Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
A
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
A
I have a '95 mtx w/ traction control, and there has been a lot of horsing around in the engine bay, maybe i'll check that cable...

-Philip Maynard '95 Contour [71 STS | Track Whore] '97 Miata [71 ES | Boulevard Pimp] 2006 autocross results
W
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
W
Originally posted by zgendron:

Additionally, I have never had a TH problem (4+ years), and believe the 95s were not as affected by TH.

Sorry, not really on topic, but every model of the contour with a mtx have that problem. My 95 has it, really sucks.

1999 Contour SE Duratec ATX My feet and the Stra�Ÿenbahn http://www.tempo-topaz-performance.com/topazsho/ the coolest Topaz ever! To bad it's not mine
Z
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
Z
Originally posted by projectSHO89:
Contact your local dealer and have them run an OASIS report to see if it was done. If it was not done, see if you can get it done under the recall. If it had been performed, let them know the problem is back and see if you can get them to do it again.

Steve

Went to the dealer today. No Luck. According to the OASIS Report, the car does not have any active recalls. Additionally, he said that the OASIS report only holds 1 year worth of data (sounded fishy to me). Anyway, he wasn't much help. I'm going to call Ford tomorrow and see if they are any help, and also try a different dealership. g

- Zack WANTED: T-Red HEATED Side Mirrors FOR SALE: 4 14" Alum Alloys and Nearly New Avid H4s Tires w/ Center Caps 2000 T-Red SVT 1995 LX V6 MTX (RIP)
Z
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
Z
Originally posted by F111D F:
Bet it's the cable from the pedal to the Traction control unit that sits in front of the coolant reservior. Last month I helped a buddy with his daugthers car 95 LX V-6 built fall of 94. The cable I think was around $150. With my cousin's discount about $74. It was a first for me I'd never seen an earlier Contour MTX with traction control.
But thanks to guys here found out what that unit was.
Thank heavens I've changed cables on many dirt bikes in the past and was able to figure the replacement. Actually if you have an average mechanical abiltiy you can handle it.
Remove the stop on the top of the gas pedal and from the engine compartment pull the whole works out. Remove a few fasteners and lift the coolant tank up, makes it whole lot easier since the cable routes underneath.
Of course the Cable from traction control to the TB had to adjusted to get rid of slack and the new of course.

anyhow your symptoms are the exact same thing.
Paul

Paul, how did you determine that cable was the faulty cable?

- Zack WANTED: T-Red HEATED Side Mirrors FOR SALE: 4 14" Alum Alloys and Nearly New Avid H4s Tires w/ Center Caps 2000 T-Red SVT 1995 LX V6 MTX (RIP)
#915652 04/02/04 02:36 PM
F
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
F
Audible
By the time we got done playing/testing my buddy pushed on the gas pedal with the engine off and I disconnected the cable, then the cable TC unit to TB worked noise-less & smoothly.
When my buddy crawled under the dash (it was his dauthers) and he looked up it was obvious you could see several broken strands. We evenutally broke it! oops!

Good luck
Paul

Oh I might add after we had cleaned the super gunk-up TB and opened up the completely carboned up EGR passage behind the TB and cleaned the IAT, no moose what so ever even with the factory orginal induction plumbing.
5 weeks later approx. still no moosing 75,000 mile it running sooo sweet. Sure is a good feeling to be able to help! Sure hope another site like this crops-up for my next car. CEG's sharing have turned this trouble-some/beancounter car into a reliable/enjoyable machine.
I have a 98 Mystique Ls ATX planning keeping at least another 10 years, irregardless what the pre-cats do. Too bad we don't have a Graemiln that would show me thumbing my nose at the bull-headed EPA. High gas price besides OPEC/SUV's the bull-headed EPA with it's gestapo tactics is a major player. Common rail diesel technology would help tremendous, but (per an inside source VC) The EPA won't even let them develop a engine diesel for a car. Just who is the EPA really? Anyone know? Somebody is making a ton of money because of them. Greed?

Last edited by F111D F; 04/02/04 03:54 PM.

Paul 98 Mystique LS 2ea (07/97)(08/98)
Z
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
Z
Originally posted by F111D F:
Bet it's the cable from the pedal to the Traction control unit that sits in front of the coolant reservior.

Checked it this weekend, and sure enough, that was the problem cable. Any hints on removal/installation? How long did it take you to replace it?

I'm going to remove the old cable today, and hopefully pick up a new one tomorrow to install tomorrow night. We'll see how it goes.

Z
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
Z
Ok, I've nearly removed the old cable, but cannot seem to pull it through the firewall. Is there something to it?

I've disconnected the cable from both the pedal and TC Motor. I've attached a string to the cable in the cabin so that installation of the new cable will be easier. However, I cannot seem to pull the cable out into the engine compartment.

Also, I don't have the new cable yet, so maybe when I see the new cable, that will help me out.

Any hints?

F
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
F
Trust me I will come out, the outside sheath fits very snug into the firewall. No clip or anything just snug.

Paul

F
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
F
When installing the gas pedal end I used dielectric grease on the sheath fitting and pushed the cable end thru first then the sheath.

Paul

Z
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
Z
Great, Thanks Paul.

I'll try putting some on the bad cable to pull it through tonight.

Looks like I'm able to order the part through Bill/Steve at Signature and get it overnighted today.

Incidentally, an FYI, my cable was frayed/rusted/split right where it rests up against the EGR Valve/Tube. Others may want to check there cable if they are having issues.

Last edited by zgendron; 04/05/04 09:01 PM.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard