Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#889594 03/03/04 06:14 PM
A
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
A
im planning to get the tour tuned up like new, don't be fooled with the high mileage i'm on my third engine and second tranny. Here is the list of what i'm planning to do this spring:
1. clean the UIM, LIM, TB, EGR passage, and IAC valve
2. flush antifreeze coolant, brake and steering fluid
3. clean my K&N filter and replace fuel and oil filter
4. replace PCV valve and hoses
5. replace MTX fluid and switch engine oil to synthetic
6. timing chain replacement, its my top priority but i have to get a mechanic to do this for me.
I'm thinking about redoing the exhaust later this summer so i'll wait on the Oxygen sensors. I did the spark plugs and wires 30k kms back so i'll wait another year.

things to check for while i'm at it:
1. oil and coolant leaks
2. serpentine belts

am i missing anything?
any suggestions

95 SE MTX DH UIM, 65mm TB, SC CAI, Quaife, Centerforce, Fidanza, UR Pulley, F/R Strut Braces, Cross Drilled Rotors, S.S. Brake Hoses, 18" Enkei RS5, SVT Engine Mounts+Inserts, MSDS & y-pipe, Trubendz resonated exhaust & MagnaFlow cat
#889595 03/03/04 07:23 PM
T
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
T
shouldn't you be working right now?
I have nothing to add, but i still dont know what the pcv valves are and what hoses are you planing of changing?

Does anyone have any hoses off a contour factory intake? I think i'm missing some and it might be the reason why my damn cel light is always on.
Advocate did you always have the cel light on when you had the intake on?
Oh yeah i need to find a intake tube anyone have one for sale?

1997 T-Red Contour V-6 MTX It HaS BeGuN!!!!!!!!!!!
#889596 03/03/04 08:01 PM
A
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
A
Originally posted by trujap:
shouldn't you be working right now?

i was still at work but now I'm at home. I work about 20-25 hrs a week now but i had over 300hrs of OT banked from the summer. So i just take it easy now, only wish the weather was nicer so i can start working on my car. its just way too cold in the garage, which reminds me i better take a look and see if i still have any of the hoses from the stock intake.
PCV valve is the Positive Crankcase Ventilation Valve, it would be about the right time to get mine replaced with all of the preventive maintenance i'm planing to do.

95 SE MTX DH UIM, 65mm TB, SC CAI, Quaife, Centerforce, Fidanza, UR Pulley, F/R Strut Braces, Cross Drilled Rotors, S.S. Brake Hoses, 18" Enkei RS5, SVT Engine Mounts+Inserts, MSDS & y-pipe, Trubendz resonated exhaust & MagnaFlow cat
#889597 03/03/04 08:31 PM
A
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
A
no CEL with mine, your missing something, check the codes to see what it is. perhaps your cats are causing the cel?!?

gut those bastards before they cost you an engine.

2005 Focus ST
#889598 03/03/04 08:42 PM
T
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
T
anyone wanna give me some free money??? Man i'm up for a huge maintence this year too. Prolly doing to the same as abwamo.
Clean the UIM and LIM.
Clean TB
Maybe replace those valves if they need replacing.
New brakes
Hopefully suspension if the money is available.
Hey here's a question advocate. How well are you with mechancial stuff. There's a svt in a junkyard and it's got lowered suspension i just dont know what type of condition it's in. It belonged to krisvt if you guys remember him. That guy that had that tree jump infront of him. Anyways i've looked at it a couple of times now and still can't decifer if it's in good or bad condition. He wants 300 for everything and that includes the springs and struts. Only thing is I dont know what else i'm going to need to put the post 98 suspension into the pre98.
I need to find a place to get my cat's gutted too. With what you told me before advocate i dont know if i want to venture to park muffler anymore. What is something i need to tell the guy inorder to get them done correctly? Do i need them to take them off or can they just do them on the car? I'm going to get some MIL's soon and it might just be the next mod cuz i dont want to have to buy a new engine. The brakes can wait i've driven them all winter in the condition there in and it's still pretty good.

wow that's a damn long post. hehehehehe sorry guys i dont usally jabber this long.

#889599 03/03/04 08:50 PM
A
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
A
I dont know about switching to synthetic, especially with it not being too fresh of an engine. I started using mobil 1 in my SHO (which probably had dino oil its whole life - 150K) and wow, leak galore. I'd stick with a good dino oil and change it often. Synthetic will wash the engine too well and remove some of the crud holding your seals up. I learned this lesson the hard way

Switched the oil to Castrol GTX - engine is much smoother and I'm not so worried about leaking like crazy.

Then again I ran mobil 1 in my Mystique from 80-100K with no problems.

Other then what you mentioned I would clean and balance the injectors and grease up anything that will take it.

2005 Focus ST
#889600 03/03/04 08:54 PM
T
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
T
are you saying it's bad to run synthic oil?? i've been running mobil 1 for a while now and haven't noticed any thing (knock on wood) however i have heard of synthetic doing stuff like that to an engine. Is it bad to change oil back and forth?

#889601 03/03/04 09:03 PM
A
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
A
Im not 100% on the suspension,I can't see it being too bad tho.

It depends, for the best job you should take them off, they can be done on the car but make sure they take out the 02's first and make sure they are very thourough. There are little steel wool rings in there that would spell disaster if they got sucked up into the engine.

The problem with the Contour is the cats are right in the manifolds (headers). dead cats was an easy prob to fix on the SHO.

2005 Focus ST
#889602 03/03/04 09:08 PM
T
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
T
Are they suppose to take everything out of the precats? I mean like everything!!!! With the rear one it's just a matter of unbolting the exhaust and then knockin everything out through the hole correct? But with the front they would either have to cut a hole out or hm... i'm not to sure! how did they do your front one in your mysti??? i really want to do this cuz i think it might help my car out. But i dont know what i'm suppose to tell the guys doing it. I want to make sure they dont mess up the car when they gut the cats!!!

#889603 03/03/04 09:08 PM
A
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
A
tag your it!

I would say it's bad to go back and forth, I suggest sticking with the same oil and changing it religiously. Changing to synthetic in my high mileage may have caused me problems. But if my car had seen synthetic for most of its life it would have been no problem.

its all hit and miss and opinion anyways.

all I know is that my SHO is smoother with normal dino oil then it was with synthetic, leading me to believe it is lubing the engine better, especially the valevtrain.

2005 Focus ST
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Lance Kinley_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard