Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#902003 03/16/04 09:38 PM
D
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
D
I am familiar with the Aussie 23mm rear bar issue requiring boxing of the subframe (and some failures also I know with the old SCA 21mm). But I just noticed that the BAT 21mm bar advertizes that it "is the only bar that exactly matches all the stock bar curves so as to cause les stress on brackets"

So basically, any word on whether BATs bar has lead to similar bracket failures..??

1999 Amazon Green SVT Contour (#554/2760) "People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use." -Soren Kierkegaard (as posted by Jato)
#902004 03/16/04 10:00 PM
C
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
C
Don't they all lead to bracket failures? I think its more about the stress put on the brackets by the bigger bar.

#902005 03/16/04 10:25 PM
D
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
D
Thats my Q. I was assuming it was all bars but then the add suggested the BAT bar perhaps less prone (may be advertising BS too... And off the top of my head I could not specifically recall the BAT bar implicated in failures.

So, whats the scoop?

1999 Amazon Green SVT Contour (#554/2760) "People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use." -Soren Kierkegaard (as posted by Jato)
#902006 03/16/04 10:28 PM
T
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
T
The BAT site suggests that the bar has some lateral freeplay because of the link designs. When the bar contacts the subframe at one of the bends, excessive pressure at the intermediate point breaks a bracket. The BAT bar has little "stops" that prevent any lateral movement through the bushings, so the bar never contacts the subframe.

That's their explanation, not mine. At least that's how I understood it. I have the 21mm bar. I like it.

Must be that jumbly-wumbly thing happening again.
#902007 03/16/04 10:52 PM
F
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
F
Still have my SCA 21mm bar.....

no broken subframe mounts but I did bend brackets like no other. My fix, I bought the large U brackets and grooved poly bushings that Aussie recommended for his bar in the 21mm size.

I rigged it up using the stock bolt and mount and also went to the hardware store and bought some high grade bolts, lock nuts, and a few fat washers. I ran the bolt down the hole where the stock bracket notched into with a washer on each side. I ran the nut up and tightedned it down. Its been a year or more and no problems.

I've never autocrossed but I'm sure if I was still running the stock brackets I would have tore the subframe mounts off. Once the stock brackets bend themself out of shape it then is a constant banging sound where the bracket is hammering itself against the stock mount.

Money doesn't always bring happiness. People with ten million dollars are no happier than people with nine million dollars ~ Hobart Brown
#902008 03/17/04 08:35 AM
M
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
M
I have the BAT 21mm bar and stock brackets.. knock on wood.. I haven't had a problem with it.

- Rich LBC Performance Motorsports Group/AMSOIL '98 Cougar V6 ATX aka 'Candy Striper' Photos
#902009 03/17/04 02:43 PM
C
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
C
First of all I think this should be moved to "suspension" so we can get more results.
But I am wondering the exact same thing, I've had a new bat 21mm bar and bushings in my basement for a couple months now and with the warmer weather I'm getting ready to install it.
I don't know if I want to install it if its just going to lead to failure. Or I want to know exactly what I have to do in order to prevent failure.

2000 SVT Black/Tan #1633/2150 (a few mods) Alpine: CDA-9835, MRV-F540, MRD-M550 PG: TANTRUM-X 6.5 COMP all around. Some people wear Superman pajamas. Superman wears Chuck Norris pajamas. CEL currently: Off
#902010 03/17/04 02:49 PM
S
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
S
Originally posted by CHF_Slapaho:
Don't they all lead to bracket failures? I think its more about the stress put on the brackets by the bigger bar.

Depending on your climate (ie..snow and salt) the stocker will easily break the brackets. Mine did...

T-red E0 SVT ATS 17x7.5 Comp Lites, 215/45/17 Falken 512s, Ausi Bar, Boxed subframe, Poli all around, Warmonger's Opt Y, Opt TB, AFE, DMD, NGK's, Bendix Ti, Alpine, Polk, Mobil-1 0W-40, Redline MTL.
#902011 03/17/04 03:04 PM
W
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
W
Originally posted by Dan Nixon:
I am familiar with the Aussie 23mm rear bar issue requiring boxing of the subframe (and some failures also I know with the old SCA 21mm). But I just noticed that the BAT 21mm bar advertizes that it "is the only bar that exactly matches all the stock bar curves so as to cause les stress on brackets"

So basically, any word on whether BATs bar has lead to similar bracket failures..??

The smaller bar may cause problems down the road, and you should keep this in the back of your mind. Since this is in the autox forum though, I'll put in my $0.02 --> I wouldn't want the bigger bar. The 21mm BAT bar coupled with the H&R's makes the car incredibly neutral. I would fear that on course, the Aussie bar would induce oversteer, and I'd rather be able to lift to turn a car that is pushing rather than fight oversteer all day long.

Whirling dervish of FFOG.
#902012 03/17/04 05:07 PM
M
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
M
I have the SCA 21mm bar and needed subframe reinforcement.

Trying to recall here.... wasn't the BAT bar the same diameter as the stock bar, at 19mm, but BAT said they used some heat treatment to increase stiffness? If so, what a load of garbage.

I seem to recall we've been through this discussion before, and it went like this: if the BAT bar is the same diameter as the stock bar, then the stiffness will not be any different. Hence, there will not be any handling effects. If you want to look at this in a positive light, at least that means the mount loads won't go up, and hence the subframe will last.

As an engineer, I can't imagine the geometry bits, end stops, whatever, that BAT describes having anything to do with subframe durability. Take a look at the stock cantilevered mounts, and it is easy to see why larger bars lead to failure.

-Kurt 50% of all people are below average.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Auto-X Fil 

Link Copied to Clipboard