Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
S
Anybody who has been around here awhile has heard of the legendary equal length, long tube, stainless headers by Sean Hyland Motorsports. Although no longer in production, SHM informed me that we could get them made if we had 15 buyers.

If I understand this correctly, long tube headers broaden the powerband by boosting torque at lower RPM; whereas, shorty headers simply help high RPM breathing.

Yes, I've heard from Andy W that installation is a PITA. I'd like to see this product made available again, if it is superior to the MSDS headers. Anybody have a dyno with SHM?

Pictures of the headers:

Pictures of the headers installed:

1999 Cougar V6 MTX Borla stainless, dual exhuast ST200 struts, rear strut tower brace Roush springs, rear sway bar, bodykit Steeda Tri/X, Powerslot rotors, Falken Ziex 512 Awaiting install: GMK CAI
S
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
S
Simply gorgeous....

I'm thinking around the $800 level...am I close?

T-red E0 SVT ATS 17x7.5 Comp Lites, 215/45/17 Falken 512s, Ausi Bar, Boxed subframe, Poli all around, Warmonger's Opt Y, Opt TB, AFE, DMD, NGK's, Bendix Ti, Alpine, Polk, Mobil-1 0W-40, Redline MTL.
B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
Originally posted by SVT Doood:
Simply gorgeous....

nope, try $1200! they are a rip off, thus why they no longer produce them anymore. and iirc, we had a guy in MI who had them on his car. I cant remember his name. He sold the svt and bought a lightning instead. Anyways, im pretty sure he dynoed before and after and gained little to nothing..

Jim Hahn 1996 T-Red Contour SE Reborn 4/6/04 3.0L swap and Arizona Dyno Chip Turbo Kit 364 whp, 410 wtq @ 4,700 rpm
S
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
S
Originally posted by beyondloadedSE:
Originally posted by SVT Doood:
Simply gorgeous....

nope, try $1200! they are a rip off, thus why they no longer produce them anymore. and iirc, we had a guy in MI who had them on his car. I cant remember his name. He sold the svt and bought a lightning instead. Anyways, im pretty sure he dynoed before and after and gained little to nothing..

They're not THAT expensive if you consider the fact they are LONG tube headers. . .most long tube headers retail for that much, for the 'stang, it's like $1400 or more. . .

Ask ezsvt1, I forget his screen name, he had them, but sold his CSVT for something else, he drives a 600hp beast of a muscle car, like a camaro or something. . .

B
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
B
Someone around here was making over 190whp with these headers and a few other mods on a 2.5, nothing major. That's pretty impressive. As for price and installation, well, you gotta pay a lot (money and time) for a fast car.

Matt 2002 Subaru Impreza WRX (WRB Stage 4+) Old Rides: 1999 Sil-Fro SVT Contour 3.0L with goodies (Totalled 6/21/06) 1988 Bronco II (Sold) You know you launch hard when you beat oncoming traffic through their own crosswalk lines.
G
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
G
The link to Andy W.'s install re: SHMs.

I had the MSDS and went to SHMs. Butt dyno says SHMs provide power throughout the power band.

Warning
On top of the $1200 or so price tag, I would send them off to be jet hot coated.

Here are pics of my SHMs after about a year:

They are probably much worse now, but will be removed and shipped to be Jet Hot coated.

IMHO, bang for the buck - no way. I think people are better off Jet Hot coating the MSDS at half the cost, and spending the remaining money on other mods.

Capitol CEG Classifieds Make an offer! 2005 GTO IBM - 337hp/336tq
H
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
H
since the pic is up, is that the rear motor mount in the last pic?

Hugo AIM:omegazodiac 95 gl & 99 contour svt #1750/2760 my profile pics stuff for sale
C
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
C
I think so. Directly above the upper Y pipe flange?

2000 Contour SE 2.5L ATX - Toreador Red 2001 VW Golf GLS 2.0L MTX - Tornado Red Buy my possessed VCR!!
T
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
T
Stainless my azz...wow those babies rust fast.

06 GMC Sierra 2500HD Dmax/ally 06 Pontiac G6 GT 05 CRF250R FOR SALE 06 KX65 with riding gear $2700 obo
M
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
M
Don't expect much of an increase in performance without a major increase in the air intake to the car.. You can only exhaust what air comes into the intake and no more..

The second set of SHM pipe pictures shown were from my car.. .. They are not SS but did come with a ceramic coating. The pictures were taken last year when the install was 3 years old.

If you are interested in doing the best you can with a mod, then the long pipes are worth the money.. If you just want to do something to your car, then get one of the less expensive sets.

- Rich LBC Performance Motorsports Group/AMSOIL '98 Cougar V6 ATX aka 'Candy Striper' Photos
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  1314_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard