doug 2006 Mercury Milan V6 Premier Dark Blue Pearl Former owner of a 2000 SVT Contour
F
Smurfette
Smurfette
F
Originally posted by CueballSVT:

After 100,000 miles, my stock tips are still spotless!

43,000 on Cobra's 2000 SVT, and no filthy pipes.
I'm interested to see if when he installs the Borla this will change, just because of how people in this thread are saying they're seeing black on their aftermarket pipes.
I'm not convinced it's related to the changover in pipes because they're catback systems.

Kim 1995 Contour GL Needs less "needs more"
J
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
J
I'm convinced its because of the shape of the Borla tip. I'm not saying it makes more carbon, but the shape of it allows more of it to build up on the outside of the tips, where people will actually take notice.

"...first he's gonna s*!t, then he's gonna kill us." 1999 Contour SVT Retrojunk.com
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
I had no problem with this until i had my resonator cut out. Now soot not only builds up on and in the tail pipes but also creaps up on the rear valence.

Not to hijack the post. But do you guys think that's normal with the resonator cut out or do i have bigger problems?

I live in Detroit, I couldn't give a **** how good my car is in the "twisties." "I could use a hundred people who don't know there is such a word as impossible." ~Henry Ford
J
JB1 Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
J
Originally posted by Big Jim:
My stock SVT has always had black on the inside of the exhaust tips.

In the absense of any other problems, I would certainly not pursue it.

same here

00 black/tan svt, #2052 of 2150, born 2/1/00 formerly known as my csvt "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than a sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." -Martin Luther King, Jr.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  GTO Pete 

Link Copied to Clipboard