Next Thread
Print Thread
#905217 03/20/04 10:59 PM
S
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
S
I have searched everywhere but can't seem to find any post about the same problem I'm having. About a month ago I had my brakes replaced at a local shop. They ended up telling me that my front rotors needed to be rebuilt. Well, I've got 72,000 mi. on my '98.5 SVT so I figured that it couldn't hurt....that and the cost wasn't that bad. Well, fast forward about 2-3 weeks after that and my brakes start feeling strange. When they are cold, they are, in my opinion at least, very noisy. Once they warm up they aren't as noisy but they do squeak a little under light breaking. The thing that really bothers me is a strange feeling I get in the pedal under moderate to heavy breaking. It's not a grinding feeling exactly, but more like a creaking feeling or sorts, usually when I'm almost at a stop. It almost feels like the breaks are not gripping correctly or are letting go under heavy load only to immediatly grab on again. This is sometimes preceded by a lack of grip on the first push of the pedal (ie. upon letting up and pushing again it grips better) I'm really not sure how to explain it, but I figured it might see if any of you have any ideas on what I could check before I take more time off work to take it back to the shop.

Thanks in advance

Pete 98.5 SVT - Silver Frost Born 6/4/98 - #6310/6535 For Every Winner, There Are Dozens Of Losers. Odds Are You're One Of Them.
#905218 03/20/04 11:10 PM
H
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
H
Originally posted by svtpete:
I have searched everywhere but can't seem to find any post about the same problem I'm having. About a month ago I had my brakes replaced at a local shop. They ended up telling me that my front rotors needed to be rebuilt. Well, I've got 72,000 mi. on my '98.5 SVT so I figured that it couldn't hurt....that and the cost wasn't that bad. Well, fast forward about 2-3 weeks after that and my brakes start feeling strange. When they are cold, they are, in my opinion at least, very noisy. Once they warm up they aren't as noisy but they do squeak a little under light breaking. The thing that really bothers me is a strange feeling I get in the pedal under moderate to heavy breaking. It's not a grinding feeling exactly, but more like a creaking feeling or sorts, usually when I'm almost at a stop. It almost feels like the breaks are not gripping correctly or are letting go under heavy load only to immediatly grab on again. This is sometimes preceded by a lack of grip on the first push of the pedal (ie. upon letting up and pushing again it grips better) I'm really not sure how to explain it, but I figured it might see if any of you have any ideas on what I could check before I take more time off work to take it back to the shop.

Thanks in advance

Mine squeak sometimes in the morning to, it is becaue rust forms on them the mechanic said when I went back and complained.

I know you just had them done, but by some "Brake Clean" and spray on each side of the rotor and then wipe it off using a towel, that cleans off dirt and crap which also might makes yours squeal.

If you back brakes are doing it, I know you didnt have them done but anyways you need to file the top and bottom edge of the shoe to a 45 degree angle so it hits the drum at an angle.

My back ones go done one week ago and they still squeal/sqeak, I have to file mine soon.

#905219 03/21/04 04:06 AM
J
JB1 Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
J
what kind of pads are you using? my svt wears crappy pads (dumb mistake on my part) and sometimes brakes better than at other times.

00 black/tan svt, #2052 of 2150, born 2/1/00 formerly known as my csvt "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than a sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." -Martin Luther King, Jr.
#905220 03/21/04 05:40 AM
S
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
S
Well, honestly, the pads are whatever the place put on there. I'm not sure what they are. I was going to get a set of pads from Stazi but I waited too long and had to go ahead and take what I got. I do know they are better than the KVR's I had before this - I didn't like them very much.

Honestly, they probably aren't as bad as I think they are, but they just don't feel right. I might just have to take it back to the shop and have them look it over.

Thanks for the help guys.

Pete 98.5 SVT - Silver Frost Born 6/4/98 - #6310/6535 For Every Winner, There Are Dozens Of Losers. Odds Are You're One Of Them.
#905221 03/21/04 05:33 PM
E
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
E
Originally posted by svtpete:
... They ended up telling me that my front rotors needed to be rebuilt. ...

Rotors do not get 'rebuilt'. If they messed with the calipers, then maybe I can understand a 'cleaning' which needs done anytime you replace pads.

The squeeking may be due to a cheap pad. Nothing to worry about really. The odd pedal feel... maybe your rotors/pads are glazed. Try the brake cleaner as suggested, and if doesn't help, you may need to pull the rotors and pads and scuff them up with some sandpaper. Another thing to check for, is proper installation of the springs. They hook onto the OUTSIDE of the bracket, not just rest inside. I had a sim problem with needed to 'pump' the pedal once to get better braking. This could explain the noise too.
Can you get us a pic of your brakes. The wheels don't have to be off.

2000 CSVT Silver Frost: #942 of 2150 HID Projectors and Fog Light Mod, Optomized TB, MSDS headers 2003 Silverstone Z
#905222 03/22/04 03:02 AM
S
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
S
sorry about that, I meant to say calipers not rotors.... I'll try to get a pic, but I already checked the clips and made sure they were on correctly - I even took them off and put them back on to make sure. Everything else seemed to look alright also. I'll give the cleaner a shot though...thanks again for the help guys

Last edited by svtpete; 03/22/04 03:08 AM.

#905223 03/22/04 04:06 AM
G
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
G
Sounds like sticking or binding calipers to me. I'd be suspicious of this since they rebuilt them.....My .02

'99 Sport TropicGreen,Duratec, SVT exhaust, Brembo rotors, Ceramic pads, K&N filters(oil & air), Alpine CDM7874, Polk DB570 speakers front and rear. Fog light mod. 50% Formula One tint.
#905224 03/22/04 04:48 AM
S
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
S
Originally posted by gearhead:
Sounds like sticking or binding calipers to me. I'd be suspicious of this since they rebuilt them.....My .02

Yeah, I've been mildly suspicious of the quality of the rebuild they did. They guarantee the work, so I'm thinking that I might end up taking it back to the shop and make them fix it.

Moderated by  Andy W._dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard