Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Z
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
Z
Just like the subject says, the starter spins when you try to turn the car on, but the motor doesn't turn over with it. Possible causes? Also, is it possible to jump start an SVT while rolling down a driveway in reverse?

2000 csvt #1553 Black/Tan
B
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
B
It is possible to push-start a manual transmission Contour with the following procedure:

1)Put key to ON position (check engine light should be lit).

2)Get a helper to push the car and get it moving.

3)Select 3rd gear.

4)Release the clutch for a second--engine should start.

You might be able to do this in reverse with the car rolling backwards, but reverse is a lower gear than 3rd and so you may find that it won't work.

As far as the problem with the starter, it sounds like you need a new starter.

N
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
N
Spins? Does it make that horrible sound that you hear when you try to start a car that's already started?

I think you have have stripped the teeth on the starter itself. I did that once on my Sunbird. Push started it thanfkully.

"Fear is the little death." Muadib.
Z
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
Z
the starter spins for sure, but it is not the same noise as when the motor is running. honestly, i really can't tell if the motor is turning over with the starter or not.

2000 csvt #1553 Black/Tan
N
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
N
The starter is just an electric motor. If it's spinning, and not engaging the flywheel, it'll spin real fast, much faster than normal. You'd know.

"Fear is the little death." Muadib.
C
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
C
Mine did that same thing back in December, you could hear the starter spinning but it didnt engage the flywheel, or the teeth were gone. Let it sit for a while and then try it again, it may be that only some of the teeth are stripped. That was the case with mine. You should be able to get a new starter put in for like $230?

A
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
A
I've gotten it pop-started in every gear, including reverse. (I was trying to figure out which was best)

-Philip Maynard '95 Contour [71 STS | Track Whore] '97 Miata [71 ES | Boulevard Pimp] 2006 autocross results
B
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
B
I figured third based on vehicle moving about 3MPH and a desired engine cranking speed of about 250RPM. Or something like that. 3rd is about 81RPM per 1MPH

R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
Originally posted by zm830101:
the starter spins for sure, but it is not the same noise as when the motor is running. honestly, i really can't tell if the motor is turning over with the starter or not.

Have someone crank it while you watch the pulleys.

If they do not move, the bendix is probably stuck on the starter or missing teeth on the flywheel.

If the pulleys move and it cranks faster than usual it is probably flooded.

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it" -George Santayana
T
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by Rogerm60:
Originally posted by zm830101:

Have someone crank it while you watch the pulleys.

If they do not move, the bendix is probably stuck on the starter or missing teeth on the flywheel.

If the pulleys move and it cranks faster than usual it is probably flooded.

I agree...if you want to be sure 100%, then remove the starter and manually crank the engine at the bolt on the front side of engine crank pully, and with a flash light have someone crank the engine over very slowly to see if any teeth are sheared off on the flywheel. I had the exact problem, and mine was the starter & the flywheel both shot.
Need to remove the tranny for replacement of the flywheel, a big job...done on your back in the garage! This is common on these cars, in fact ford sells a flywheel with an updated part number, as the new replacement flywheel has chamfered edges for easier engagement.

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard