Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
#912436 03/30/04 08:12 PM
H
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
H
go to partsexpress.com search for fmods. they are about 25 a pair and another way to go. may be stretching your budget but another option none the less.

Hugo AIM:omegazodiac 95 gl & 99 contour svt #1750/2760 my profile pics stuff for sale
#912437 03/30/04 10:02 PM
C
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
C
Originally posted by Tj78492:
yea but what if you don't have a factory amp

Either run the wiring from the amp to the factory harness located behind the head unit or run new wiring into the doors.

1999 Ford Contour SVT #900/2760 (SOLD) 2005 Mazda 6s 2003.5 Mazdaspeed Protege 1998 Ford Ranger 4x4
#912438 03/30/04 10:18 PM
C
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
C
(1) They won't be as good as Vifa, Peerless, Morel, etc. but will be a significant improvement over drop-in coaxials. I think they'll do a good job in providing what you're looking for, especially with some good amplification.

(2) A crossover frequency between 2-3Khz would be best suited for these drivers. The ones you see on ebay are probably all in the general neighborhood. I wouldn't lose sleep about it. I'd look for one with a tweeter attenuation circuit which would help with tuning.

(3) Not sure, but I don't think those tweets are anywhere near 3" tall, maybe around 2". In any case, there's at least a good 1.5" behind the door panel to work with, and you don't have to mount them on the plywood.

1999 Ford Contour SVT #900/2760 (SOLD) 2005 Mazda 6s 2003.5 Mazdaspeed Protege 1998 Ford Ranger 4x4
#912439 03/30/04 11:21 PM
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
Ok so here's my ???? Can i use my x-over an tweeter from my A/D/S 235IS an just get a bigger driver say a 7in or do i need a new x-over becuz the woofer went from a 5 1/5 to a 7inch speaker????

Say hello to the bad guy. 98.5 CSVT KKM intake,SQ system.... 2003 accord coupe 6speed. waiting for the after market to catch up....
#912440 03/31/04 01:46 AM
C
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
C
As long as the new driver can cover the frequencies up to the crossover point, it should be fine.

#912441 03/31/04 08:01 PM
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
Hey!
For a dummy like me, It'd be much easier to buy all this stuff at once, together in a package deal.
How is this? The quality and such ok?
Is it a big deal to install it? (I did all my other speakers/subs) Looks to fit in price range VERY nicely.
Do I need an amp to power it? Or is it better to run it off my ALpine9925 deck?

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=265-368

#912442 04/01/04 01:38 AM
B
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
B
To 96tourkid-although that package is fine, it is expensive. I don't know if cost is a concern for you. You could probably do that install yourself, considering I am doing mine myself and have no idea what I am doing. If you have any experience, you can probably do it. If you don't have one now, you should buy an amp. These will sound infinitely better on an amp.

To Everyone Else-Wiring? I looked on knukonceptz and had no idea what to look for. I am going to be doing a sub and the two speakers w/crossovers simultaneously. I have no idea what kind/size to get or even what the differences are. Also, why does everyone say knukonceptz has the best wiring? Is there actually a difference in wiring quality between knu and, say, streetwires or even lowes?

Btw, thanks for the awesome advice so far everyone, I am so excited to buy all this stuff and do my install.

1995 Contour GL 2.0L ATX- Teal Metallic+Grey Int. Brown University, Class of 2008!
#912443 04/01/04 02:42 AM
T
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by bluetour:
To 96tourkid-although that package is fine, it is expensive. I don't know if cost is a concern for you. You could probably do that install yourself, considering I am doing mine myself and have no idea what I am doing. If you have any experience, you can probably do it. If you don't have one now, you should buy an amp. These will sound infinitely better on an amp.

To Everyone Else-Wiring? I looked on knukonceptz and had no idea what to look for. I am going to be doing a sub and the two speakers w/crossovers simultaneously. I have no idea what kind/size to get or even what the differences are. Also, why does everyone say knukonceptz has the best wiring? Is there actually a difference in wiring quality between knu and, say, streetwires or even lowes?

Btw, thanks for the awesome advice so far everyone, I am so excited to buy all this stuff and do my install.

I think everyone likes knu becuase he's a member of these boards and offers quality stuff at pretty low prices. Lowes is part of walmart so their kit is probably crap, but streetwires should be good, but it'll cost more then knu.

Which mids and tweeter did you decide on, I plan on doing my own components and upgrading my sub when I get out of college in a few weeks, and it'll be my first time so you and me are in the same boat. I might end up getting the same stuff you get, either that or the vifa stuff mentioned in the thread I linked to. I going to get some passive crossovers from ebay for my components

How do you plan on running the speaker wire to the doors, thats the only part I'm not sure about.

#912444 04/01/04 03:30 AM
B
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
B
Ok, here goes:

Tweets: Pyramid TW22M
-They are adjustable, which is helpful, as cthomp21 said, for the factory locations, to improve imaging. And using the Vifa Neo's with the angle mounting cup is too expensive (I'd like to squeeze everything in under $250, so my parents don't freak, not to mention I am about to /go/ to college).

Woofers: Goldwood GW-S650/4 (the 4ohm version)
-These are nice, they have the specs I am looking for and they are cheap. Again, Vifa or Audax would be nice, but simply not cost effective. I don't want to spend $80 just on two woofers. I may upgrade the woofers later.

Crossovers: Something off eBay, whatever crosses around 3ish kHz.

Amp: Something from JBL, probably the P80.4, mounted in the trunk. I don't want people bashing it with their feet, and it will probably overheat in the ideal factory location.

Wiring: Knu...something, still don't know which wires for what, considering this is the part that I know the least about (now that I understand crossovers).

Speaker wires to the doors: I am planning on piggybacking on the factory wiring already running into the doors. The thing I don't understand is why the wires can't just be run through the little rubber thing. If its a plug, then where are the factory speaker wires? My plan is to take the factory speaker wires and hook them into the crossovers, then do my own wiring to the components. On the other end, I plan on taking the factory harness adapter thing and then extending those wires (for the fronts only) to the amp, leaving the backs still plugged into the HU amp. Ill use the preamp outs on the HU for the amp itself so it has an audio signal, of course. Ill hook the sub up to the amp as well, when I finally get a sub.

Someone tell me if the above won't work/is flawed.

One other thing I don't understand (besides wiring), is how to get power to the sub itself. Do I run a cable (and what sort) directly to the battery? Fuses what? etc. etc. etc.

1995 Contour GL 2.0L ATX- Teal Metallic+Grey Int. Brown University, Class of 2008!
#912445 04/01/04 04:44 AM
T
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
T
using your jbl 80.4 you would bridge the 2 rear channels and run the speaker wire from the amp to the sub. The whole point of the amp is to power the sub, so only some extra speaker wire will be necessary.

where are you going to tap into the factory wiring? when I hooked up my head unit there where +/- wires for each speaker could I tap into it there? I'd like to do it closer to the door but I need to know how to get to them.

also cthomp: if I can afford it do you think it is worth it go with the vifa tweeter and peerless mids? I got an mtx amp that put out 2x80 @4ohms I hope to use.

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  dnewma04_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard