Print Thread
Page 3 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 14 15
#929374 04/15/04 12:57 PM
U
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
U
This is some great stuff!! Ideas are just boiling.

Pete, I didn't think about riveting the pieces. See why I need you guys on this?

Keep the ideas coming while I go read this site, Performance Coatings that I found on Google.

Phillip Jackson `98 Mystique LS 262K+ and counting... ATX rebuilt @ 151K "This storm has broken me, my only friend!" RIP Dime
#929375 04/15/04 01:08 PM
P
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
i do believe the coating your thinking of is called chromex

(used on exhaust and headers...if it is...theres a slight chance i'ld be able to get you a deal on having them coated, but no promises)

99 SE V6\5spd - 156 HP\157 TQ 15.166-90.84 Totaled 02/12/06 99 SVT # 1571 - 175 HP\153 TQ 14.999-91.88 Born 3/24/99 Reborn 3/18/06 Pietenpol Racing Technologies project vehicle 90 Festiva L 5spd, Blue(not for long), 103k
#929376 04/15/04 11:15 PM
CEG\'er
CEG\'er

What do ya'll think of the weapon-R aluminum heatshield ?
I wouldn't think weapon-R to be a industry leader in making
things more like APC poducts but the heatshield I've seen
on either cta or the sp website looks pretty trick. My
question- Is this heatshield ceramic coated ? theres not
much info on the site about it. its $130 from the cta or
sp web site but only $100 from nopi online. I'm to lazy
to fab a heatshield again. and my fabed heatshield &
intake pipe looked rather poor.so i removed them and rep
replaced them with the stock units. Anyone wanna make me a
good looking plexiglass heatshield. I'll pay for someone
to make it and ship it to atlanta.

What happened to the d-tec heatshield i've seen
it looks cool but i can't find a web site or anything
about or where to buy one ?

----------------
2000 silver frost svt
yoko avs es100 245-45-16
optimized throttle body
sparco shift knob

-- white glow gauges &
hvac covers on the way

-2000 csvt silver frost #1619 -magnaflow 14415 -optimized T/B & y-pipe -superchips xgt1 -75mm proflow maf -K&N RU-3530 -fsvt smart pump # 354Z-9H307-BC -spec stage one, LSD -low-tek,a/f,oil press.,volts -B&M short shifter -17" konig gt-r
#929377 04/15/04 11:16 PM
CEG\'er
CEG\'er

What do ya'll think of the weapon-R aluminum heatshield ?
I wouldn't think weapon-R to be a industry leader in making
things more like APC poducts but the heatshield I've seen
on either cta or the sp website looks pretty trick. My
question- Is this heatshield ceramic coated ? theres not
much info on the site about it. its $130 from the cta or
sp web site but only $100 from nopi online. I'm to lazy
to fab a heatshield again. and my fabed heatshield &
intake pipe looked rather poor.so i removed them and rep
replaced them with the stock units. Anyone wanna make me a
good looking plexiglass heatshield. I'll pay for someone
to make it and ship it to atlanta.

----------------
2000 silver frost svt
yoko avs es100 245-45-16
optimized throttle body
sparco shift knob

-- white glow gauges &
hvac covers on the way

-2000 csvt silver frost #1619 -magnaflow 14415 -optimized T/B & y-pipe -superchips xgt1 -75mm proflow maf -K&N RU-3530 -fsvt smart pump # 354Z-9H307-BC -spec stage one, LSD -low-tek,a/f,oil press.,volts -B&M short shifter -17" konig gt-r
#929378 04/16/04 12:02 AM
R
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
R
Originally posted by beyondloadedSE:
Originally posted by DemonSVT:
GROUP BUY!!!!

fo sho! im definetly in!

YES PLEASE

#929379 04/16/04 12:11 AM
H
Scourge of the Master Debaters
Scourge of the Master Debaters
H
Originally posted by 00SVTGA:

One word: fraud.

Beer is my Gatorade. Hooray Beer. '98 "Sport" Pacific Green '98 E0 SVT Silver Frost Pictures
#929380 04/16/04 04:11 AM
U
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
U
Well in the past few minutes, I have done a few searches on Google on two of the proposed mediums in which I could make this sheild out of. And I have a few questions for you guys...

Plexiglass - From what I found, normal Lucite plexiglass has a "maximum service temperature" of °F 185. Now, I'm wondering if the underhood temps would actually reach that high? I might still have some reading to do, just wanted to throw that out there and see if anyone knew off hand.

Aluminum - I was looking at three different grades of aluminum sheeting and found a bunch of info that just throws for a wicked loop! Sorry, I sleep in chemistry class so...

I think it would be much easier for me to actually give a link to the page I was looking at and then point out what caught my eye. www.technicalmaterials.com. I was looking at the 6th block down on the left, Thermal Cond. What the hell is this talking about. I really want to know, because I don't want to just go out and buy a simple piece of aluminum and find out that it is crap for what I will be using it for. And Pete, I've been thinking a good bit today about the use of rivets to hold the three peices together and I am really likeing it.

The only thing that I can find that I might have problems with making this out of fiberglass is it's ability to take abuse. I mean, we tend to pull our air filters alot and I'm a little worried about how it might hold up to all this. Remember, I am trying to work into the design a way to bolt it down in the rear and at the fender. I'm just a little worried that, even though I will have rubber (or something like that) at each of these bolted points, would the overall structure be able to stand up to the abuse that we tend to put something like this through.

Anyway, just some ponderings I was having. I hope to maybe to do some talking with some people tomorrow, but it may have to wait until next week.

As for the GB idea. Guys, I know that it was first brought up as a joke, but it's really starting to scare the crap out of me. Let's get this first one made. Then we will go from there.

Phillip Jackson `98 Mystique LS 262K+ and counting... ATX rebuilt @ 151K "This storm has broken me, my only friend!" RIP Dime
#929381 04/16/04 04:28 AM
P
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
based on my experience with it....i do feel that fiberglass would hold up, especially at 3 or 4 layers thick w\o any problems, but i'll just have to try it for myself at a later date.

i'ld love to help you in the r+d of this shield but i've got so much on my plate as it is(tail lights, sail panels, rear reflector, side markers...and the list goes on) that i just can't.

sorry i can't help...as much as i want to

99 SE V6\5spd - 156 HP\157 TQ 15.166-90.84 Totaled 02/12/06 99 SVT # 1571 - 175 HP\153 TQ 14.999-91.88 Born 3/24/99 Reborn 3/18/06 Pietenpol Racing Technologies project vehicle 90 Festiva L 5spd, Blue(not for long), 103k
#929382 04/16/04 06:05 AM
G
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
G
Phillip,

Rivet gun on Ebay

Keep in mind that people with different intake setups may have to alter the heat shield in order to make it fit.

Intake pipes result in different filter location:
- BAT intake pipe
- CTA intake pipe (different length than BAT)
- stock accordian

Using a different MAF will also results in different filter location.

Given these factors, aluminum would be the way to go so that the buyer can alter the heat shield as needed. I don't think buyers would be comfortable attempting to alter a more expensive fiberglass or plexisglass heat shield.

Check the following out for heat coating:
Heat paint

For your own personal use, plexiglass, fiberglass, whatever of course is fine so that you can make it to fit the intake pipe, MAF and filter you are using.

HTH

Capitol CEG Classifieds Make an offer! 2005 GTO IBM - 337hp/336tq
#929383 04/16/04 11:57 AM
U
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
U
Originally posted by SVT ST PETE:
Phillip,

Keep in mind that people with different intake setups may have to alter the heat shield in order to make it fit.

Intake pipes result in different filter location:
- BAT intake pipe
- CTA intake pipe (different length than BAT)
- stock accordian

Using a different MAF will also results in different filter location.

Given these factors, aluminum would be the way to go so that the buyer can alter the heat shield as needed. I don't think buyers would be comfortable attempting to alter a more expensive fiberglass or plexisglass heat shield.

Yes, I have thought about that issue. What I figured I would do, for the ones that I could not test fit at meets, was to have people take measurements from front plate of their TB to the front plate of their MAF adaptor and alter the length of the top two pieces as needed. Of course, there would have to be test fitting and the only real world way to do that would be to send it out to the different people that have these different set-ups so they can actually install it to see how it fits. If alterations are needed, they can let me know and I can then make them.

Now that you mention the topic of larger MAF's, I'm starting to wonder how much the different sized filters will effect overall placement as well. I have a small J&R filter from BAT and I have seen some of the larger K&N's that some guys are running. I will need to take that into account as well, or at least in the back of my mind anyway.

As for working around the larger MAF's, it just struck me... All I would really need is the same size/type gasket they are using between the MAF and their adaptor. The gasket may be a mm larger all around, if that, but hole placement should be the same with the exception of the center bore. That really shouldn't pose a problem since, to create an air tight seal, I need to be able to provide a nice sealing surface between the MAF, sheild and adaptor. If the sheild had a slightly larger bore than the MAF and it's adaptor, it shouldn't pose a big issue I would think. Just as long as we got an air tight seal.

That also brings into the picture that I will need to accomidate for another gasket as well. So that will need to be added to the length of the filter too.

Originally posted by SVT ST PETE:

Check the following out for heat coating:
Heat paint

That's perfect!! Now why couldn't I find that the other night? Oh well, great job!!

Oh and pole120, it's no problem. I completely understand. The main thing I guess I need right now is, like you, more time and just you folks to keep me on track and offer support.

Page 3 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 14 15

Moderated by  GTO Pete 

Link Copied to Clipboard