Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
D
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
D
Originally posted by svttour:
The pan assembly i got was the 3M4Z-6675-BA but im using pick up tube F8RZ-9H308-AA which is the cdw-27 pick up tube and i cut the bracket off.

Cutting off the support bracket is defiintely NOT the way to do it.

Neither is BENDING the bracket.

Foks DO NOT be cheap asses and do it the dangerous way (the support is there for a REASON) and just spend the $15 and get the new pickup.

2000 SVT #674 13.47 @ 102 - All Motor! It was not broke; Yet I fixed it anyway.
T
I have no life
OP Offline
I have no life
T
The reason the support is on there is that during testing the pick up stressed. This allowed air to be picked up along with the oil. I cut mine off and Terry had a fit when I told him that. It was only temporary but still don't do it. Just do it right the first time.

-'96 SE MTX 3L -'98 SVT 1,173 of 6,535 -'05 Mazda 6s, loaded, g/f's ride -Need a 96-00 manual on CD? PM or email me
S
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
S
how much difference do the windage tray and baffled pan really make, besides engine insurance?? and im a little confused on the cdw27, which one is the taurus 3L? and does the baffled pan from BAT only fit the 2.5 stocker?

E0 silver #185 *3L hybrid+lots of mods DYNO(moderate tune): 205 whp/ 190ftlb http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/449801
P
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
P
ok, time to clear this up again....

There is no "2.5L pan", "3.0L pan", or "Escape pan".

There are the following 3 pan setups:
1) Unique pan for 3.0L Taurus only due to packaging differences.
2) Unique pans for Jaguars & Lincoln LS. Completely different so don't even ask if they'll fit.
3) Oil pan shared by everything else including Contour, Mystique, Cougar, Mondeo, Escape, Mazda6, and Mazda MPV. So some of these are 2.5L and some are 3.0L. Got it?

The Taurus pan will have part number on it that starts with F5DE or F7DE. That's all you need to know. It's not worth the trouble of trying to mod it to work. Use your original or buy an improved pan.

The shared pan goes like this.
F53E, F73E, YL8E pans. Would work on newer engines but do not have improvements. No major functional differences.

2S7E pan. Added ribs to front of pan.

3M4E pan (3M4Z-6675-BA service number) Same as 2S7E but has improved baffle inside the pan for better drainback of oil to pickup.

5L8E pan (5L8Z-6675-AA service number). Same as 3M4E but has oil pan gasket integrated into the pan rail.

All of the improved pans above would fit on older Contours, Cougars, etc. The oil pan is independant of the pickup screen & windage tray. You don't have to run a old/new level pickup & windage tray with a old/new level pan because the location of the pickup in the pan has not changed.

However, to run the newer windage tray, you need to use the newer pickup with the newer bolts/studs. This is because the newer tray has different mounting points for the pickup. Don't try and just use your old studs and move them around to a different location. The newer studs have a different head thickness so you would change the clearance of the pickup to the bottom of the pan. So to summarize, don't mix old pickup, tray, and bolts with new. Go all old or all new.

B
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
B
i have a 2005 Escpae pan on my 2.5L, and the dipstick tube and dipstick need to be changed to the newer ones. other than that it is a direct bolt on....the pick up is the same. i only upgraded b/c i hit a rock and it ripped off the back of my 2.5 pan.

Ben

95 SE ATX Electric red mucho mods 2005 Scion xB Black Sand Pearl tinted windows red leather steering wheel US Army Mechanic
H
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
H
Originally posted by procyon:
ok, time to clear this up again....

There is no "2.5L pan", "3.0L pan", or "Escape pan".

There are the following 3 pan setups:
1) Unique pan for 3.0L Taurus only due to packaging differences.
2) Unique pans for Jaguars & Lincoln LS. Completely different so don't even ask if they'll fit.
3) Oil pan shared by everything else including Contour, Mystique, Cougar, Mondeo, Escape, Mazda6, and Mazda MPV. So some of these are 2.5L and some are 3.0L. Got it?

The Taurus pan will have part number on it that starts with F5DE or F7DE. That's all you need to know. It's not worth the trouble of trying to mod it to work. Use your original or buy an improved pan.

The shared pan goes like this.
F53E, F73E, YL8E pans. Would work on newer engines but do not have improvements. No major functional differences.

2S7E pan. Added ribs to front of pan.

3M4E pan (3M4Z-6675-BA service number) Same as 2S7E but has improved baffle inside the pan for better drainback of oil to pickup.

5L8E pan (5L8Z-6675-AA service number). Same as 3M4E but has oil pan gasket integrated into the pan rail.

All of the improved pans above would fit on older Contours, Cougars, etc. The oil pan is independant of the pickup screen & windage tray. You don't have to run a old/new level pickup & windage tray with a old/new level pan because the location of the pickup in the pan has not changed.

However, to run the newer windage tray, you need to use the newer pickup with the newer bolts/studs. This is because the newer tray has different mounting points for the pickup. Don't try and just use your old studs and move them around to a different location. The newer studs have a different head thickness so you would change the clearance of the pickup to the bottom of the pan. So to summarize, don't mix old pickup, tray, and bolts with new. Go all old or all new.

forgive the possibly stupid post:

What are the esentially RWD pan differences?

Tea 82 242Ti Proud former owner - Samantha '98 SVT #2253 Reborn Aug 21 2002 Cobra Paradise
T
I have no life
OP Offline
I have no life
T
Originally posted by Horse:

forgive the possibly stupid post:

What are the esentially RWD pan differences?

Shape to fit.

-'96 SE MTX 3L -'98 SVT 1,173 of 6,535 -'05 Mazda 6s, loaded, g/f's ride -Need a 96-00 manual on CD? PM or email me
N
N
might be another stupid post.

I understand all the differences between all the different pans. But is that to say that the stock oil pan on a 2000+ 3.0 is not as good as lets say the 5L8E? Would it be a better idea to change it out anyway whilst I have the engine outta the car?

D
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
D
Originally posted by nickvinkcsvt:
But is that to say that the stock oil pan on a 2000+ 3.0 is not as good as lets say the 5L8E?

Correct.

The 3M4Z pan or 5L8E pan are the best revision by far.

The only difference between them is the 5L8E pan has the integrated gasket. (and the kit is now $25 more expensive )

2000 SVT #674 13.47 @ 102 - All Motor! It was not broke; Yet I fixed it anyway.
G
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
G
Anyone seen one of these for the 3L? Baffled, increased capacity.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  bnoon_dup1, PA 3L SVT_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard