Print Thread
#940482 04/27/04 11:21 AM
S
svt4b Offline OP
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
S
so i just got my baby out of the trans shop getting some new goodies and found out that shes leaking brake fluid out of the inner seal on the drivers side and the brakefluid fairies keep jackin my dot3 . thats shi*ty cause thats how my buddy took out 6 trees with his 'vette, so i quickly looked into my options. i played with a rebuild kit or rebuilt brakes but for not much more i can get the wilwood 4 piston dynalite kit (calipers, pads, SSlines, and brackets) to be used with my freshly turned SVT rotors and that seems fantastic to me. she has a lot of work done and needs some good "whoa-girl skills" so whats the general concensus on this kit??
oh yeah and the calipers loaded weigh 4 lbs!

E0 silver #185 *3L hybrid+lots of mods DYNO(moderate tune): 205 whp/ 190ftlb http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/449801
#940483 04/27/04 04:32 PM
P
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
P
I think the Dynalites are a bit notorious for being somewhat flexy, but not a bad option for you. The lack of dust seals shouldn't be quite as much of a concern for you since you live in Hawaii.

- Trent MY99 CSVT black/tan Enkei RS7 (bronze) SHOShop Y pipe Eibach Pro Kit Quaife LSD
#940484 05/01/04 12:00 PM
E
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
E
Flexy? Dust Seals?
So are you saying the Dynalites aren't a good choice?

99 Cougar V6 Tourmaline Green: MTX, KKM, Borla Dual...
#940485 05/01/04 12:49 PM
T
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
T
Try this, it's on the Cougar forum;

I can expend in more detail on specifics of them if you want to speak tech.

http://www.fastcougar.com/forums/messageview.cfm?catid=12&threadid=97713

Last edited by Todd TCE; 05/01/04 12:52 PM.

Less Bling, more Zing Todd/TCE www.tceperformanceproducts.com
#940486 05/04/04 04:03 AM
W
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
W
Originally posted by svt4b:
...to be used with my freshly turned SVT rotors

I do not think that Todd's kit works with the stock SVT rotors.

I think I was the first? or second person to use the Kit on stock rims?

My kit had a 2 piece hat / rotor (12.5). As venders go Todd is a great! There was a parts issue with the kit I bought and he provided custom fabricated parts and overnight shipping at his $$$. What more can you want???? some people may go with the other options but I am very happy with what I have!

Read this..Mad Crazy and what happened next... I do not personly think I am a great driver nor would I say this was because of the breaks or tires. But I think it was more the sum of all parts working out well. I guess if I was a good driver the situation would have been avoided.

The only real problem(ish) I have with the brakes so far is every 4 - 5 months I have to place some Silicon grease on the back of the pads so they do no sqeek, I have not head of anyone else with this issue. But then the great thing is the way the pads connect I could drive to the track pull out one bolt and swap the pads to a race pads inside 5 minutes! Takes me longer to pull the wheels off (by hand) than to pull that pads!

Woz 2000 Contour SVT #136 Black with Blue leather 30% tint all around 12.2" Wilwood Billet NDL PS: I hate ALL Ford Dealers
#940487 05/04/04 05:08 AM
M
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
M
I have Todd's kit on my SVT....the big kit...plus the focus upgrade on the back...they are great on the road....they are great on the track....oh..did I mention they are great.

Anyone who says they're bad...doesn't have them....
Tell you what...I'll pass you late breaking into the first corner so you can see them as I go by!!!

Thanks all!

Mikey

99 SVT (Black) # 2642 of 2760 So Many Mods...So Little Time!!
#940488 05/04/04 01:24 PM
T
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
T
Thanks for the kind words, but lets talk calipers.

The DL is a fine part for light duty use. It very compact which helps in fit and is often put on stock rotors due to it's sizing abilities.

The NDL is a somewhat upscale version of the DL. This is a DL body but uses Superlite mounting pattern. Thus it fits all of the kit options when running a full size caliper is out of the question. And can be used up to 13" also. The advantage of the NDL over the DL is pad thickness. The DL has a pad of .490 where as the NDL has a pad which is .630 thick. That means less heat to the caliper body.

Next on the food chain is the FSL. A 'full size' caliper it has more body, stiffer build design and pads which are .800 thick. Just keep visioning stretching a caliper. The pads are also much larger so they last longer.

Lateral moves take you to the BSL6 or 6n. The full size six is about 3/8" our closer to your wheel than the FSL. Or maybe an inch + compared to the DL! The newer 6n is a more compact version of this caliper and is actually slightly narrower than the FSL. But how can this be you ask? Easy, the bridge is narrower and the pads thinner as well as the pistons shorter. Think putting a BSL6 in a vise. Bad news for heavy track users where pad material matters most. Also it's made for the 1.10 rotor so we fudge it on the .81 and then it's narrow-ness is not as effective in actuality. Good news for most folks who need the clearance, want the six but lack some room. Daily driver, occasional track day, not a race part.

The question or problem is often not what caliper you want or need but what caliper you can FIT. The Contour is only so-so for this. The preferred FSL set ups won't come close to fitting stock wheels. Also if you ever build with wider rotors like the 1.10 you compromise this even more. The rotor has to come 'out' so not to hit the suspension, thus the caliper comes with it....

From here it get's crazy. You can do the new STR caliper if you like. They run about $2200 each. But hey, the piston area is right, you'll just need about 2" wheel spacers. lol

And that pad noise can be perhaps eliminated with the Q pads, what are you running now? I'm thinking the older T pads. Give me a call, I'll do you right on some Qs if you need them.

Last edited by Todd TCE; 05/04/04 01:30 PM.

#940489 05/05/04 02:30 AM
H
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
H
Originally posted by mikey:
I have Todd's kit on my SVT....the big kit...plus the focus upgrade on the back...they are great on the road....they are great on the track....oh..did I mention they are great.

Anyone who says they're bad...doesn't have them....
Tell you what...I'll pass you late breaking into the first corner so you can see them as I go by!!!

Thanks all!

Mikey

whats the focus upgrade?

Hugo AIM:omegazodiac 95 gl & 99 contour svt #1750/2760 my profile pics stuff for sale
#940490 05/05/04 03:29 AM
T
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
T
If it's mine, its the larger 11.75 x .75 vented rotor kit. Not really Focus, that ones .375

Moderated by  Andy W._dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard