Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#93771 10/06/00 10:54 PM
T
OP Offline
T
I'm confused,you have given the uprated specs of your motor but in the topic 'uprated PCM's' you say that we will have to upgrade our gas,with your setup dont you already run the highest octane? ,also confused about the 'ovehead cam...etc',what type of cam set up do you have at the moment?Thanks TAH

V6 MTX
'Don't p**s up my back then tell me it's raining!!!"
'Its only nuts & bolts!'
'If I build it,fix it,upgrade it or modify it...MAYBE they will come....!
Haines Motor Sports Inc,
Dealer for 'Quaife America' & 'Autotech Sport Tuning'
SOLE USA Dealer for the American Axle 'AUSSIE BAR'...
Get a Turbo for you Zetec from HMS Inc...by 'The Demon' ...www.DemonDynamics.co.uk
..don't talk about it DO IT !!!
T
OP Offline
T
Anyone home?

V6 MTX
'Its only nuts & bolts!'
Haines Motor Sports Inc,
Get a Turbo for you Zetec from HMS Inc...by 'The Demon' ...www.DemonDynamics.co.uk
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Hello Terry,

I have had my engine balanced and blueprinted yes. I retained the OEM Spec PCM Module to prevent expenses from rising even higher at the time. Furthermore, my goal was to just use nitrous as a real power booster. Rather than being forcved to use premium gas all the time when it is so expensive and rising daily! So as rudimentary/plain dumb as it may be I have not yet changed the PCM Module or switched over to higher octane the engine is fine for me ((right now)) w/o doing so....I RESPECT YOUR OPINION AND YOUR ATTITUDE...whaty do you think that the next step should be for me??

I really need a transmission overhaul it is starting to go... but engine wise it is obvious that a new PCM/higher octane could boost performance significantly. But I don't want to be forced to 94 octane and 1.99 a gallon at fill-up! Where the hell should i go regarding this dilemma?

The cams I have are still stock but, the journals etc. were reviewed for my knowledge during teardown. i have their lift/intake/exhuast specs and all htat somewhere at my house. I think that this could be another way to go to easily boost power seeing as how the rest of my wngine is really overdone for normal aspiration, when I am not on nitrous.

Do you think I have the potential to get this thing to 275HP- 300HP w/o fog or what???? w/above mods - cam and/or PCM?

Respectfully yours,

sinepsgib

T
OP Offline
T
I'm not aware of aftermarket cams yet.I'm sure you should be using higher octane right now.With the level of mods you discribe I would think the engine would det a lot.Over 300hp is possible with an intercooled tubo setup,but the bottom end has to have extensive work.Were your conrods forged or machined from solid by your m/c shop?

V6 MTX
'Its only nuts & bolts!'
Haines Motor Sports Inc,
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Quote:
Originally posted by Terry Haines:
I'm not aware of aftermarket cams yet.I'm sure you should be using higher octane right now.With the level of mods you discribe I would think the engine would det a lot.Over 300hp is possible with an intercooled tubo setup,but the bottom end has to have extensive work.Were your conrods forged or machined from solid by your m/c shop?

They were FORGED. Yes, yes I know the process is laborious and an expert trade and requires equipement that probably isn't all that common... That is why I have gotten such problemsd here. But, these guys were subjected to my begging and supplicating for months and themn they happened to have a cancelled order on some titanium designated for this bicycle racing team over in europe - germany I think they said. Anyhowm, they would forge the materials in shop for custom bicycles and sometimes motorcycle internal components and slotted/drilled racing brake rotors I guess.

They had enlightenedd me to the fact that the forging of mtorcycle engine parts was in the area of expertise as well as tearing them down and dedicating them to spec for racing - SO WHY NOT AUTOMOTIVE ENGINE PARTS?!! That's why I hounded them. AND forged rather than machined is best!

Do not rag on me fior their number please - I was asssured that they would not want to do this for a mass production and the cast/part specifications were not promised to be retained)as they "constantly were developing and recycling cast material" - or the process for god's sake I am not a metallurgist...

Thaks for the TIPs above. But, I really need to save up for some tranny upgrades. No cams huh? Perhaps they can be done by a typical speed shop though for more performance?

Say what area of the US are you in again?

------------------
Sinep
Sphincter-R 'Cuz It'll Blow You Away
Running 13.89 1/4 @ 119 MPH Old Englsishtown, NJ
98 Contour SVT (Eng B&B)
Custom Intake
Operation 150 shot NOS
Cut out the resonator
King Rally Lights
Sears wheels - "Z Racing"
Underdrive Pulleys
Connecting Rods
KKM
Ericsson Phone Hooked up
Rubber by Nitto
Hot Xst Slamdunk Style
Oodles of carbon fiber
Matching tasteful decals
Overhead cam is coming!

T
OP Offline
T
I'm in W/Mi ,I think the rods would have to have been forged in a foundry Vs your machine shop as a large press/drop forge is required,they did the finish machining/cap split etc.It would be nice to know the grade of titanium,I ask because if they 'recycle' material you could end up with a '*******',excuse term,alloy.With somthing like this I hope they did a full met lab check etc.Regards TAH

V6 MTX
'Its only nuts & bolts!'
Haines Motor Sports Inc,
W
W
I don't want to sound negative, but I can't believe that you're running nitrous without also using high octane gas. That is just not possible without grenading your engine. An engine on nitrous is under more stress than an engine with high compression. I'm sure I don't know everything, but I've been working with high performance engines for about 25 years now - am I missing something here?

-Wes
98 SE Sport
'66 HiPo Mustang
'66 Corvette
'76 Porsche

T
OP Offline
T
wjang,
we shall see?,I'm a little lost on this one too!!!

V6 MTX
'Its only nuts & bolts!'
Haines Motor Sports Inc,
T
OP Offline
T
sine,
can we please get this posting resolved...thank you.

V6 MTX
'Its only nuts & bolts!'
Haines Motor Sports Inc,
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Quote:
sine,
can we please get this posting resolved...thank you.

When going to the track I always use that 108 "turbo" Octane booster. Howver, I don't use premium for everyday driving. Concurrently I don't use nitrous then either, unless I am racing some hardcore drivers/cars. And this is rare as I don't like using nitrous on the streets where the road I am on is often not familiar or glass smooth as at the strip.

BUt I have used nitrous about twenty to twenty five times on the street over the past three years and rarely with no octane adjustment - pump lower octane usually 89 Octane "midrange." I need NOS to outpace s/c and large turbo's especially. I have no issues with the engine! I believe that my tranny is failing for sure though.

LAter guys!

T
OP Offline
T
Still think with your set up you should use premium all the time.Det & knock will kill that motor.

V6 MTX
'Its only nuts & bolts!'
Haines Motor Sports Inc,
S
S
I wanted to chime in about that but I wasn't sure if I was right. Even after blueprinting and whatever, doesn't the SVT STILL need 91 or higher octane to prevent detonation 'cause of the CR and whatnot? Or did I miss something and was the compression ratio changed?

I just read an article pitting the Ferrari F360 Spyder against the BMW Z08 and with all the study and development that went into the Z08 - I'm surprised it doesn't use TiCon-Rods... but the F360 does.

Sal Khan

'00 Silver SVT - KKM, SMA Torque brace.

'00.5 Aprilia RSV Mille - Renegade 2-2 Exhaust, Renegade Air Kit, lots of chips, Evoluzione Ignition Amp, 44t Rear Sprocket

Want to see what I did for lunch today? Check out http://www.mindspring.com/~salk/Lunch/LunchJournal.html !!!
T
OP Offline
T
I would expect the Ferrari to use it,which is the most expensive car?

V6 MTX
'Its only nuts & bolts!'
Haines Motor Sports Inc,
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Quote:
Still think with your set up you should use premium all the time.Det & knock will kill that motor.

Really? I have not had any noise form the engine at all that's unordinary. WHAT OCTANE DO YOU RECOMMEND???? Wh yis it the the B&B would require the octane to be higher anyway, especially w/stock ECM???? I always understood, and apparently from my sources at the shop that knock and ping would not arise from the procedure. I have been running 89 Oct typically remember.

I must get the details of the entire proces for you whenever I can get the material aforementioned. I am not sure if it is B7Bed to the extent that you are talking of....

talk to you laters

------------------
Sinep
98 Contour SVT (Eng B&B)
Custom Intake
Operation 150 shot NOS
Cut out the resonator
King Rally Lights
Underdrive Pulleys
Connecting Rods
KKM
Ericsson Phone Hooked up
Rubber by Nitto
Hot Xst Slamdunk Style
Oodles of carbon fiber
Matching tasteful decals
Overhead cam is coming!

T
OP Offline
T
The highest you can get!My old motor was one of the first,its blueprinted and I always run premium gas.You should have the CR numbers from the guy who blueprinted the motor,from the chamber volume measurements etc.

V6 MTX
'Its only nuts & bolts!'
Haines Motor Sports Inc,
R
Administrator
Administrator
R
SVT recommends at least 91 octane because of the 10.25:1 CR (I think 10:1 for the earlier cars) so it isn't necessarily B&B that makes you need higher octane. The Duratec does have knock sensors that will back out timing if detonantion is detected (kills power) so you can usually get away w/ 89 but it isn't a good idea, especially w/ NOS.
sinep, you may wish to get a ID-10T chip to control detonation under NOS.

It's all about balance.

bcphillips@peoplepc.com
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Quote:
Originally posted by Rara:
SVT recommends at least 91 octane because of the 10.25:1 CR (I think 10:1 for the earlier cars) so it isn't necessarily B&B that makes you need higher octane. The Duratec does have knock sensors that will back out timing if detonantion is detected (kills power) so you can usually get away w/ 89 but it isn't a good idea, especially w/ NOS.
sinep, you may wish to get a ID-10T chip to control detonation under NOS.

:-)
Sanks for the info RARA!!!

where Can i Obtain such a Chip liKe this one? DAMN IT!!! My KeYboard is All sCreWy Over here, ooops, there it is ok again. This chip is really worthwhile it sounds like! What is the market value?

Sinepsgib

J
J
Hook, line and sinker...

Bzzzz

TB

Quote:
Originally posted by sinepsgib:

where Can i Obtain such a Chip liKe this one? DAMN IT!!! My KeYboard is All sCreWy Over here, ooops, there it is ok again. This chip is really worthwhile it sounds like! What is the market value?

Sinepsgib

Tony Boner
Personal: 98cdw27@charter.net Work: tony.boner@sun.com
Saving the computer world from WinBloze as Unix/Solaris/Java Guru http://www.sun.com
1998 Contour SVT Pre-E1 618/6535 Born On Date: 4/30/1997
Now with Aussie Bar induced mild oversteer.
L
L
You spent $14,000 in engine mods but you don't want to spend the money for premium fuel? If I spent $14,000 for motor-work and only ran in the 13's I'd be pissed. I understand that traction would be a problem but still. I run 92 octane in my car and it's a 95GL with 83,000 miles. DON'T BE CHEAP!

T
OP Offline
T
Tboner
rod,reel & dock!

V6 MTX
'Its only nuts & bolts!'
Haines Motor Sports Inc,
S
S
Over some rice with some Wasabi.

Sal Khan

'00.5 Aprilia RSV Mille - Renegade 2-2 Exhaust, Renegade Air Kit, lots of chips, Evoluzione Ignition Amp, 44t Rear Sprocket

Want to see what I did for lunch today? Check out http://www.mindspring.com/~salk/Lunch/LunchJournal.html !!!
S
S
I think Terry has developed a knack for weeding out the garden eh? >=D

Sal Khan

J
J
Nice catch! I guess it IS true it's all about how you wiggle you worm (no lewd comments, either).

I really should learn finesse, instead of the howitzer tactic...

------------------
James Tompkins
Tulsa, OK
loken@ionet.net

99 Red Rocket SVT
#143/2760
Modded to Taste...

00 Corvette Coupe (loan)
Modded for Haste...

JaTo
Overland Park, KS
JaTo@kc.rr.com

99 Contour SVT
#143/2760
Modded to Taste

00 Corvette Coupe
Modded to Haste
S
S
Definitely... It's an artform really and usually takes a little mastering.

At least that's what I'm told.

I'm sure Terry can vouch for that. >=D

Sal Khan

T
OP Offline
T
Age does have its plus side!

V6 MTX
'Its only nuts & bolts!'
Haines Motor Sports Inc,
J
J
Then again, isn't it fun to watch people explode in 360 different directions when you hit the target?

Being 26, I'm a FIRM believer that old age (or expierence) and treachery will whip youth and ambition's a$$ all over the floor pretty much 9 times out of 10. I've seem masses of victims fall to it (myself included), so I've got a healthy respect for it.

Watch and learn. Watch and learn.

WE really do need a kill section on this board, because this DEFINITELY qualifies...

------------------
James Tompkins
Tulsa, OK
loken@ionet.net

99 Red Rocket SVT
#143/2760
Modded to Taste...

00 Corvette Coupe (loan)
Modded for Haste...

[This message has been edited by JaTo (edited October 10, 2000).]

JaTo
Overland Park, KS
JaTo@kc.rr.com

99 Contour SVT
#143/2760
Modded to Taste

00 Corvette Coupe
Modded to Haste
T
OP Offline
T
rara made a comment about 'ignoring engineers' in one of his posts...think on,what do you think 15 years with the blue oval gives you,an older chief engineer (German of course) I had in uk had a large poster outside his door 'When experience speaks ...lets listen',I was a lot younger then but it stuck with me.Regards TAH

V6 MTX
'Its only nuts & bolts!'
Haines Motor Sports Inc,
R
Administrator
Administrator
R
sine,
Most performance shops will have these ID-10T chips in stock, just ask at the parts counter, they usually keep them in back.

It's all about balance.

bcphillips@peoplepc.com
D
D
ID-10T

yup, I can vouch for that

David Zambrano
svt_mondeo at yahoo dot com
CSVT E1 #4808 - soon to be 400hp
You get what you pay for. All advice here is free.
http://www.geocities.com/svt_mondeo- my homepage
E
E
while we are pulling the hook from his mouth, maybe we shouldn't throw him back in the water yet, and give him a chance to start over as a rookie, so he can learn and not lie...
bill p
98.5 svt
slow as christmas

Bill P.
There are 2 keys to success:
1.) Never tell everything you know
B
B
"Sinep
Running 13.89 1/4 @ 119 MPH Old Englsishtown, NJ"

119mph, and only 13.89ET? you're full of ****.

[This message has been edited by BlkSVT (edited October 10, 2000).]

G
G
Amen ... We don't just get older ... but according to my kid the older he gets the smarter I get ... Hmmm

------------------
98 SVT

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Ok guys just go fly a kite. I am tired and weray of your put-downs put offs and mocketry. I will only talk about what I would like to do and I DO NOT WANT ANY MORE DISCUSSION OPF WHAT I HAVE. It has been a performance discussion, not a scathing inferno, I could go other places for that. I thank RARA and Terry fopr their guidance and interest. You CAN'T CAHNGE WHAT I HAVE GOT.

------------------
Sinep
98 Contour SVT (Eng B&B)
Custom Intake
Operation 150 shot NOS
Cut out the resonator
King Rally Lights
Underdrive Pulleys
Connecting Rods
KKM
Ericsson Phone Hooked up
Rubber by Nitto
Hot Xst Slamdunk Style
Oodles of carbon fiber
Matching tasteful decals
Overhead cam is coming!

S
S
How come you don't have any pictures Penis? I mean Sinep...

Surely with all your contacts and favors done, someone has to have a camera you can use.

You know Wal-Mart (and many other places) now develop film direct to CD as JPGs! It's amazing!

Sal Khan

R
R
Once again, Terry is King!

------------------
1999 Silver Frost 2.0 SE Zetec
Sony ES Mobile Xplod Stereo
BAT Bright Whites

Kharma is very real and she is one mean b!tch.
D
D
Overhead cam is coming -??? WTF

oh yeah, I forgot yours is the older pushrod version right?

------------------
David Z.
Silver E1 #4808 w/stuff
http://daplace.spedia.net

David Zambrano
svt_mondeo at yahoo dot com
CSVT E1 #4808 - soon to be 400hp
You get what you pay for. All advice here is free.
http://www.geocities.com/svt_mondeo- my homepage
T
T

Wouldn't his trap speed be 89 to 90 MPH? I know it wouldn't be 119!!! A 3000 pound car with 221 wheel HP not crank hp could run a 13.89 but at 90MPH not 119. Let me know if I'm wrong here.

------------------
96 Blk. SE MTX, Dunlop D60A2's, KKM, OMP bar, VooDoo knob, tint, Mondeo rear sunshade, Custom wheels, painted calipers, SP rotors front w/ Carbon pads front and semi met. in rear, SVT exhaust, 24V SS sill protectors, painted grill, BAT bushings, & Pioneer 2&3 ways.
http://photos.yahoo.com/todras

"If you're pushing crazy I'm all full up here."

{Black '96 Contour SE MTX w/ over 126k on the clock}
· Get the skinny here.
· Need a 96-00 Ford Service Manual on CDROM?
M
Moe Offline
M
119 mph in the 1/4, no way.......MABEY 99. Your car can't be making that much power to go through the traps at 119. I had a 79 Z/28 w/ a small block that ran 13.7 @ 104. Not trying to be an a$$hole, but those numbers just don't jive. I

------------------
Mike
Bel Air, Maryland
Black 98.5 SVT #5486
w/ a few mods

-- Mike (Moe)Lester --
98.5 SVT #5486
moesvt@comcast.net
Get your a$$ on IM and stop wasting bandwidth!!!!!!
S
S
Quote:
Originally posted by todras:

Wouldn't his trap speed be 89 to 90 MPH? I know it wouldn't be 119!!! A 3000 pound car with 221 wheel HP not crank hp could run a 13.89 but at 90MPH not 119. Let me know if I'm wrong here.

I run a 15.1 at 90.something. so i think he'd hopefully break that if he hit 13's. But I agree with the 119 being a bit too high.

------------------
Jason Holmes
15.167@90.790
'99 SVT Green/Tan
#1990 of 2760
Koni/H&R Combo
Hoodliner Removed
'95 Sail Panels
Voodoo Shift Knob Engraved w/ SVT and Shift Pattern

R
R
ID-10T chip? ROFLMAO!!!

Reggie Wallace
'98.5 SVT (E1) - Silver Frost
#5450 out of 6135, born-on date: 4/1/1998
...I wouldn't want to bore you with my mod list :-)
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  GTO Pete 

Link Copied to Clipboard