Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
A
agantt Offline OP
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
A
Hi guys,
My first post to this board. I've got some problems with my 97 se V-6 (w 111k miles). First, the car would not start. Inspected the wiring and of course it was showing bare wires everywhere. Called Ford and hammered them and they replaced it under the recall provided I came up with $200 due to it being over 100k.
Anyway, they had the car 3 weeks and called me to tell me that it would not start and I needed to come get it. When I picked up the car some old fart mech told me that it sounded like it had no compression, I asked if they had done a compression check and he said no. Got the car home and I have no spark at the plugs nor 12v at the coil pack wiring harness connector. I also replaced the crankshaft posistion sensor yesterday. As well as this the fuel pump is not coming on when you turn the key to the run posistion (it worked prior to taking it to the dealership).
I plan on going after the dealership tomorrow, seems like they did not hook something up right.
I performed a cold engine compression check (they manual says to warm the engine up first but I have no way of doing this) and got readings from 100-120 psi on all cylinders. Do these numbers seem ok for a cold check on a motor with over 100k miles. Any advice on any of these issues would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance!
Anthony

H
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
H
Originally posted by agantt:
Hi guys,
My first post to this board. I've got some problems with my 97 se V-6 (w 111k miles). First, the car would not start. Inspected the wiring and of course it was showing bare wires everywhere. Called Ford and hammered them and they replaced it under the recall provided I came up with $200 due to it being over 100k.
Anyway, they had the car 3 weeks and called me to tell me that it would not start and I needed to come get it. When I picked up the car some old fart mech told me that it sounded like it had no compression, I asked if they had done a compression check and he said no. Got the car home and I have no spark at the plugs nor 12v at the coil pack wiring harness connector. I also replaced the crankshaft posistion sensor yesterday. As well as this the fuel pump is not coming on when you turn the key to the run posistion (it worked prior to taking it to the dealership).
I plan on going after the dealership tomorrow, seems like they did not hook something up right.
I performed a cold engine compression check (they manual says to warm the engine up first but I have no way of doing this) and got readings from 100-120 psi on all cylinders. Do these numbers seem ok for a cold check on a motor with over 100k miles. Any advice on any of these issues would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance!
Anthony

With the compression I believe it should be about 160 if good, yours arent really bad but they dont appear to be the best either, if they were bad it would be like 65-80, so you just normal engine wear, plus it was cold as you said.

With the fuel pump, did you first check the fuse for it.

T
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
T
Welcome aboard...take it back, and tell them you insist that the car is started. If it will not start, tell them your contacting Ford and that you just had the car in for the wiring recall. Why they charged you $200.00 is beyond me! I would call ford and explain whats gone on so far. Was the car running when you took it in???

H
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
H
Hey Taasam read a bit more closely.....

"Hi guys,
My first post to this board. I've got some problems with my 97 se V-6 (w 111k miles). First, the car would not start. Inspected the wiring and of course it was showing bare wires everywhere. Called Ford and hammered them and they replaced it under the recall provided I came up with $200 due to it being over 100k. "

A
agantt Offline OP
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
A
Thanks for the info. I'm going to call the dealership tomorrow, see if they want to go the easy way by taking the car back or have me raise hell with Ford about there lack of quality. I'm quite sure that they should have run some type of diagenostic on the car to check and see why it would not start (at least I would hope they would). In the mean time I'm going to put some new plugs in, the one's that came out looked as if they were the original factory plugs. The center post was burned down to a point.
I'll post again when I find out more.
BTW...The Haynes manual says to check the center wire of the harness that plugs into the coil pack to see if there is batt voltage there, there are 4 wires? Which center wire are they refering to?
Anthony

B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
Let me see if I understand this correctly. Your car will not start. You got Ford to agree to replace the underhood wiring with you to pay part of the cost as a goodwill gesture because there was no warranty that would pay for it. You never did know why it would not start. Now it is the dealer's fault?

You should rethink your strategy. What you are asking for isn't the least bit reasonable. You are not likely to get any help from Ford and unless you have a more reasonable aproach you are not likely to get any help from the dealer either.

By the way, the compression is low, even for a cold engine. I don't know if this is a symptom for not starting, but the engine likely is not healthy.

Jim Johnson 98 SVT 03 Escape Limited
B
CEG'er
CEG'er
B
Anthony,

I'm sorry but I have to laugh. You took your car to an authorized Ford Dealer for the wiring recall, the kept it for 3 weeks and then they tell you to come get the car cause they don't know what is wrong with it?????

Did the car run at all when you took it to them? Could you start the car? I can understand paying the 200 dollars. Sounds like they made you pay 10% of the bill for being over 100k...Same thing happened to me.

Ford charges the highest rate going for auto repair. They should not only be good but they should be damn good. If I was the manager/owner of that dealership I would be embarrased. Who are you supposed to take your car now to, to get it repaired -- Toyota?

Bob

An ounce of prevention provides a pound of cure!
A
agantt Offline OP
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
A
The wiring was completly shot, why would I think anything could work with bare wires everywhere. When I took the car to them at least the fuel pump was working even though I had no spark. Now I have neither? If it's not the wiring shouldn't these so Ford experts have shed some light on the situation? Like, we replaced all your bad wiring as per the recall but the car won't start because you need etc..
The only words of wisdom I got out of these guys was & I quote "could be almost anything!"
No, the car was not running when I took it to them...I died on the side of the road and I had to use my trailer to carry it home. I tried to start it the next day and it was a no-go. If you looked under the hood for a reason your car won't start wouldn't bare wiring be a good place to start?
I'm certainly not trying to get on anyone bad side on this board but you made it sound like I was wrong to bother Ford because of there crappy wires. I have a 66' Falcon that is still running with the original wires 38 years after they were installed. There was absoutly no excuse for what I found under the hood of that car. I not saying that Ford is fully resonsible for all the problems this car has but at least it should have been in as good of condition as when I left it with them...i.e. the fuel pump working.
If you can suggest a better strategy please do, I'm at a loss hear this thing is driving me nuts.
Thanks for your input,
Anthony

B
CEG'er
CEG'er
B
Anthony,

You read me all wrong. I would have done the same thing. My car quit running and Ford came out and towed it in at their expense welll I paid 10% of the bill. The service bulletin covers other items that were damaged because of the bare wiring. For instance if you have parts that shorted out because of the bare wiring then it would be covered unter the wiring service bulletin. If the engine internally is sound, then they need to get it running or at least tell you what the problem is. If the problem is related to the bare wiring shorting out equipment, then it is covered, if the problem is a blown head gasket then you would have to pay for that....

Keep on them or better yet call Ford customer service directly and talk with them. I am laughing because Ford prides itself on their superior customer service and mechanical ability.........lacking as such as is so evident to see!!!!

Be nice when you call Ford customer service, you have a chance here to really show that this particular dealership has it's head up their posterior!!!!! I guess if they can't fix it then Superman can! --- and don't go to that dealership anymore!!!!!!

When mine went out it was towed to a San Antonio dealership......I live in Austin.....dealership here in Austin is awful proud of their services, if you know what I mean....

An ounce of prevention provides a pound of cure!
H
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
H
Originally posted by agantt:
The wiring was completly shot, why would I think anything could work with bare wires everywhere. When I took the car to them at least the fuel pump was working even though I had no spark. Now I have neither? If it's not the wiring shouldn't these so Ford experts have shed some light on the situation? Like, we replaced all your bad wiring as per the recall but the car won't start because you need etc..
The only words of wisdom I got out of these guys was & I quote "could be almost anything!"
No, the car was not running when I took it to them...I died on the side of the road and I had to use my trailer to carry it home. I tried to start it the next day and it was a no-go. If you looked under the hood for a reason your car won't start wouldn't bare wiring be a good place to start?
I'm certainly not trying to get on anyone bad side on this board but you made it sound like I was wrong to bother Ford because of there crappy wires. I have a 66' Falcon that is still running with the original wires 38 years after they were installed. There was absoutly no excuse for what I found under the hood of that car. I not saying that Ford is fully resonsible for all the problems this car has but at least it should have been in as good of condition as when I left it with them...i.e. the fuel pump working.
If you can suggest a better strategy please do, I'm at a loss hear this thing is driving me nuts.
Thanks for your input,
Anthony

Alright your car wont start
- are all wires connected???
- is the battery good, did you test it???
- is the alternator good???
- Did you check to make sure all your fuses are good, fuel pump one would be a good place to start
- is your starter bad

did you also check your fuel pump cut off switch

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard