Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
S
sampo Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Hello all,

I have a 96' GL with the auto trans. The car has many problems but the two biggest ones are as follows:

1. The car will stall usually 2, but sometimes 3 or 4 times before it will acctaully run. It always dies the first time within about 10 seconds, then when I start it again it will run for about 20-30 seconds before dying. Using the 3rd time is the charme and it will actually run. If I give the car gas the first two time I start it, then it will run until I take my foot of the gas and then it will die almost instantly. Once I get the car running most of the time it will die if I come to stop and then try to pull away, this generally only happens within the first 5 mintues of running.

2. The car will often stall if I am on a hill, if it doesn't stall and die then it will try to stall and just sit there for a second or two before it starts to move and then it will usually get stuck in gear for a few seconds when it tries to shift.

Also this car has a seriously messed up electrical system, None of the interior lighting works, aside from the dash and
the power mirrors don't work. Also the car makes a clicking noise that comes from the gear selector when I step on the brakes, I believe there is a switch that is opened when the brakes are stepped on that allows the car to be shifted out of park, hoever this appears to be operating while the car is in drive, I don't know if this is also an electrical problem.

I was doing some searches on this site and read about a 100000 mile warranty on the wiring, does anyone have more information on this? I believe that some of my electrical problems are wiring related so this could be a real help.

I would appricate any help or ideas as to how to fix the problems with this car and what else I should look for.

Thanks.

H
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
H
Go outside pop your hod. Are your injecors wire bare/flaking/broken, are the ones on other parts of the engine bare/flaking/broken.
If see you any that are and your car has less than 100,000 on it is most likely under warranty program 99M03.

S
sampo Offline OP
OP Offline
S
What systems would be affected by the wiring problems, just the engine, or could it cause problems with other portions of the car?

T
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
T
Well, a lot can be affected by bad wiring, could be shorting a few fuel injectors, could short the Ignition coil to ground and preventing it from firing. A good thing to do is, get electrical tape, and closly investiage all wiring, might fix it.

Former owner of a 1995 Ford Contour GL w/ 2.0L ATX Proud owner of a 2005 Ford Taurus SE 3.0L V6 Vulcan --Looking for Commodore stuff (Drives, Units, Amiga, games, etc)If anyone has any of this laying around and wants it gone, lemme know --
S
sampo Offline OP
OP Offline
S
I've got another question regarding the brake lights, I thought I just had dead bulbs but after replacing them yesterday still no light. I checked the current on the line and no power is going to the brake lights. This only affects the 2 tail lights not the third light in the window. I check all of the fuses and they all looked ok, however I don't have the owners manual so I don't know which fuse handles the brake lights. A family member recently had a similiar problem with their daewoo, all of their brakes lights went out and the solution was to replace the brake switch. Has anyone had this problem with their contour?

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard