Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#915638 04/01/04 12:03 AM
Z
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
Z
Hi All,

I've got a 95 V6 with TC, and have an EXTREMELY DANGEROUS Thottle problem that I believe have isolated to the cables.

The throttle seems to stick after any pressure is applied to the pedal. Sometimes it will accelerate to a WOT position. If I push in the clutch, it will just bounce off the rev limiter. Its real fun when driving in the pour weather and the car just wants to GO!

At first I thougth this was a TB issue due to my high mileage, so I started with a TB Cleaning. I figured that even if this wasn't the problem, it could use a cleaning. During the cleaning, I checked the TB Spring, and this seemed to operate fine, with no problems.

The cleaning did not solve my problem.

In fact, today was the worst day yet with this problem. On my way home from work, my car was continuing to accelerate past 85mph with my foot off of the gas. I did not feel safe driving home today.

So today I took a look at my IAC and Cables. I believe I've isolated the problem to the cables. If I pull back on the throttle at the TB, the car seems fine and returns to idle. However, when I press the gas pedal the car has serious TH problems.

So now that I've isolated the problem to the cables, how do I determine if the problem is before the TC or after? Visually, I see no kinks in the TC to TB cable. However, the white plastic cable holder on the TC is broken, leading me to believe this cable is the problem. But, this piece has been broken for some time, and therefor is not the reason. I cannot visually inspect the TC to Pedal cable as it is tucked in good.

How do the cables work within the TC? How are the connected?

Anyone else have any ideas?

- Zack WANTED: T-Red HEATED Side Mirrors FOR SALE: 4 14" Alum Alloys and Nearly New Avid H4s Tires w/ Center Caps 2000 T-Red SVT 1995 LX V6 MTX (RIP)
R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
Just wnat to clarify, it is NOT throttle hang correct??? You did fix the throttle hang problem right?

Roz

3.0 SVT hybrid...all the fixens...Track/Race ready very soon!!!!!! 20,000 + miles
D
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
D
did you check the cruze control?

Tony Datsenko
R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
Originally posted by Roz 1999 SVT-C:
Just wnat to clarify, it is NOT throttle hang correct??? You did fix the throttle hang problem right?

Roz

Just letting you know, im not trying ot be a smart a$$, it just sounds a little familar like throttle hang...and if you haven't done the fix yet, you should.

Roz

3.0 SVT hybrid...all the fixens...Track/Race ready very soon!!!!!! 20,000 + miles
Z
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
Z
No, this is not throttle hang.

Throttle Hang, to my knowledge, does not cause the engine to accelerate from 3-4k all the way to 6750 RPMs.

In addition, as stated above, I can replicate this issue while using the gas pedal, however if I control the throttle under the hood, I cannot replicate the problem.

Additionally, I have never had a TH problem (4+ years), and believe the 95s were not as affected by TH.

- Zack WANTED: T-Red HEATED Side Mirrors FOR SALE: 4 14" Alum Alloys and Nearly New Avid H4s Tires w/ Center Caps 2000 T-Red SVT 1995 LX V6 MTX (RIP)
Z
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
Z
Originally posted by Dark Sport:
did you check the cruze control?

This is not a Cruise Control issue either as the CC cable has plenty of slack and is not holding the RPMs. In fact, I will disconect the CC cable and see if I can replicate the problem. I imagine I can.

P
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
Does this sound familiar? From December, 1997

Make: FORD
Model: CONTOUR
Year: 1995
Recall Number: 97V225000
Summary:
VEHICLE DESCRIPTION: PASSENGER VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH THE TRACTION CONTROL OPTION. THE THROTTLE CABLES WERE DAMAGED DURING VEHICLE ASSEMBLY LEADING TO FRAYING OR SEPARATION OF THE THROTTLE CABLE.
Consequence:
THIS CONDITION COULD PREVENT THE ENGINE FROM RETURNING TO IDLE.
Remedy:
DEALERS WILL REPLACE THE THROTTLE CABLE WITH A REVISED DESIGN THAT IS LESS SUSCEPTIBLE TO BENDING OR KINKING DURING INSTALLATION.
Notes:
OWNER NOTIFICATION IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN JANUARY 13, 1998. OWNERS WHO TAKE THEIR VEHICLES TO AN AUTHORIZED DEALER ON AN AGREED UPON SERVICE DATE AND DO NOT RECEIVE THE FREE REMEDY WITHIN A REASONABLE TIME SHOULD CONTACT FORD AT 1-800-392-3673. ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION'S AUTO SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-800-424-9393.

98 Contour SE Sport 2.5 Duratec ATX The wifey's car 89 Taurus SHO - 246K miles 94 SHO ATX - 190K 1997 F-150 5.4L ATX - The Workhorse 150K. ANY THREAD WITH "OMG" or "WTF" ETC IN THE TITLE WILL BE IGNORED!
Z
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
Z
Originally posted by projectSHO89:
Does this sound familiar? From December, 1997

Make: FORD
Model: CONTOUR
Year: 1995
Recall Number: 97V225000
Summary:
VEHICLE DESCRIPTION: PASSENGER VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH THE TRACTION CONTROL OPTION. THE THROTTLE CABLES WERE DAMAGED DURING VEHICLE ASSEMBLY LEADING TO FRAYING OR SEPARATION OF THE THROTTLE CABLE.
Consequence:
THIS CONDITION COULD PREVENT THE ENGINE FROM RETURNING TO IDLE.
Remedy:
DEALERS WILL REPLACE THE THROTTLE CABLE WITH A REVISED DESIGN THAT IS LESS SUSCEPTIBLE TO BENDING OR KINKING DURING INSTALLATION.
Notes:
OWNER NOTIFICATION IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN JANUARY 13, 1998. OWNERS WHO TAKE THEIR VEHICLES TO AN AUTHORIZED DEALER ON AN AGREED UPON SERVICE DATE AND DO NOT RECEIVE THE FREE REMEDY WITHIN A REASONABLE TIME SHOULD CONTACT FORD AT 1-800-392-3673. ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION'S AUTO SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-800-424-9393.

It does, but according to Ford's website, my VIN isn't eligible for the recall, or it was already performed.

http://ford.com/en/vehicles/owners/recalls/default.htm#ford

P
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
Contact your local dealer and have them run an OASIS report to see if it was done. If it was not done, see if you can get it done under the recall. If it had been performed, let them know the problem is back and see if you can get them to do it again.

Steve

98 Contour SE Sport 2.5 Duratec ATX The wifey's car 89 Taurus SHO - 246K miles 94 SHO ATX - 190K 1997 F-150 5.4L ATX - The Workhorse 150K. ANY THREAD WITH "OMG" or "WTF" ETC IN THE TITLE WILL BE IGNORED!
F
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
F
Bet it's the cable from the pedal to the Traction control unit that sits in front of the coolant reservior. Last month I helped a buddy with his daugthers car 95 LX V-6 built fall of 94. The cable I think was around $150. With my cousin's discount about $74. It was a first for me I'd never seen an earlier Contour MTX with traction control.
But thanks to guys here found out what that unit was.
Thank heavens I've changed cables on many dirt bikes in the past and was able to figure the replacement. Actually if you have an average mechanical abiltiy you can handle it.
Remove the stop on the top of the gas pedal and from the engine compartment pull the whole works out. Remove a few fasteners and lift the coolant tank up, makes it whole lot easier since the cable routes underneath.
Of course the Cable from traction control to the TB had to adjusted to get rid of slack and the new of course.

anyhow your symptoms are the exact same thing.
Paul

Last edited by F111D F; 04/01/04 10:47 PM.

Paul 98 Mystique LS 2ea (07/97)(08/98)
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard