Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
P
Pigeon Offline OP
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
I'm doing an open track day with the local BMW club at Watkins Glen in May, and I'll need a helmet. I'd prefer to buy rather than borrow if I can get a good one inexpensively enough. Spare me the "$2 helmet for a $2 brain" - I know what my brain is worth and feel that any Snell certified helmet will do the job just fine. Recommendations for a good, inexpensive helmet along with reasons why the helmet is being recommended would be appreciated.

Scott

Troll! '99 BMW 328i
E
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
E
This is what I bought, I bought a GF650 M2000 for autocrossing
you might be required to have a SA2000 model, basic difference is the SA2000 has a Nomex Lining.
Racer Wholesale

99 Cougar V6 Tourmaline Green: MTX, KKM, Borla Dual...
M
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
M
Better be sure which Snell rating is OK. Some groups will require you to run a Snell SA-rated helmet which will be harder to find and more expensive than the more common Snell M rating.

Pacific Green '96 Contour LX V6 â??98 GTP, light mods, 14.66/94 Calypso Green '92 Mustang LX coupe, 13.56/101 Crown Autocross Club 1999 Street Tire Champion, 2000/2001/2002 Street Modified Champion KCR SCCA 2002 Solo II Street Modified Champion
E
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
E
Harder to find?
dunno racerWholesale has both, the SA is $40 more than the M
Just ask or find out what you need for the track event. for autocrossing M's are ok.

99 Cougar V6 Tourmaline Green: MTX, KKM, Borla Dual...
C
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
C
Make sure you check with Racer Wholesale BEFORE placing your order. I ordered two SA00 helmets in January and only one ever arrived they were on backorder for so long.
I ended up cancelling the order for the second helmet and re-ordering it through Jegs for like $40 more - but they were in stock.
Racer Wholesale IS a good company to deal with IMO - just make sure they HAVE what you need in stock.

BTW, SA are rated for fire protection and repeated impacts not single impacts as in M(otorcycle) helmets.

Now owner of 0 SVT's. my web page
R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
If you're going to buy a helmet, think long term. They are expensive.

Yes, M helmets are OK for autocross, and some open track days, depending on host organization. SA helmets offer additional protections, as noted, and can have a smaller eye opening than a motorcycle helmet. If you think you'll need an SA helmet in the next 5-10 years, get one.

I'd also make the pitch for full-face, even in a closed car. If you roll, you'll want to protect your jawbone, too. More money at first, but you might be glad later. I've also heard "real" racers, who've been in fiery wrecks, make the same pitch based on fire protection, but that's only valid if you leave the face shield on.

Finally, fit. Different brands fit differently, and everybody's head is different. I haven't found a Bell to this day that fits my head properly, even though they make a fine helmet.

I bought a new-old-stock AGV M helmet off of E-bay for like 65 bucks shipped. Came with warranty and everything. I tried on some AGV helmets at a local shop.

Function before fashion. '96 Contour SE "Toss the Contour into a corner, and it's as easy to catch as a softball thrown by a preschooler." -Edmunds, 1998
W
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
W
I'll chime in with the full face argument too -- if you decide to play on karts sometime, which I highly recommend, you will have to use a FF with shield. I, for one, don't want to share face and hair sweatfunk with anybody else, especially people that I don't know.

Whirling dervish of FFOG.
B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
Yes get a full face, I have somehow had some [censored] come in the car and hit my visor hard, that is with sticky slicks that love to throw [censored], but it gives you more protection, crashes included. And definitely get an sa helmet, I know we have turned people away for track days with m's

98 3.0 svt: Sold
T
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
T
This is what I just bought a few weeks ago. Bell Sport 3

Why be cheap? Buy the best you can afford and make sure it fits right. A helment is not something where I'm concerned about saving a few dollars here or there.

Then: 99 Silver Frost SVT #1919 237hp/219tq All Motor Now: 06 White STI Parts 4 sale
P
Pigeon Offline OP
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
Thanks for all the good info so far. I'll probably go for an inexpensive M-rated full-face helmet. My biggest concern at this point is whether I'll actually have head room in the car to wear a helmet. I'm 6'2" and long in the torso, and even with the seat all the way down it's a pretty close fit from my skull to the headliner. Damned sunroof...

I'll locate a shop locally and try a few things on and see if there's any major difference in how high they sit on my head before I make a firm decision on anything.

Scott

Troll! '99 BMW 328i
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Auto-X Fil 

Link Copied to Clipboard