Print Thread
#937359 04/23/04 08:02 PM
B
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
B
Alrighty.. heres the skinny.

Gonna do the mil's later this month, have already ditched the middle cat. Therefore I will not have any. A certain person has said if I were to add a "high flow" cat back into the system (middle one) I would not loose any performance gains by adding a chip.

Now this is what I am trying to understand. High flow cat is just this, straight through. Does not increase back pressure significatly at all. So my question is this, has anyone added a chip, kept there mid cat and have a dyno run, and or has a chip with no cats and felt a loss? If this is the case I will simply remove the factory one from the headers and use that as a mid cat to increase backpressure.

Any thoughts?

Borla exhaust, Custom intake, KVR Cross drilled rotors, Mil Eliminators, Diablo chip, OMP Strut bar, Urethane motor mount insert, Full rear urethane suspension inserts.
A
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
A
I would just go completely catless. I did on my 'tique, I used a superchip, and a set of MIL's from Dallas Mustang. No problems whatsoever. I had a true dual setup too though...

I would not want to add just one main cat... Cats are most efficient when closer to the engine (heat), put it too far away and it will be just added weight and a sound limiter. I would rather have a very large resonator in its place. Plus we don't have any really strictly enforced pollution laws... so why have them on the car?

If you can tune it without the cats (least backpressure) you should make some decent power. Tuning is the key though. I was losing power (but dyno) with my chip in and this setup then I was with the chip out.

2005 Focus ST
C
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
C
Originally posted by advocate:
If you can tune it without the cats (least backpressure) you should make some decent power. Tuning is the key though. I was losing power (but dyno) with my chip in and this setup then I was with the chip out.

I'm currently catless, but due to Ontario emissions I gotta put a main one on.
I will probably put on a magnaflow high flow cat.

advocate you say you lost power with no cats? How much hp did you lose without a chip?

1996 2.5LT V6 Contour ATX My Tour+help/info pics E0 rims, Gutted Pre-Cats,CTA Custom Exhaust & Intake, Diablo Chip.
A
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
A
I didnt feel any power loss. though my butt isnt the most accurate way of measuring power.

The car was very peppy with no cats and a true dula 2" system consisting of 2 resonators per side. Up top (where the duratec lives) was great for power, it flowed awesome. Yet down low for cruising around the car seemed easier to accelerate and did not require to downshift much at all at lower rpm's. though maybe my tranny mods had to do with that...

Of course your mileage may vary

with the chip my car ran the exact same times as it did without it. with the power it lost it made up with a higher shift point and the work it did with the tranny.

the car felt better without it with the exception of shifting, it just seemed to have more power especially down low. and if you shift manually you can get the higher shift point anyways.

2005 Focus ST
B
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
B
Originally posted by chongo:
Originally posted by advocate:

I will probably put on a magnaflow high flow cat.

advocate you say you lost power with no cats? How much hp did you lose without a chip?

Well, Dalton says he might drop drive clean, so you may be ok, Chongo...

95 LX/SE V6 5 Speed NUN 1 http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/588083 "The Contour SE is the best American car I have ever driven and one of the best cars period." Larry Griffin - C&D
CEG\'er
CEG\'er

Ask just about any coffee truck driver, they'll know where you can get a hot smog (about$150)

W
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
W
Your 'middle' cat isn't its a resonator. The zetec cat is bolted to the exhaust manifold , between the rad and block. Removing it will not affect smog but will affect sound.
Cat - resonator - muffler

2012 Lotus Evora --------- 95 Mystique MTX - GONE 395,000 Kms --------- Both Zetecs '97 Contour Mtx - stock - GONE

Moderated by  Lance Kinley_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard