Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
My thoughts on the "high rpm" miss are...

Spark Plugs, Wires (both already suggested)
Could be a bad coil pack
Maybe the intake needs cleaned, there's a how to on the main page

The intake cleaning that doesn't require removal of the intakes is easier and less time consuming. The manual removal of the intakes really isn't all that hard and most of the time spent is cleaning carbon/oil buildup out of the intakes.

Being a fuel injected car, that fuel pressure is probably fine. (im not farmiliar with what the pressure should be, but its not like a carbureted system)

There is no distributer. Almost everything on these cars is controlled by the computer (Timing, air-fuel ratios, etc.)

These motors do tend to like high RPMS due to the dual stage intake. As you may know, the intak system has primary and secondary ports. The primaries are always in use, but the secondaries open up at ~4000rpm. You should feel a little "kick" when accelerating over 4000rpm

Just as some background on this car, the duratec motor was designed by Porsche and Cosworth (Kudos for the secondaries). They are known to require maintenance but unless neglected are awesome cars. The heads have 4 valves per cylinder (2 intake, 2 exhaust) and are made of aluminum also. Hmmm... I think that's all the important stuff...

Quote:

I have even heard that some cars can rev upwards of 6000 rpm now.

Now, im sure you know this, but redline on these Duratec V6's is 6,750 rpm... (I think fuel cutoff is at 7k)

3.2lb. pistons...

1999 Mystique LS V6 Alpine CDA-9807, Rear deck sub, Opt. TB, K&N RU-3530/MAF adaptor, custom heatshield, FSVT 17's, SCT 4-program chip, Eibach's/ST200's, Hella Fogs...
B
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
B
Originally posted by 99MystiqueATX:
Just as some background on this car, the duratec motor was designed by Porsche and Cosworth (Kudos for the secondaries). They are known to require maintenance but unless neglected are awesome cars.

Excellent point there MystiqueATX. That's one of the little known facts about Contour/Mystique development: that Porsche reluctantly turned over their motor design to Fords. I remember reading in the industry press when the Contour/Mystique was launched that Fords had spent six billion in development. Six billion! Part of that investiment must have gone to the Porsche motor. I'm not sure, but one can imagine the argumnets over whether to keep it air-cooled or go with liquid cooling. And I wonder why they decided to do a V-block rather than keep the boxer config. Hell, Subaru keeps the boxer alive in their sedans, so I think this may have been one of Fords and Porsch's biggest mistakes. Anyone else heard any rumours about this stuff???

Bud Miller

** No mistake, it's a mystique **

B
CEG'er
CEG'er
B
1967 Chevelle with 400 block and 350 crank and rods destroked. 11.5 to 1 compression. Engine balanced and blueprinted. Hays traction ladder bars. Crane roller rocker arms and stud girdle set. Eldebrock torker manifold with 650 double pumper carb. 490 lift on cam 310 duration. Headers with glasspacks. Sitting at an idle I could press down on the gas pedal and let up and the engine would easily rev to 6 grand or so........just reminiscingâ?¦something I built up when I was 19â?¦. Eventually sold the car when I went into the service. The ole boy that bought it took the motor and put it in his Corvette. Sold the body.

Off-topic I know...sorry.....

An ounce of prevention provides a pound of cure!
B
B
Hey everyone, Buzz Green here, the undisputed king of Nascar. Speaking of Nascar, why wasn't the tour ever the body for Fords?

The missing at high rpms could be a few things...

Throttle position sensor, don't ask me why, that's what my textbook said. It doesn't seem to make sense to me, but maybe someone can make heads or tails out of it.

It sounds like you might be running a little rich, in which case I would use a octane booster, this should get your plugs nice and clean.

I have always been a bit of a shadetree myself, get the car running, drive around town about 10 miles, work on it some more, that's what I love about the tour, it's practically 3X better than that, consistantly. I mainly like to tear it apart, what's it worth having a car if you don't tear into it every now and then.

Personally I love the feeling of slamming the throttle to the floor, and dropping it from neutral to drive, this car is indestructable.

Has anyone used their tour to haul animals? I live on a farm, just wanted to know if it's a good idea or not. I was thinking nothing bigger than a llama. Well, gotta get back to my nascar videos.

Hope I answered your questions...

Buzz,

96.5 tour, NOS.

Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
I think if the TPS was bad, it would throw a code being too rich or lean. It can only compensate something like 30% rich or lean before throwing a code. Wouldn't the TPS cause driveability problems as well?

1999 Mystique LS V6 Alpine CDA-9807, Rear deck sub, Opt. TB, K&N RU-3530/MAF adaptor, custom heatshield, FSVT 17's, SCT 4-program chip, Eibach's/ST200's, Hella Fogs...
G
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
G
Originally posted by HThomas:

A more pedestrian question: can the SVTâ??s brakes be converted to drums? I would like to change at least the back brakes to drums, maybe the fronts too
-Harden Thomas

I would recommend Ludwigs.....but be prepared for the loud booming sound you get when applying these brakes! You may also experience the very distubring but fortunately only occasional rimshot. It really wakes you up when it happens though.....

'99 Sport TropicGreen,Duratec, SVT exhaust, Brembo rotors, Ceramic pads, K&N filters(oil & air), Alpine CDM7874, Polk DB570 speakers front and rear. Fog light mod. 50% Formula One tint.
T
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
T
Originally posted by Buzz Green:
Hey everyone, Buzz Green here, the undisputed king of Nascar. Speaking of Nascar, why wasn't the tour ever the body for Fords?

The missing at high rpms could be a few things...

Throttle position sensor, don't ask me why, that's what my textbook said. It doesn't seem to make sense to me, but maybe someone can make heads or tails out of it.

It sounds like you might be running a little rich, in which case I would use a octane booster, this should get your plugs nice and clean.

I have always been a bit of a shadetree myself, get the car running, drive around town about 10 miles, work on it some more, that's what I love about the tour, it's practically 3X better than that, consistantly. I mainly like to tear it apart, what's it worth having a car if you don't tear into it every now and then.

Personally I love the feeling of slamming the throttle to the floor, and dropping it from neutral to drive, this car is indestructable.

Has anyone used their tour to haul animals? I live on a farm, just wanted to know if it's a good idea or not. ...

OK, Buzz. First off, you're scaring us. Please don't scare us any more.

Towing with the Tour is not a great idea. It's a great car to drive & tear into & have fun with, but you'll note from the Tranaxle forum that the automatic tranny is a weak point if not maticulously maintained - and even then it can be problematic.

Neutral drops are also a really bad idea if you plan to keep the car for any length of time. I suppose that would be true for just about any car. Modern transmissions are not designed for any kind of consistant abuse.

That's it for now. See ya round Harden..er.. I mean Buzz.

Must be that jumbly-wumbly thing happening again.
C
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
C
Rumor: The A/C in Harden's 'Tour is driven by a two-hundred pound all-magnesium turbine he got out of a medium-sized Bell helicopter. The copter is said to have crashed on a remote portion of Harden's property in 1986, when Harden's ties to certain foreign rebel groups was being investigated by the CIA. Harden supposedly mounted the turbine on the roof of his 'Tour, along with a 500 psi cooling unit that came from a walk-in commercial fridge. Confirm or deny, Harden.

S
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
S
Deleted

Last edited by SmoothSVT; 03/17/04 05:05 AM.

90' Bright Orange Mustang 65k - 13.306@105.1 Looking for another CSVT ~Blas~
M
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
M
troll. troll. troll. troll.

Bless our servicemen & women overseas. L.Cpl Ian Malone, 1st Battalion Irish Guards, R.I.P.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard