Print Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
#912322 03/29/04 12:09 AM
G
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
G
A common problem with headlights is that they "haze" or "yellow" over time and/or "spiderweb" or crack. This is the UV coating deteriorating.

The headlights are coated with a UV film/protectant of some kind, and constant exposure to the elements (sun, rain, snow, etc.) deteriorates the UV film/protectant which results in the yellowish haze that develops.

Approach the UV coating just like you would the clearcoat on your paint.

If it is physically damaged, as in cracked or scratched, you have to remove the coating down below the defect. Then you can restore it.

Below is a "How-to" compiled from personal experience as well as using the Search to see how other CEGers tackled the problem.

This pertains primarily to 98+ headlights, but should also work for pre-98 as well.

The easiest way to prevent this from occurring is to wax your lights every so often.
I wax my headlights every time I wax my car (every 3-4 weeks), and my headlights look brand new after 3 ? years.

Now, if your headlights have already hazed over, you have several options:

1. Buy new headlights ? obviously the most expensive way. But the easiest way out.

Bill Jenkins
www.SignatureLM.com
parts@signaturelm.com
800-876-3280 x272

Be sure to tell him you are from CEG to receive the CEG discount.

**Use the following instructions at your own risk.**

2. Use a plastic cleaner and plastic polish

If your headlights are not too hazed over, this should be your first step prior to resorting to sanding (Option 3).
This way you are starting with the least abrasive method of removing the haze before using anything more abrasive such as sandpaper.

Several CEGers have successfully used plastic cleaners and polishes to remedy the hazy headlights.

Some products used:
Meguiar's PlastX Clear Plastic Cleaner & Polish
Meguiar?s Mirror Glaze Clear Plasitic Cleaner #17
Meguiar?s Mirror Glaze Clear Plastic Polish #10

Meguiar?s Clear Plastic Collection is only a few dollars more than purchasing just #17 and #10 individually.

3. Wetsand the headlights

Many CEGers have successfully used similar methods as the one below.

What you will need:
- 1000 grit wetsanding paper ? available at most auto stores
- 1500 grit wetsanding paper ? available at most auto stores
- 2000 grit westsanding paper ? available at most auto stores
- small bucket or spray bottle with water
- car wash soap
- sponge
- rags
- wax
- applicators
- Meguiar?s Mirror Glaze Clear Plasitic Cleaner #17 & Polish #10 ? Option #1
- rubbing compound ? fine cut & polishing compound ? Option #2

* Note: You want to take your time and be as thorough as possible through this process. You don?t want to have to start all over again or repeat steps because you skimped on a step or two.

1. Wash
Wash your headlights to remove all dirt, debris, etc. You want the headlight to be clean. Dry them off and examine them, noting the areas that contain the most haze. These are the areas you will need to focus your wetsanding. Give those areas a feel with your hands to see what the haze feels like.

2. Remove headlight (optional)
You may want to remove the headlights from the car ? this will allow you to avoid accidentally sanding the paint on your car, and it allows you to place the headlight in a more comfortable working surface.

3. Water
Use the bucket or spray bottle of water to dampen the headlights, and slightly dampen the sandpaper.

4. Sand
Use the 1000 grit sandpaper and begin sanding. Be sure to take your time and be thorough, especially in the areas with the most haziness.

**Sand in different directions - horizontally, vertically, etc. to get the best sanding "coverage".

You?ll probably be nervous about using sandpaper on your headlights, but rest assured, they will come out better looking than when they were hazey.

5. Rinse
Rinse off the headlight and examine them. You should see fine ?scuffs? and ?scratches? from the sandpaper, but again, don?t worry. Feel the headlight ? they should feel smoother than before.

6. Sand
Move onto the 1500 grit sandpaper and begin sanding. Be sure to take your time and be thorough, especially in the areas with the most haziness.

7. Rinse
Rinse off the headlight and examine them. You should see fine ?scuffs? and ?scratches? from the sandpaper, but again, don?t worry. Feel the headlight ? they should feel smoother than before.

8. Sand
Use the 2000 grit sandpaper and begin sanding. Be sure to take your time and be thorough, especially in the areas with the most haziness.

Take your time. This is the final stage of sanding, so you want to be thorough as you do not want to have to go back and repeat this process again. Rinse, dry, observe (visually and with your fingers) areas that need to be further sanded, and sand.

9. Wash and dry
Wash and dry the headlight.

* Now you have 2 Options at this point:

Option a:
10a. Rubbing compound ? fine cut
Use some type of rubbing compound to smooth out the sanding marks. Do not use a heavy cut/coarse rubbing compound as it will only add scuffs/scratches.

11a. Polishing compound
Use some type of polishing compound further clean up the surface and give it a shine.

* If you have a buffer handy, you may want to try using it instead of applying the compounds by hand.

Option b:
10b.Meguiar's PlastX Clear Plastic Cleaner & Polish
OR
10b. Meguiar?s Mirror Glaze Clear Plasitic Cleaner #17
Removes any fine swirl marks / fine lines.
and
11b. Meguiar?s Mirror Glaze Clear Plasitic Polish #10
Restores the shine on the surface of your headlights.

**You can use Option a, then use Option b afterwards.

12. Wax
The best way to prevent hazing of your headlights is to use some kind of protectant.

I would recommend waxing your headlights whenever you wax your car to provide them with protection from the environment.

* One CEGer stated that Carnuba wax will "yellow" clear plastics over time, and should be avoided on the headlights.

13. Reattach headlight if necessary

14. Repeat for other headlight

Other "Methods"
drerok: rub your headlights with Automatic Transmission Fluid

Kremitthefrog: rubbing compound every 6-9 months

Phil Rohtla: Another way from MustangWeekly.com:
Light kit

Proof thÿ

Capitol CEG Classifieds Make an offer! 2005 GTO IBM - 337hp/336tq
#912323 04/05/04 04:27 PM
C
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
C
i wet sanded with 600 grit and recoated with an outdoor gloss clear coat spary. im going to have my friend that works in a body shop do it later on since the can stuff probally wont last as long. but its been like 2 or 3 months and it still looks good. i live in central florida and its real hot out here and my car is always parked outside. i ot pics on my car doman link below.

98 contour s.e. sport mtx http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/503352 all mods shown on page
#912324 04/18/04 06:31 AM
C
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
C
I've done mostly every step involved in this faq, except that after the rubbing compound, I used 2 coats of Blue Magic's "plastic and plexiglass cleaner and light scratch cleaner".
It seemed to really do a great job of cleaning up and making the plastic shiny. It's really just an even finer rubbing compound. You can also use this stuff on scratched cds in case you're really sloppy with them like I am (rub from inside to out!).
On another note... using toothpaste (note: paste) to remove scratches works too on cds and presumably on the headlights, in case you don't want to buy this or don't find the product.
Hope I've aided somehow.

-1998.5 Contour SE V6 ATX. PM me to tell me of a welder that can craft me a modified Y pipe in the Los Angeles area! OR I may be willing to buy a 3 flange modified Y.
#912325 04/22/04 02:30 AM
C
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
C
Pre 98 Headlights.

Hi all I just did mine. Thanks to this FAQ I knew what to do.
I Started with 1000 grit, then 1500 grit and finished with 2000 grit.

When all sanding was done, I tried Meguiars Plastx and was not impressed with it, as it still showed scratches.
I went back to the store and bought Plexus.

Here are the photos.

After finishing with 2000 grit.

After appling Meguairs Plastx. Clear but not crystal.

After appling Plexus. Crystal clear.

I know the images are dark but the lighting was the same in the Meguair and Plexus pics.

1996 2.5LT V6 Contour ATX My Tour+help/info pics E0 rims, Gutted Pre-Cats,CTA Custom Exhaust & Intake, Diablo Chip.
#912326 05/20/04 05:05 AM
C
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
C
I put my seal of approval on the Meguiar's PlastX.

2000 Contour SE 2.5L ATX - Toreador Red 2001 VW Golf GLS 2.0L MTX - Tornado Red Buy my possessed VCR!!
#912327 05/20/04 06:32 AM
P
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
Meguiars PlastX and the typical sanding process.

Makes a hellofa difference in person.

* Marine Officer Candidate * My Cardomain Page 1998 EO Black SVTC #3388
#912328 05/27/04 05:02 AM
Y
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
Y
you sand the outside right?

i mean.. it seems like it would be impossible to sand the inside of the headlight....

yeah yeah yeah i know, i'll go check the level's of my blinker-fluid next

Jeremy AKA Jai **'95 SE Contour / Midnight Purple (R.I.P)** -------------------------------------------- Hopefully soon to own a candy red 1992 Caddilac STS ~ w00t w00t!
#912329 05/27/04 01:50 PM
P
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
Heh, yes you sand the outside, just go to ur auto store, they should have all the sand grits you need, as well as a plastic cleaner/polish. Just wash down the headlight, dip the piece of sandpaper your working with in a bowl of warm water, and sand side to side, then move on to another area. On a side note, I noticed that the more coats of polish I used the better it looked. I put a few more coats on the lights even after the finished pic I posted and it looks even better than the pics. I regret that I didn't do this earlier, it's so easy and helps the look of the car sooo much. Anyone with even slightly hazed headlights should do this, whether it be a Contique or not.

* Marine Officer Candidate * My Cardomain Page 1998 EO Black SVTC #3388
#912330 05/27/04 01:52 PM
S
Zippy Zetec on his last legs.
Zippy Zetec on his last legs.
S
my headlights arent hazed, but i have some kind of slearcoat on them that is starting to peel at the tops...

Regards, Cole. Relegating to troll status sometime this week. New Whip: 1990 Lexus ES250. Old Hotness: 1995 GL MTX Zetec *IN TRIAGE* "I had a little friend once, but it dont move no more... "
#912331 05/27/04 03:32 PM
C
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
C
I agree with Plato. More coats of PlastX the better.

2000 Contour SE 2.5L ATX - Toreador Red 2001 VW Golf GLS 2.0L MTX - Tornado Red Buy my possessed VCR!!
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  GTO Pete 

Link Copied to Clipboard