Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
P
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
The front upper sensor is a piece of cake. If you can't find it, you should give up and take the car to a shop. Removing that plastic cover helps to see it from the top.

Steve

98 Contour SE Sport 2.5 Duratec ATX The wifey's car 89 Taurus SHO - 246K miles 94 SHO ATX - 190K 1997 F-150 5.4L ATX - The Workhorse 150K. ANY THREAD WITH "OMG" or "WTF" ETC IN THE TITLE WILL BE IGNORED!
A
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
A
Two years ago, I did both upstream sensors on Mom's Mystique, so I anticipated the pain for doing the Bank 1 #1 sensor on my car today. It took me 3 1/2 hours, plucking out the wiring to the PCM, severing the pigtail to the sensor, a 22mm wrench and a 5-inch crescent wrench before I got the car back up to snuff. How the heck do the mechanics do it? AND make any money?

BTW: Can an O2 sensor go bad for years before the PCM tumbles on to it? When I fired up the car, the rotten egg smell was all gone, but it been there since early '03... and the CEL had been on for only 2 weeks.

Black/tan early '98 Contour SE Sport; dead-dead-deadsky (gone, split, outta here, afterlife kids) '05 Pontiac Sunfire; 2.2L Ecotec, ATX, well-equipped Mom also has black/tan '98 Mystique LS; V6, ATX, Alpine CD deck
Z
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
Z
I used a low profile O2 sensor socket that work out pretty good on bank 1 and bank 2 sensors,BTw did anyone have all the 02 sensors pictures? I really can't find any sensors other than the two I had replaced.

B
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
B
Originally posted by April Thompson:
BTW: Can an O2 sensor go bad for years before the PCM tumbles on to it?

Yes. The O2 sensor degrades in a linear, analog manner, slowly getting worse as time goes on.

The PCM, however, considers the O2 sensor to be in either one of two states: "good" or "bad"--which it isn't.

It's like shades of grey vs. black and white.

A
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
A
I got a fun thing now: throttle hang. I change the sensor, now the engine runs for a second at 2000 RPMs, then drops to 1250 for half a minute before settling at AROUND 1000. Before, I would start up and it would waffle a bit before sticking at 750, but feel sluggish at low RPMs, even with functioning butterflies. Now, it's so eager to rock, it revs into action straining at the end of its leash. Sigh. Can't win for losing sometimes...

Black/tan early '98 Contour SE Sport; dead-dead-deadsky (gone, split, outta here, afterlife kids) '05 Pontiac Sunfire; 2.2L Ecotec, ATX, well-equipped Mom also has black/tan '98 Mystique LS; V6, ATX, Alpine CD deck
A
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
A
Originally posted by zzzcool:
I used a low profile O2 sensor socket that work out pretty good on bank 1 and bank 2 sensors,BTw did anyone have all the 02 sensors pictures? I really can't find any sensors other than the two I had replaced.

They're in the Y-pipe on V-6 models: Bank 2's is actually quite visible near the oil pan. Bank 1's is just above the bend of the pipe, where it fits to the manifold. PITA to reach, quel surprise. Follow the leads with bright blue connectors, if all else fails.

B
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
B
The bright blue connectors are for the downstream/post cat sensors. The upstream sensors are going to be probably 5" above them.

B
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
B
Disconnect the battery for a few minutes--see if that fixes the throttle hang.

If not, maybe try cleaning the throttle body.

A
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
A
I want to get all the intake gaskets, as well as the TB, IAC and misc. gaskets so I can clean them all at once. But, yeah, the TB is filthy.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard