Next Thread
Print Thread
#884397 02/27/04 03:02 AM
Z
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
Z
i did a search and found a lot of useful info. i know where i am going to put my two senders now i do have a few other questions about the actual wiring of the gauges though.

1) is it safe to connect the wire for the lights in the gauges to the dimmer switch on the dash? i want the gauges to come on with the dash lights but i also want to be able to dim them on those long night time trips.
2)Can i run a single lead wire from the dimmer switch and splice all three of the wires for the gauge lights into that single wire? if yes, do i need to use a larger gauge wire or what do ya'll recommend?
3)what is the best way to ground the gauges? can i do the same as the wire from the dimmer? ( connect all the grounds together and run them all to a single grounding point or do they all have to have an individual ground wire?)
4) wich is the best o2 sensor to tap into for the a/f gauge?

i am not so great when it comes to wiring stuff, my knowledge is very limited. but i am slowly learning

2000 csvt #1553 Black/Tan
N
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
N
What type of gauges? Overlays?
I'm not sure on the O2 sensor but about the gauges, I used my dimmer switch as the power source. But, I didn't splice into it. If you pull the plastic surround that holds the stereo & HVAC and disconnect the dimmer switch from the back of that. Then on the back side of that plug itself I inserted the power wire for my gauges. I put a flat male end connection into the slot on the back of that plug. Fits right in there with no splicing. The middle wire of the dimmer switch is the wire that has power when the lights are on.

I ground my gauge overlays right on my radio ground wire. Just have my radio & overlays ground into the same wire. Seems to work fine.

If you're powering overlays how are they powered? I mean do they all connect into one plug and you're trying to find power for that plug? If each one is it's own seperate wire and needs its own seperate power then you'll want to use a bigger wire feeding into smaller wires, but I wouldn't use the dimmer switch. I would think you'll pull too many amps and keep blowing fuses.

"Fear is the little death." Muadib.
Z
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
Z
thanks for the info about the dimmer switch nate. i guess i should have been a little more specific though. i am installing some autometer gauges( a/f, oil pressure and water temp) into my a pillar replacement pod. i was wanting to answer the questions in the previous post in regards to the autometer phantom gauges that i am installing. also, i have another question for thoise out there using the phantoms and the lotek pod. is it necesary to trim down the two long screw on the back of the gauge that are used to mount the metal retainer in order to fit them into the pod. the first couple of test fits that i have made have met some resistance and i can't figure out why. i think that it may be those two long posts though i am not certain.

Last edited by zm830101; 02/27/04 04:15 AM.

Z
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
Z
c'mon guys, i know that somebody out there can answer these questions

N
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
N
Originally posted by zm830101:
thanks for the info about the dimmer switch nate. i guess i should have been a little more specific though. i am installing some autometer gauges( a/f, oil pressure and water temp) into my a pillar replacement pod. i was wanting to answer the questions in the previous post in regards to the autometer phantom gauges that i am installing. also, i have another question for thoise out there using the phantoms and the lotek pod. is it necesary to trim down the two long screw on the back of the gauge that are used to mount the metal retainer in order to fit them into the pod. the first couple of test fits that i have made have met some resistance and i can't figure out why. i think that it may be those two long posts though i am not certain.

OH! That is different I'm not sure if the dimmer switch would hold up to the load. But I guess it depends on what each gauge says.

Good Luck!

"Fear is the little death." Muadib.

Moderated by  GTO Pete 

Link Copied to Clipboard