Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
#93694 09/15/00 09:40 PM
J
J
Pardon me, as I speak 'merican, but can understand English from time to time. (Reminds me of learning that my German friends while in school have the choice of learning English or American language.

If I understand, you have concerns about cooling the engine. I think the SVT has a larger capacity radiator than the standard Duratec Contour, so I suspect that would sufficiently cool our 3L vehicle.

I get the FEAD, and I think that is addressed in the packaging of the 3L for the Escape/Tribute.

And since we seldom have the opportunity to explore the higher RPM's, I personally will trade some top end HP for that good old American low end grunt. I'd be happy with 190-200HP with a really flat torque curve. So when you do tip into it, you get going right away. (Sorta like that M-Coupe I drove 6 weeks ago!)

Of course, I'd be orgasmic with 240+HP and that really flat torque curve , but now we are talking about a upgrades for the transaxle as well.

Cheers,

TB

Quote:
Originally posted by Terry Haines:
TB,
Main problem with existing 3.0 is the FEAD,sticks out more than 2.5,if the pump is back on the came drive should be able to maintain overall engine length/width of the existing 2.5.As to the intake,dipite many opinions port deact does have merit for low speed torque and good cylinder filling by maintaining high gas velocity into the port at low engine speed,the key is the transition points,bit like an old two stage carb(Weber etc,now I'm showing my age!)Have to watch this as 'bigger is not always better',need to test both set up on a flowbench with heads ,manifolds,stock valve openings etc to get the real picture.One other point,back to cooling,should consider a rad with increased fin density,the duratech HATES to be cooked,the heads will warp in a hartbeat! re grinding them/deck face helps little as the deck & head material is thin to start with so after machining the chances of warpage are greater...keep it cool!Hope some of this helps.The moral is you can fit almost anything in anything...given time & money,is it worth it? I myself feel a wll sorted 2.5 is better than more cubes.Regards TAH

[This message has been edited by tboner (edited September 15, 2000).]

Tony Boner
Personal: 98cdw27@charter.net Work: tony.boner@sun.com
Saving the computer world from WinBloze as Unix/Solaris/Java Guru http://www.sun.com
1998 Contour SVT Pre-E1 618/6535 Born On Date: 4/30/1997
Now with Aussie Bar induced mild oversteer.
#93695 09/15/00 09:59 PM
T
OP Offline
T
TB
The Duratech was never designed for 'grunt',its revs are its power.Most,if not all,multi valve setups work on a lower % of cylinder filling but more of them,conventional 'grunt' type V8's with only 2 valves per pot need the higher cylinder filling.Look at a 'small' capacity F1,no low speed grunt but made up for by more revs.Not many 'multi-valve' engines out there with the grunt,but I think an F1 Cosworh/Merc Benz makes the power ok.TAH

V6 MTX
'Don't p**s up my back then tell me it's raining!!!"
'Its only nuts & bolts!'
'If I build it,fix it,upgrade it or modify it...MAYBE they will come....!
Haines Motor Sports Inc,
Dealer for 'Quaife America' & 'Autotech Sport Tuning'
SOLE USA Dealer for the American Axle 'AUSSIE BAR'...
Get a Turbo for you Zetec from HMS Inc...by 'The Demon' ...www.DemonDynamics.co.uk
..don't talk about it DO IT !!!
#93696 09/15/00 10:03 PM
D
D
T-boner,

Eric g. posted some dyno data with his SHM headers/Y pipe + custom chip burn awhile back demonstrating (I think) 176 HP & 170 HP @ the crank. This is about 205 HP and 200 lb/ft, comparable to the 3.0L (stock) although youll have to ask him about the curve itself - but with the dual runner intake probably the relatively flat heart shape curve. If 200 HP is ok and you want big torque, then there is 35 extra lb/ft for easier than a 3.0 swap

Dan

1999 Amazon Green SVT Contour (#554/2760)
Stock SVT Duratec V6 with:
Intake- K&N filter/75mm MAF meter
Exhaust- MSDS Y-pipe/Bassani catback
Durability-Ford "dual mode" damper, Mobil 1/K&N oil filter
179.2 FWHP at 6900 RPM
#93697 09/16/00 06:40 AM
C
Administrator
Administrator
C
OK.. Here's the page I made for Terry. It ahs all the stuff he sent me.
http://crush7.dyndns.org/terry_haines.htm

Check it out. Terry, see if you can get some better scans of those pages with text on them. Can't read a damn thing!!

------------------
Chris Hightower
http://crush7.dyndns.org/

-Chris Hightower-
-Hightower Performance Products, LLC

(Oo.«xx».oO)
o xxxxxxxxx o
#93698 09/16/00 12:48 PM
J
J
Quote:
Originally posted by Dan Nixon:
T-boner,

Eric g. posted some dyno data with his SHM headers/Y pipe + custom chip burn awhile back demonstrating (I think) 176 HP & 170 HP @ the crank. This is about 205 HP and 200 lb/ft, comparable to the 3.0L (stock) although youll have to ask him about the curve itself - but with the dual runner intake probably the relatively flat heart shape curve. If 200 HP is ok and you want big torque, then there is 35 extra lb/ft for easier than a 3.0 swap

Dan

Ahh, yes, but if I start with the 3L, then I've got a head start on 240+HP with similar torque figures. Apply a lot of the same mods and you have a pretty sweet engine!

(To be driven in sunshine only, with appropriate transaxle bits to hold it all to gether etc)

Cheers,

TB

Tony Boner
Personal: 98cdw27@charter.net Work: tony.boner@sun.com
Saving the computer world from WinBloze as Unix/Solaris/Java Guru http://www.sun.com
1998 Contour SVT Pre-E1 618/6535 Born On Date: 4/30/1997
Now with Aussie Bar induced mild oversteer.
#93699 09/16/00 02:39 PM
S
S
Wow, thanks for sharing your wealth of knowledge! (Pssst....now ask him about a different oil pan Dan N.)

Cheers,
Brian

------------------
Some Pics, Specs, and Mods
Sanctum's Car Pics

#93700 09/16/00 02:46 PM
T
OP Offline
T
Have posted thoughts etc for Dan on the oil pan/foaming /starvation issue under 'Attn Terry Haines.Does anyone have the oil temps at time of 'blow' ?

V6 MTX
'Don't p**s up my back then tell me it's raining!!!"
'Its only nuts & bolts!'
'If I build it,fix it,upgrade it or modify it...MAYBE they will come....!
Haines Motor Sports Inc,
Dealer for 'Quaife America' & 'Autotech Sport Tuning'
SOLE USA Dealer for the American Axle 'AUSSIE BAR'...
Get a Turbo for you Zetec from HMS Inc...by 'The Demon' ...www.DemonDynamics.co.uk
..don't talk about it DO IT !!!
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  GTO Pete 

Link Copied to Clipboard