Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#913731 03/30/04 01:39 PM
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
The car wobbles and shakes terribly, unbearably at around 45+, but is fine under those speeds...Can a bent rim cause this or is it out of balance. I've had cars out of balance before, and it never shook this badly. But, I've never, till now, had a bent rim, so I'm wondering if this is the cause. The bad rim is left rear, if it matters...

B
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
B
Originally posted by FreeProjectPat:
The car wobbles and shakes terribly, unbearably at around 45+, but is fine under those speeds...Can a bent rim cause this or is it out of balance. I've had cars out of balance before, and it never shook this badly. But, I've never, till now, had a bent rim, so I'm wondering if this is the cause. The bad rim is left rear, if it matters...

Mine does the same, but closer to 60mph. I'm gonna take it in for an Alignment and balance and see if that helps any.

Jonathan '96 Contour Zetec MTX 208,XXX miles
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
It's perfectly aligned...But I know being out of balance will cause it to shake a bit, but this feels like the wheels are about to fall off...

H
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
H
Severely bent rim would throw wheel out-of-balace. Alignment could be affected, depending on angle of impact.

98 Mystique LS v6 atx 163,000km 97 Contour LX v6 atx 163,000km
D
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
D
A common cause for tire and steering wheel vibration is a warped rotor. It/they may need to be replaced or simply turned.

Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
The steering wheel doesn't vibrate, but the whole shell of the car does...The rotors were just turned...So the bent wheel could be causing this? Thanks for the help so far guys, keep it coming...

D
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
D
Sure a bent wheel could do this. Do you have steel wheels or alloys. Not that hard to bend the steelies but if you hit something hard enough to bend the alloys you will know it. If you just had the wheels off to do the brakes I would double check your lug nuts. You should re-tourqe them to make sure the wheel is not simply loose. Be careful though, I recently snaped some of my wheel studs because I applied too much force and they were well worn.

Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
They are alloys...I took the car to Discount Tire and they ordered me a new rim since they are still warrantied...They said everything else was good to go so I suppose the bent wheel is the culprit...I don't know, I guess I'll find out when I get a good rim put back on...

B
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
B
If the rim was bent enough to actually see the wobble, it will shake like crazy. Been there, done that.

95 Contour Zetec, ATX (wrecked, sitting in the barn) 95 Mystique Zetec, MTX 2000 Taurus SEL 3.0L Duratec 1994 Crown Victoria LX 4.6 V8 1993 Chevy Silverado 4.3 V6
C
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
C
since we are talking about tires here I have been noticing on uneven roads my tires go blub blub blub...almost like they are gonna fall off. And on the expressway today it sounded like they were hollow. They were really loud. Now I know its not the bearings because I just had those replaced. Could it be out of balance or need to be aligned? It's not pulling but I did notice the side of the tire facing the street that the tread is gone so I am wondering if that is causing the noise. Thank you for your advice. Oh and I notice when I put on the brakes the blub blub blub noise sometimes get worse.

Alicia 96 Contour LX 2.5L V6 Duratec Stock of course! BAD ASS GIRLS DRIVE BAD ASS CARS!!! http://www.cardomain.com/id/sweet_ride01
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard