Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 11 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 10 11
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
Originally posted by SVT ST PETE:
livin,
the thickness problems with the last GB have been mentioned.

One other issue is the clearcoat - not on top of the sail panel itself, but on the sides.

I have outlined the "sides" or "edge" of the CF panel - it is not clearcoated. It looks grayish and looks like trash.

"pic"

Also, I am not trying to bad mouth the company's product - only voicing my concern that these will turn out like the last ones produced.

Just making sure that you are aware that you outlined my pic with the StreetConcepts sail panels, and not livin's whose panel's edges do look similar.

L
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
L
livin,

One other issue is the clearcoat - not on top of the sail panel itself, but on the sides.

I have outlined the "sides" or "edge" of the CF panel - it is not clearcoated. It looks grayish and looks like trash.

Also, I am not trying to bad mouth the company's product - only voicing my concern that these will turn out like the last ones produced.

Well let me ask you this. What is clear coating the sides have to do with this(is the carbon actualy seperating from the resin). Clear coating the trashy gray is just going to make it glossy trashy gray. My panels appear thinner and are flush mounted with the oem mounting. So you do not even see the sides. I am not following you there .

You guys had me realy confused about your concerns. 1314& Pete thanks for clearing things up a bit. The way they were being described before was not at all what I thought you were talking about. Keep the comments coming

'99 Silver svt For sale 19" Axis Neo wheels 3.0 parts, pre-98 trunk, Check classifieds bp.powell@comcast.net
G
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
G
Originally posted by livinsvt:
livin,

Well let me ask you this. What is clear coating the sides have to do with this(is the carbon actualy seperating from the resin). Clear coating the trashy gray is just going to make it glossy trashy gray. My panels appear thinner and are flush mounted with the oem mounting. So you do not even see the sides. I am not following you there .

You guys had me realy confused about your concerns. 1314& Pete thanks for clearing things up a bit. The way they were being described before was not at all what I thought you were talking about. Keep the comments coming

Clearcoated trashy gray is better than non-clearcoated trashy gray because:

1. the surface is shiny and clear and if the sides are not, there is a contrast. Better to have both shine.

2. Where the clearcoated surface meets the non-clearcoated sides, mine have become brittle and crumbled in some places, leaving ugly "trails" of broken clearcoat all around the sail panel.

HTH

Capitol CEG Classifieds Make an offer! 2005 GTO IBM - 337hp/336tq
L
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
L
Clearcoated trashy gray is better than non-clearcoated trashy gray because:

1. the surface is shiny and clear and if the sides are not, there is a contrast. Better to have both shine.

Well my point is you don't even see the sides. There flush mount. I don't see the contrast as being an issue.

2. Where the clearcoated surface meets the non-clearcoated sides, mine have become brittle and crumbled in some places, leaving ugly "trails" of broken clearcoat all around the sail panel.

HTH

No one has answered my question about the old style being vacuumed. That would solve that problem

'99 Silver svt For sale 19" Axis Neo wheels 3.0 parts, pre-98 trunk, Check classifieds bp.powell@comcast.net
S
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
S
I'm still in for a set, I just need a little bit of time

I can see a difference between the old bad set that people hated and yours.

2005 Ford F150 SuperCab FX4 1964 Chevrolet Impala SS 1998 CSVT: 354HP/328TQ @ 10 psi, now gone
G
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
G
No one has answered my question about the old style being vacuumed. That would solve that problem

What is vacuumed?

Capitol CEG Classifieds Make an offer! 2005 GTO IBM - 337hp/336tq
M
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
M

What is vacuumed?

Vacuum sealed is really not the correct term. The correct term is Vacuum Bagged. Basically what happens is when the final CF and epoxy has been laid into the mold, a process called "Vacuum Bagging" is done. Vacuum bagging basically changes the atmospheric pressure of the CF and epoxy while it's in the mold. To vacuum bag, different layers of removable materials are layed on the CF and epoxy and then air sealed to the mold. Then a vacuum is attached to the last layer and all of the air is sucked out, creating a different atmospheric pressure. This helps spread the epoxy more evenly and compact all of the layers of CF. Making the final product stronger.

Vacuum bagging is by far the really only way to make anything good out of CF.

--Matt(Doing his own CF projects)

2003 Sonic Blue SVT Cobra Coupe 2003 RedFire SVT Cobra Convertable 2005 Dark Toreador Red F150 XLT 4x4 2000 Black SVT Contour - Beater
L
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
L
Originally posted by mmars:
Vacuum sealed is really not the correct term. The correct term is Vacuum Bagged. Basically what happens is when the final CF and epoxy has been laid into the mold, a process called "Vacuum Bagging" is done. Vacuum bagging basically changes the atmospheric pressure of the CF and epoxy while it's in the mold. To vacuum bag, different layers of removable materials are layed on the CF and epoxy and then air sealed to the mold. Then a vacuum is attached to the last layer and all of the air is sucked out, creating a different atmospheric pressure. This helps spread the epoxy more evenly and compact all of the layers of CF. Making the final product stronger.

Vacuum bagging is by far the really only way to make anything good out of CF.

--Matt(Doing his own CF projects)

Yes thank you. I thought saying vacuum sealed would better help get the message across. So that brings me to my question again, were the other ones vacuum bagged?

M
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
M
No they weren't. He just cut them out of a sheet of CF.

--Matt

2003 Sonic Blue SVT Cobra Coupe 2003 RedFire SVT Cobra Convertable 2005 Dark Toreador Red F150 XLT 4x4 2000 Black SVT Contour - Beater
S
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
S
Brett,

I think the point that everyone is trying to get across is to have a layer of CF wrap over and around the edge to the back side, after the epoxy cures sand the back smooth and then apply the clear coat. Flush mount or not this will create a finished edge and if it did show a little it would still be CF not the unfinished edge of the gray fiberglass or whatever the base is. The base material should be very thin so that is slightly flexible to allow it to follow the contour of the original panel. If it's too thick it will not flex and therefore will not sit in the opening properly. The outer dimensions of the base material should be undersized to allow for the additional CF and epoxy/clear coat on the outer edge to properly fit into place on the OEM panel. I think if your guys can get this done everyone will be very happy and you will sell a sh!t load!

Keep up the good work...your getting there

Scott

Scott 2000 Contour SVT #1464 Mustang Dyno: 171.6hp/145.3lb Dynojet Dyno: 171.1hp/148.9lb 1989 20th Anniversary Turbo T/A "Indy 500 Pace Car" #1376 of 1550 All Original, 46k with a few mods 2002 F150 SuperCrew
Page 6 of 11 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 10 11

Moderated by  1314_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard