Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
R
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
R
Besides the occasional HPDE use, I'm thinking about modding my 'tour towards a specific Solo (auotocross) class. I've been to a couple of events so far and participated in G-Stock on street tires and bone stock suspension.

Where do you think these cars could end up being the most competitive...G-Stock, E-Street Prepared, or the Street Touring class? Obviously this question is independent of driver skill, just wondering where the playing field would be the most level.

Thanks,
Randy

W
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
W
STS is the best IMHO. It keeps you from doing the expensive intrusive things like LSDs, but let's you bolt on stuff as the season progresses. If I had to do it all over again, I would have skipped GS and went to STS; I swapped to Konis last year, and put on H&R's and a camber kit this year. Knowing now what a difference that meant, I would have bit the bullet and did it at the same time. Now, I can leisurely add a bigger sway bar, strut braces, intake options, etc.

Going to ESP puts you against prepped V8 Mustangs, Camaros and Turbo Supras. Yikes.

Whirling dervish of FFOG.
C
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
C
I agree... STS.

R
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
R
Weargle,

Thanks for your advice! Always appreciate anyone willing to share their "been there, done that, here's how to do it right" stories

How do you like your Azenis? People I've talked to here love them. Ever tried the Kumho MX's? Heard any comparisons between the two? Couldn't find anyone around here that had much time on them.

Randy

R
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
R
Thanks Eric!

Randy

W
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
W
From what I've gathered, the MX is about 2 lb lighter, and that weight is all in the sidewall. In our heavy cars, you need that sidewall thickness to prevent deformation and keep the tread on the track/airport/parking lot. However, the problem with the Azenis is that they go off as they warm up (turn greasier) and the MX is poorer from the line and gets better as they heat up.

On the standard autox course, you need the immediate traction, and in my experience, they don't go away unless you do several hot laps immediately after each other without resting. A trick that I among other use is to spray them with water from a pressurized garden sprayer between runs. A bonus of this is that you get to wash your hands after using the portajohns

What I would recommend doing first off(after improving tires) goes against what Fred Puhn recommends (a bigger sway bar) just because our stock suspension is so soft. I'd go with Konis/Bilsteins and H&R's/Eibachs and a camber kit. This isn't a cheap upgrade, but the difference is night and day. Then upgrade your sway bar next, then look into different intakes/exhaust scenarios, then maybe go for a rear strut tower brace, and last (and probably not necessary) a front strut tire brace.

One more caveat thought about tires: If you're doing double duty (daily driving and autocrossing) DO NOT DO AZENIS! They're for itshay in the rain on the interstate! For this application I would have no problem recommending the Kumho MX over the Falken.

C
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
C
Last I checked, none of these classes had a problem w/ people running race tires. I had some people in GS with Victoracers running against me.

If you're going to do it, get race tires, you'll probably cut several seconds off your times.

W
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
W
Originally posted by CHF_Slapaho:
Last I checked, none of these classes had a problem w/ people running race tires. I had some people in GS with Victoracers running against me.

If you're going to do it, get race tires, you'll probably cut several seconds off your times.

You cannot run these in STS/STX. The minimum treadwear rating is 140 and no R-compound tires. Which is *the* appeal of STS IMHO.

R
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
R
Stumbled onto the SCCAForums site ahile ago. In the ST* forums there's plenty of tire talk, especially regarding Azenis and MX's. The topic/debate seemed to be which tire's heat characteristics best suited each car and driver's style. I do plan on mounting whichever I choose on separate wheels for track-only use (maybe driving to and from).

I agree with your modification plan. I've seen that echoed elsewhere on this board. This would seem a logical way for the car to progress in step with my driving abilities, too.

Eric- If I've read the rules correctly (and I haven't read them all, yet) R-compound tires are allowed in the stock and SP classes, but not in the STS class. I thought R-compounds in stock was a little weird, but....

Randy

C
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
C
Well that's all good news to me. STS here I come as well.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Auto-X Fil 

Link Copied to Clipboard