Print Thread
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
#912466 04/04/04 05:10 AM
P
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
Originally posted by bluetour:
On a separate note, I have been trying to find an amp, and can't figure out what kind of power rating I should be looking for. The tweets are rated at 60WRMS, and the woofers at 80WRMS. I was originally going to go for the JBL P80.4 but at 40WRMS per channel, that seems a little weak. Is 40Wx4 sufficient for these speakers or should I look for more power? How much power is too much power for those speakers?

Ummmm did you see my last post to you.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3089451003&category=4950&sspagename=STRK%3AMEBWA%3AIT&rd=1

As you can tell, I'm an old school PPI fan. Their old amps are nearly bulletproof, underrated in terms of power, and the SQ they produce is amongst the best ever. Are you set on buying a new amp or is used ok? The Art series A404 would be another excellent choice.

Vinny 2000 T-RED CSVT MODS: 18" REV model 2 ST200 struts/Roush springs CTA intake Pipe/K&N Filter Dtec Heatshield Optimized TB True Duals w/ magnaflow mufflers/resonators
#912467 04/04/04 06:07 AM
B
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
B
Sorry, yes, I did see it, but I wasn't sure other people would, so I put it on this thread in the hopes it would be viewed more and potentially get more different (or concurrent) replies. I would like to get a PPI amp, but wasn't sure if that would be enough power, considering I've never had any actual experience with PPI, just what I've heard from other people. More importantly, is there some secret place (other than eBay) to pick up PPI amps? Since I've started looking for amps, I've seen one battered A404 up on eBay and none since. I'd really like to have an A404.

And no, as long as it works and I can connect it up, age is irrelevant.

1995 Contour GL 2.0L ATX- Teal Metallic+Grey Int. Brown University, Class of 2008!
#912468 04/04/04 07:03 AM
P
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
Originally posted by bluetour:
Sorry, yes, I did see it, but I wasn't sure other people would, so I put it on this thread in the hopes it would be viewed more and potentially get more different (or concurrent) replies. I would like to get a PPI amp, but wasn't sure if that would be enough power, considering I've never had any actual experience with PPI, just what I've heard from other people. More importantly, is there some secret place (other than eBay) to pick up PPI amps? Since I've started looking for amps, I've seen one battered A404 up on eBay and none since. I'd really like to have an A404.

And no, as long as it works and I can connect it up, age is irrelevant.

Bluetour,
The A404 would definately provide sufficient power as would the previous PPI amp I linked to. Their ratings are measured at 12 volts and normally you'll be sending them around 14 volts which will result in more power. The Art series amps are famous for their SQ and durability although the .2 series were alittle better than the the first models, hence the A300.2, 600.2 They're also known to get very hot but I've never seen one shut down from overheating. I live in Florida where the temp. is always in the 90's in the summertime and I've taken trips in my car for hours without the amps shutting down. I bought both my Art series amps on ebay about a year ago "I think" and I've had no problems with them. They will definately be switched over to my next vehicle when the time comes. I spent weeks looking for some in good shape and I know it can be difficult but you have to keep checking. Here's a perfect example.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3089507176&category=18796
Brand new!!! can you believe it. I'm sure some others who have had prior experience with these amps will chime in with their thoughts. I've been into car audio for many years and I've had half a dozen systems including amps from companies like soundstream "reference 500&700" Mmats, US amps, and PPI. I've definately been the most happy with the Art series from PPI and they are definately worth looking into. If you have some time, keep checking ebay until you find one in good shape. The ones I bought were in pretty good shape and I got them looking great with alittle work from my dremmel. I'll keep an eye out for you. BTW, are you set on getting one 4 channel amp or would you be open to the thought of two 2 channel amps. I ask because there are 2 really nice PPI art series amps for sale on ebay right now. They are an A300 and A200. Here's the links.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3088390516&category=18796
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3088389887&category=18796

Vinny 2000 T-RED CSVT MODS: 18" REV model 2 ST200 struts/Roush springs CTA intake Pipe/K&N Filter Dtec Heatshield Optimized TB True Duals w/ magnaflow mufflers/resonators
#912469 04/14/04 12:59 AM
T
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
T
hey bluetour hows the install going, have you bought the equipment yet, I'm wondering becuase we'll probably end up with the same component system

#912470 04/14/04 04:45 AM
B
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
B
Well, I plugged it into my sig now, but I've ordered Soundstream PC2 passive crossovers, the Goldwood 7" drivers and Pyramid tweets linked earlier in this thread. They should be here tomorrow. I am holding off on getting the amp and rear deck sub until I have more time to do install stuff, I only have a day or so to do this, and I have no idea what I am doing, so I want to give myself ample time. I don't want to have to drive around with this project half done. I'll probably work on picking up a used PPI amp off eBay sometime in May and buy the rear deck sub early June so I can do the install after I graduate. I should have plenty of time over the summer to complete my install, as well as do a few other mods.

How are you coming along?

1995 Contour GL 2.0L ATX- Teal Metallic+Grey Int. Brown University, Class of 2008!
#912471 04/14/04 06:09 PM
B
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
B
I should add that I will be putting peel and seal in the two doors when I do the speakers. I figured it would be easiest to do everything, all at once, instead of having to open up the doors twice.

#912472 04/21/04 08:57 AM
T
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
T
What do you guys think of using crossovers such as this one with a 4 channel amp? I figure this would be much easier than creating your own crossovers. I have made passives before, but it is not something I care to do in a car audio environment.

Tempe

#912473 04/21/04 11:55 AM
M
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
M
i don't know that i would trust that particular brand to keep the noise to a minimum. a similar x-over from AC would be fine though.

02 Mustang GT... Tuned by Nelsons. Low 12's, anyone? .....______ ___|______\_____ |/-\_________/-\_| .\_/...............\_/
#912474 04/21/04 12:34 PM
D
I feel Guilty, Oh so guilty
I feel Guilty, Oh so guilty
D
Originally posted by Tempe:
What do you guys think of using crossovers such as this one with a 4 channel amp? I figure this would be much easier than creating your own crossovers. I have made passives before, but it is not something I care to do in a car audio environment.

Tempe

Any particular reason why?

The only thing i can think of is power is cheap, but most active crossovers are not, especially when you will likely need an EQ in addition to the crossover. I think passives are a very viable option in cars.

"If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a fire exit" -Mitch Hedberg
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  dnewma04_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard