Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#93829 10/22/00 01:38 AM
F
F
One the Ford or ex-Ford engineers on this forum noted about the Duratec's design? I can't remember his exact comments, but the gist of it came down to the fact that the Duratec's small block to power output related to btu/heat build up, even normal driving, hence the 5.8 qt oil capacity.
Bottom line for me, as long as I can afford Mobil 1, I'm using it. After purchasing my 98 Mystique 7/97, 1 year later, the phone company said bye bye after 28 years, so this car is going to have to last at least another 10-12 years or more. I hope the Ceo's & Wigs who wanted to cut costs in the late 90's (not just the phone company), can remember those folks who they dumped may not be supporting the economy in the future when it comes time to replace big ticket items. Cause replacement jobs are paying 40-75% less. Of course what will they care, they've already skimmed the cream. I know , shut-up ORF.
Oh yes, Castrol Syntec, I later 98 ?? they came out with "Active Lubricant" on the label??? time frame???
Not sure what they did, but it's junk compared to their earlier Syntec??? I've got a complaint that Castrol Tech is working on and supposed to get back to me. In 1999 I used the new Active stuff in my wife's 89 Probe. It got changed twice in 99 & into 00(5 months intervals using Syntec)and I just happen to remove the valve cover inspecting how the valve train was looking.(4 months ago) I had replaced lifters(lash adjusters) in late 98 and all was clean.(before & after) As far as that goes, its been clean every time I've looked over the last 11 years. However, since using the new Syntec "Active Lube" the whole inside of the cover,lifters etc was just black??? Looked like black soot from a 1000 candles. It was extremely hard to remove. I've heard back once from Castrol's tech group wanting more info and it just so happens I maintain an exacting log of everything I do to my vehicles. That was over 3 weeks ago, No, I don't expect to hear back either. Customer service in the US is really gone down in the last 2-3 years. It's all about "Sorry to hear your having trouble with our product Sir and hope you will continue to thing of us on your next purchase". Translated---"What's our profits today"
Thanks for your time!
Paul
ntaceng@sprintmail.com

#93830 10/22/00 02:12 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Hi my name is Jim and I am new here. I have spent a lot of time modding out my Ride. Or as I love to call it - The Red Bandit!!!

Anyways, I think that the lubricant I have found to be of greatest give and take performance wise is that of ROYAL PURPLE. I change the lubricant every 4000 or so and it never displays any excessive discoloration. Furthermore to that, I don't think that I am burning off much oil, at all.

Just my 2cents on this thread.

Toodles.

------------------
99 Ford Contour SVT
Red Little Bandit!!!
Electronic HP guage - Gtech Hooked Up!
Slammed
Door Handles Shaved and Filled
Interior Neon Bulbs
Custom Exhaust Dynomax Muffler
KKM Pulleys
....And Brake Upgrade desired soon...XENONS Wanted too...

#93831 10/22/00 07:04 PM
F
F
Terry
With your contacts maybe this gentleman might answer your Castrol question. Ed Kollin
director of R&D for Lubrication Science in Scotch Plains, New Jersey
It's from an C&D article by PATRICK BEDARD
Searching for the right motor oil for 'keeper cars.' I thing? If you want the whole article send me an e-mail ntaceng@sprintmail.com
The gent sounds like a person who knows the real story about oil.
Paul

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  GTO Pete 

Link Copied to Clipboard