Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#899164 03/13/04 11:27 PM
T
TonyVA Offline OP
OP Offline
T
just bought 99 contour v-6 4 speed od trans, getting code p1744 tcc engine light & od off light on.The book says its a trans clutch solenoid anybody know anything about this

#899165 03/13/04 11:49 PM
T
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
T
You have a similar thread in the Troubleshooting forum...

Former owner of a 1995 Ford Contour GL w/ 2.0L ATX Proud owner of a 2005 Ford Taurus SE 3.0L V6 Vulcan --Looking for Commodore stuff (Drives, Units, Amiga, games, etc)If anyone has any of this laying around and wants it gone, lemme know --
#899166 03/14/04 12:37 AM
U
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
U
Originally posted by TonyVA:
just bought 99 contour v-6 4 speed od trans, getting code p1744 tcc engine light & od off light on.The book says its a trans clutch solenoid anybody know anything about this

1744 - Excessive slip detected during full TCC (Torque Convertor Clutch)engagement

Tony, this means that either your TC is not locking up or the that when it does lock, it is slipping. See, inside your torque convertor, there is a clutch. This clutch is used to lock the two different sections of the torque convertor.

Your current problem lye's within the Torque Convertor. The actually root cause of your problem lies within the valve body. Within the valve body, there's pistons that move forward and back. These pistons control the fluid flow throughout the valve body and the rest of the transmission. The piston that controls the fluid going to your TC is seezeing up inside the bore of the valve body, most likely due to a combination of dirt, grit, poor maintaince (not changing fluid often as needed), so on and so on. You stated that you just bought the car, so no... I'm not blaming you.

To make it short, you might could get away with just replacing the valve body and torque convertor. If this has been a problem that has gone on for a long while, then you will most likely require a rebuild.

Reason I state that you might need a rebuild, is because when the problem that you currently have states to happen, the line pressure of the transmission will run out of control. this in turn can cause damage to some of the other hard parts inside, like the forward/direct drum and such.

If you would like more information on this and many other topics, you can check out my CD4E web page.. We currently have another member in the process of rebuilding his tranmission here, with plenty of pictures.

If you have any other questions, please feel free to ask. And again, welcome aboard!

If all this seems over whelming to ya, don't worry. Just calm down and we will work through it together. I might have a few other suggestions for ya, depending if you are open to them. No golden arch or anything, but they helped me anyway.

Phillip Jackson `98 Mystique LS 262K+ and counting... ATX rebuilt @ 151K "This storm has broken me, my only friend!" RIP Dime
#899167 03/14/04 10:08 PM
T
TonyVA Offline OP
OP Offline
T
thanks for the info it really only acts up after it is warmed up,and the trans fluid is showing a little over full, scared to touch the dam thing as I know nothing about these trans.Do you think draining the fluid and refilling to prope3r level would help. Thanks again

#899168 03/14/04 11:12 PM
U
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
U
Originally posted by TonyVA:
Do you think draining the fluid and refilling to prope3r level would help. Thanks again

Well, it might, but don't get your hopes up.

What I would do is go ahead and drain the fluid and refill to the the proper level. Have 4 quarts of fluid on hand. I would also, get myself a bottle of Lucas Transmission Fix. This stuff worked wonders for me. It did not fix my problem, but keep things under control until I could gather up the money to get the tranny rebuilt.

If you can change the fluid and see a difference, then great. Again, don't get your hopes up, but it is worth a try. It needs to be at the proper level anyway, so you wont exactly be wasting your time.

If things don't seem to level out, I would go ahead and put half the bottle of Lucas in there. It will not affect the level of the tranny fluid, so don't worry about that.

Let us know how it goes.

Phillip Jackson `98 Mystique LS 262K+ and counting... ATX rebuilt @ 151K "This storm has broken me, my only friend!" RIP Dime
#899169 03/15/04 11:01 PM
T
TonyVA Offline OP
OP Offline
T
yeah well I'll try that this weekend like you say it couldnt hurt. I dont think i told you the od off light doesnt come on till I've driving 15 minutes or so and after it comes on shifts between 1st and 2nd and 2nd and 3rd are hard but it still gos into 4th, keep me some hope I sure dont have the money for a rebuild THANKS, Tony

Moderated by  RoadRunner_dup1, unisys12 

Link Copied to Clipboard