Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
H
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
H
Why not take the UIM off, take it to the car wash and spray the sh*t out of it. I purchased an extra UIM a while back and did this, and it seemed to work great...everything came loose and it looked great...I never installed it due to a mod gone bad, but am looking to clean the UIM on my car this weekend...I have searched, but have not seen/heard of anyone doing it, and the reasons to or not to do it...thankx
~Matt

H
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
H
pros??? cons???

G
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
G
if the pressure is too high on the sprayer you can strip off the paint on the outside and inside of it, can be even worse if you have an SVT

98.5 Black SE ATX S&B filter, SVT MAF, optimized SVT TB, mesh grille, removed orange reflectors, painted rear reflector, gutted pre-cats, optimized SVT LIM, 19lb injectors, resonator removed cant afford an svt but lookin for 1 in nc
H
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
H
If that's it, I'm not worried about the paint, and no svt so it's a go! thankx

G
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
G
yeah there really should not be a problem with doing that, just make sure the psi is not too high and you should be safe

98.5 Black SE ATX S&B filter, SVT MAF, optimized SVT TB, mesh grille, removed orange reflectors, painted rear reflector, gutted pre-cats, optimized SVT LIM, 19lb injectors, resonator removed cant afford an svt but lookin for 1 in nc
M
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
M
Just 10 minutes ago I just got done cleaning my LIM, my Heads, my fuel rail, and my injectors, and I just stared at my UIM wondering how the [censored] I was going to pull it off. Will this car wash thing really work? Ill do it tomorrow!

2001 BMW 325i Sport, Stickshift '96 Mercury Mystique V6 *TOTALLED* For sale: Alpine CDA-9811 Eclipse Amplifier Pioneer Tweeters
H
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
H
I can't see a problem with it, as long as you use rinse water and not soap...i purchased an extra UIM a while ago, took it to the car wash and sprayed the h*ll out of it, inside and out. it looked new, as far as I could see, and seemingly has no problems (although i never installed it). Will I need a new LIM UIM gasket for ust an UIM cleaning? I don't think I have the technical experience or tools to do the lower. What about a new TB UIM gasket? STOP, DON"T SHOOT, I'm going to the how to now, but wanted to reply...thankx
~Matthew

M
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
M
Originally posted by highline9:
I can't see a problem with it, as long as you use rinse water and not soap...i purchased an extra UIM a while ago, took it to the car wash and sprayed the h*ll out of it, inside and out. it looked new, as far as I could see, and seemingly has no problems (although i never installed it). Will I need a new LIM UIM gasket for ust an UIM cleaning? I don't think I have the technical experience or tools to do the lower. What about a new TB UIM gasket? STOP, DON"T SHOOT, I'm going to the how to now, but wanted to reply...thankx
~Matthew

While you're in there, you might as well take out the LIM. The leaks are also known to be in the LIM gasket too. Technical experience is minimal for this, I have never taken off more than a throttle body, and right now I have my UIM, LIM and everything else sitting on my garage floor almost done being cleaned. Just read the how-to carefully, make sure u dont damage things that u know are expensive to fix, and dont lose any screws (like i am sure i already have.) Basically just try and remember what goes where, its pretty simple, and if you screw up, you got all of CEG to help you.

Edit: Anything that you take off and has a gasket, must be replaced. IAC, EGR, TB, UIM, LIM, etc. The primary reason of taking the manifolds off is the gaskets, cleaning it isnt as important as fixing the leaks.

Question: If I take the UIM to the car wash to clean it, can I put it on the Engine Clean Setting? I think it has soap in it, but common sense is telling me maybe theres engine de-greaser in it. That should help out a lot in cleaning it out, right?

Last edited by MercuryMystik99; 03/04/04 11:20 PM.

2001 BMW 325i Sport, Stickshift '96 Mercury Mystique V6 *TOTALLED* For sale: Alpine CDA-9811 Eclipse Amplifier Pioneer Tweeters
M
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
M
http://www.contour.org/mods/mods.php?s=howto&displayid=17 This will answer all of your questions, print it.

Link Copied to Clipboard