Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
Originally posted by HITMANinMI:
New I would think, not sure though. Usually autoparts stores sell reman. stuff, dealer sells new parts.

The Ford unit from Bill Jenkins is remanufactured.

-- 1999 SVT #220 -- In retrospect, it was all downhill from here. RIP, CEG.
M
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
M
Ah my biggest gripe about Contours: they shove the alternator way down at the bottom where its difficult to get to. My chevy has the alternator up top and very accessible (not to mention a heck of a lot cheaper). I'm not sure if the contour is the same, but the cable that hooked to my alternator in the chevy got corroded and majorly increased the resistance between it and the battery, thus killing the battery. I had to use a dremel to get the corrosion off.

C
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
C
By the way is there an electrical system fuse that should be checked located near the battery cable?

M
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
M
Originally posted by contour_phoenix_when:
just called shop guy and he quoted me $410 parts and labor to install reman alternator.

good deal or what

I would see if I could get to it myself first. Just use ramps. But I'm cheap. I like DYI. I've always had good luck with rema alternators. The parts store usally has a good warranty.

Former owner: 1999 Contour SE Sport Current: 2000 Eclipse GT There are three ways to do things: the right way, the wrong way, and the Max Power way! Isn't that just the wrong way? Yeah, but faster!
T
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
T
Get the one with the lifetime warranty. If they both have it, get all new.

If you do it yourself please note you'll need to undo the y-pipe, remove the passenger side wheel & unhook the passenger side tie rod. If you're ok with that, get about 40" of socket extensions, one with a wobble on the end, and a 13mm socket. You can access the top alternator bolt through the driver side wheel well.

PITA, yes, but just think about the $200 you'll save.

Must be that jumbly-wumbly thing happening again.
C
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
C
Yes it took AAA 2.5 hours to find me and tow me 5 blocks.

Well I took the car in today and it started and I drove it out of the garage into heavy traffic and then strange things started to happen. First off it was not idling very well. Then the temp gauge failed then the rpm dropped to zero them the car just shut off and where was I in the middle of one of the busiest intersections in Brooklyn Flatbush and Atlantic where the traffic cops just look at you to motivate you to push your car harder. Luckily a biker boy saw my situation and parked his bike and gave me a push.

Thank you biker boy.

Anyway now I have to call the shop guy to remind him to charge the battery so that it will not be dead when I pick it up this evening.

230 for a reman alternator is really a little much I think.

So any odds on what will go next?

T
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
T
Originally posted by contour_phoenix_when:
Yes it took AAA 2.5 hours to find me and tow me 5 blocks.

Well I took the car in today and it started and I drove it out of the garage into heavy traffic and then strange things started to happen. First off it was not idling very well. Then the temp gauge failed then the rpm dropped to zero them the car just shut off and where was I in the middle of one of the busiest intersections in Brooklyn Flatbush and Atlantic where the traffic cops just look at you to motivate you to push your car harder. Luckily a biker boy saw my situation and parked his bike and gave me a push.

Thank you biker boy.

Anyway now I have to call the shop guy to remind him to charge the battery so that it will not be dead when I pick it up this evening.

230 for a reman alternator is really a little much I think.

So any odds on what will go next?

I had this happen to me, guages fail, car sputters, then dies. Turns out the alternator just came unplugged. The shop monkey lost the retaining wire on the connector to the alt & couldn't be bothered to replace it. After a few days, the plug worked loose & I'm stranded on the interstate.

Must be that jumbly-wumbly thing happening again.
C
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
C
an interesting thing about the labor involved in installing the alternator. I was charged 2.5 hours at 75/hr. Sears quoted me a price of 80 dollars. Too bad sears did not have the part.

B
CEG'er
CEG'er
B
I'm in the middle of rebuilding my engine. I'm taking my alternator and starter to a winding shop. To Replace bearings, brushes, housing, cleanup, etc will be about 50 dollars. Starter is a bit less.

Bob

An ounce of prevention provides a pound of cure!
C
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
C
Ever since I changed my alternator I have had strange wear pattern on my front right passenger side tire. I think that they call it On One Side MISALIGNMENT that side being the inside. Now I have read that the axel should be removed to replace the alternator and so I must ask should a front two tire alignment have been performed after installing the alternator?

by the way the tire will have to be replace because I noticed the wear only after the treads on the inside were worn away.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard