Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
D
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
D
Ordered February '97. Picked up with less than 10 miles on the clock in March of '97. 70,000 Miles right now. Way too many recalls. Couldn't start it one morning after my wife ran it for about 30 seconds the day before without warmup. Towed. New waterpump as a precaution @ 45K. Panel dimmer went. Front wheel bearing went. Couldn't fill the tank for a while because of flapper valve problem. Hit twice in rear bumper. Waiting for new main cat to arrive to be replaced under warranty. Car is getting rattles and squeeks. Rear suspension always made funny noises. Moosing. O2 sensor died. Shifter feels like tranny is packed with crushed ice!

But... Hasn't used a drop of oil. 23MPG over life of the car. Usually runs like a top! I guess I like it!

1998 Mystique LS 2.5l Duratec Willow Frost
P
Master P
Master P
P
Bought it in June of 97 with about 20k miles on it. It was made in March of 96.

C
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
C
Re: the original post's comment about how there are more "cool looking sedans" available today: I disagree. The 'Tour/'Stique is much cleaner than just about any sedan you can buy. Just park next to a Mazda 6, BMW 3 series, Volvo S60, Nissan Altima, Subaru WRX, Toyota Camry, Honda Accord, you name it. Compare the proportions of the hood and truck, the fender lines, the overall sleekness. Other sedans are clumsy-looking boxes compared to our cars. The only non-exotic sedan I will maybe possibly consider as a having lines better than a Contour: the Mercedes S500 . That's why most of us still own our 'Tours; they are dang hard to replace.

N
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
N
Originally posted by caltour:
Re: the original post's comment about how there are more "cool looking sedans" available today: I disagree. The 'Tour/'Stique is much cleaner than just about any sedan you can buy. Just park next to a Mazda 6, BMW 3 series, Volvo S60, Nissan Altima, Subaru WRX, Toyota Camry, Honda Accord, you name it. Compare the proportions of the hood and truck, the fender lines, the overall sleekness. Other sedans are clumsy-looking boxes compared to our cars. The only non-exotic sedan I will maybe possibly consider as a having lines better than a Contour: the Mercedes S500 . That's why most of us still own our 'Tours; they are dang hard to replace.

I didn't say anything about today. In 98 when I bought the car there wasn't a whole lot I like THEN.

Today's style seems to be a messy jumble on a lot of cars. Have you seen the Maxima? Seen it's interior? YIKES

"Fear is the little death." Muadib.
R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
Originally posted by ancientsanskrit:
Wow this thread is sort of an awakening that are cars are getting pretty old. (but not mine !!)

You know, I was just bringing up this point with my wife the other day. My car is 8 years old, and it needs some new suspension parts.

My first car was an 8 year old 74 Capri. The body was rusted through, all of the front suspension and steering linkages had lost their dust boots and were subsequently shot, and the drive shaft u-joints were bad, as well. The seats were cracked, too.

Nothing old about these cars.

Function before fashion. '96 Contour SE "Toss the Contour into a corner, and it's as easy to catch as a softball thrown by a preschooler." -Edmunds, 1998
S
S
we bought ours new in Jan. 2000. 4 years 2 months. 76250 miles

After four years I got the 'Tour back from my wife. 2004 Honda Pilot (for her) 2001 Ford Focus ZX3 (for sale) 1999 SVT Contour (no mods) 1984 Mustang GT (carb'd 302 and 5-speed) 1979 Chevrolet Malibu wagon (350HO/700r4, 17" Cragars)
P
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
P
11/14/1994 - original owner, 78K miles

but I think I'm finally about to sell it.

-Peter

04 Mazda 6s V6 MTX, in service 10/28/03 02 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 165HP 4cyl auto AWD former: 95 Mystique LS V6 MTX [11/14/94-5/19/04]
B
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
B
Since Oct. '03 from 34k to about 41.5k. I wanted somthing smaller than my SUV for gas milage, but still fun and can hall some stuff, you know college life. The sight of the gold "Sport" caught my eye on the lot and the spoiler said GO. Once I test drove the Duratech manual, the power gadgets and moonroof made me want it. It didn't hurt that I was raised to love Fords.

S
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
S
My god, y'alls cars ARE YOUNG.

I've had mine since May '97.

54K miles.

I've done too much to detail here. . .

B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
Dude I love your seats.

1996 MM Zetec, ATX 192000 kms...not dead, but I'm not fixing it White people love Wayne Brady because he makes Bryant Gumbel look like Malcolm X.
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  GTO Pete, Trapps_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard