Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#909118 03/25/04 02:48 AM
R
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
R
I was telling my hub about the previous posts about getting the haze off the headlight covers and all, but he's wondering if we could use fine steel wool instead of sand paper. If it's not a good idea, then we will use sand paper, no biggie. I guess he's got an over stock of steel wool in the shed and wants to use it. LOL.
Thanks.

2004 Ford Freestar V6 Boogity Boogity Boogity, Let's go racin Boys!
B
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
B
I've used steel wool, and it seemed to work okay. Don't really remember what size I used, but I do remember it was a fine grade. I've also used rubbing compound, which also helped. It does seem that no matter what I used, I have to repeat the treatment in a few months.

95 Contour Zetec, ATX (wrecked, sitting in the barn) 95 Mystique Zetec, MTX 2000 Taurus SEL 3.0L Duratec 1994 Crown Victoria LX 4.6 V8 1993 Chevy Silverado 4.3 V6
A
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
A
Just got through refinishing my headlight lenses...I tried 0000(extra fine) steel wool as an initial step and it didn't work fast enough. It does however work well in a later step.

Sooo... moisten the lens and start with 1500 grit wet/dry sandpaper on the rough portions of the lens and sand in the same direction (vertical) till the affected portions feel as smooth as the clear areas. Rinse between sheets and dry. Sand until you can't see the hazing cracks (or at least until they very faint).

Patience is the key...

Switch to 2000 grit, keep the lens moist, and go over the previously sanded areas thoroughly, sanding in the opposite direction (horizontal). Rinse, dry and inspect as necessary. Once you are satisfied that the affected areas are as smooth as possible, you may lightly sand the entire lens. Rinse, dry and inspect.

At this point I used the following progression of products:
1. 0000 steel wool,
2. Meguiar's Mirror Glaze 9 (professional swirl remover 2.0),
3. Meguiar's Mirror Glaze 10 (clear plastic polish)

Repeat the polishing progression (steps 1-3) 2-4x...The results, while not perfect, are much improved over original condition!!

Hope this helps!! Art

2004 Velocity Red RX-8 *Racing Beat Intake and Exhaust *Grand Touring Package *Red/Black Leather *Fender Strakes *Rotary Accents *Xenon HID's *Bose
R
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
R
Thanks Art, sounds good to me. Hub said that's cool with him. He'll go ahead and just use the sandpaper as well.
Thanks.
Renee

2004 Ford Freestar V6 Boogity Boogity Boogity, Let's go racin Boys!
J
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
J
i am planning on sanding my headlights down tomorrow. if i can get some clear plastic adhesive type stuff and stick them over my headlights, will these keep hazing at bay for a little while? just wondering if anyone has ever tried something like this before.

D
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
D
no any clear stuff on the lens will let sunlight onto the plastic and that is whats messing up the plastic(the SUN)...
the lens is breaking down... what ever they made the lenses out of is gasing off and making the plastic turn yellow...
it must be some cheap stuff.. i guess some bean counter figured a way to save a few cents per hundred lbs. of plastic and they figured a few million more in profit for the stock holders....

S
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
S
Will doing this remove the yellowing? Mine turned yellow and that really takes away from the front end look of the car... I mean these cars are sharp looking in the front end especially with just the fogs on....

If it does in fact remove the yellowing, I will try this as well?

Thanks
Spankey

P
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
Originally posted by Spankey:
Will doing this remove the yellowing? Mine turned yellow and that really takes away from the front end look of the car... I mean these cars are sharp looking in the front end especially with just the fogs on....

If it does in fact remove the yellowing, I will try this as well?

Thanks
Spankey

I have used ones from the junkyard...the UV coating was yellowed & coming off one, I sanded the rest off & it looks great...the other one was just as bad, but its crazed & I can't do too much w/ that mess. It takes alot of polishing after you sand to get them clear again but they look great.

1999 Sportage 4x4...don't go there, it was free ....______o_o .../_l l__\____\ ..|--l l__----[]\|/[] .....................oo =( )_)----( )_)--)_)
L
CEG road warrior
CEG road warrior
L
I wetsanded my headlights (super fine 1600 IIRC) and clearcoated them.....but didn't wax them so it looks like crap....but I will fix them once they are back together again.

Hector 2003 Rally Red Mitsubishi Evolution VIII 257HP/259TQ 2005 Lapis Blue Mazda 6s RET: 00 Cabernet Red Ford Contour Zetec ATX SUPERCHARGED 160HP/141TQ
B
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
B
has anyone tried the NUVOUS line of plastic cleaners.

It's made for the shields on motorcyle headlights.

I have used it to clean all kinds of plastic including those crappy ford plastic headlights we all love.

Originally posted by MapOfTaziFoSho:
Can u ask him to measure his shaft and compare it to your shaft?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  GTO Pete 

Link Copied to Clipboard