Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
#879908 03/01/04 06:03 AM
B
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
B
Here is what you can and can not do in Stock classes.

TIRES
You must run stock size wheels but they do not have to be STOCK wheels. beleive it or not, the smaller diameter wheels seem to work best with short side wall tires. Hard to beat that lower CG. You can run with DOT approved racing tires. When buying tires, look for the lowest treadware ratings. Around 170 would be good for racing but ware out quick on the street. They can be any size that will fit on the rim correctly. Most people keep their set of racing tires and rims off the car and change them when they get to the track. If you must use street tires, inflate them to 38 to 40 psi. Deflate them to normal pressure before returning to the street. You must remove hub caps. Be sure you have secure wheels and no broken lug studs.

REMOVING THINGS
You can not remove anything that is bolted down. The spare tire is the exception. You may need to try your car with and without the spare to see how your balance works. You may want to try different levels of fuel in the tank. Half a tank of gas may not work as well as 5/8ths, etc... You can not remove your airfilter unit. You may remove the filter. You can not remove seat belts but, you may add a five point harness. You can not add any braces, strut tower or otherwise, unless it came on the car originally. Take out that booming stereo box speaker system before you leave the house. It's just dead weight anyway and if it's loose, they will make you remove it. Where do you keep that loaded box at the track? You don't. They don't have places to keep stuff like that so they get jacked! They will leave your tires alone though. Weird huh?

ADDING OTHER THINGS
You may add any kind of shocks you want as long as they mount in the stock location and require NO mods to install. Install the best brake pads you can afford. They will check to make sure you have good brake pedal pressure before your class runs so do not show up with poor pedal pressure. The tires, brakes, and shocks will be your best investments and will lower your time the most as far as parts go. There are other small things that the rule book will cover which you must buy before you can compete at most events. They usually sell them there at the race. Another thing is a helmet. If you don't have one, they usually have loaners.

The best way to win is seat time. You will find that the fastest car doesn't mean poop at these events. Sure it doesn't hurt to have more power but skill is where it's at and when you go to race, go to learn. Ask questions and go to as many events as you can. It will also make you a safer, smarter street driver.

Good luck and have fun!

Britt Boyette Break Like the Wind Racing
#879909 03/01/04 06:46 PM
C
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
C
Good luck dude. I love AutoX, I did it for a year and a half. You'll have a ball.

Been trying to get people in my region to do this for a while. Then, I remembered, people in my region don't do much of anything. Here's an old post of mine. Some decent pics.

#879910 03/02/04 12:40 AM
I
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
I
I just went to my first AutoX event yesterday! Oh man, it was a BLAST! I want to run SSB in a couple of years, so I want to AutoX as much as possible cause it's really teaching me a lot. I ran my SVT and my more seasoned friend ran my SVT. He took 1st in GS and I took 3rd. There was a V6 Camaro (with a borla...tsk tsk) and a Civic Si. The guy running the Si was new too, so it's not much saying I beat him, but my friend ran his car too, and was actually a tad faster than the SVT in it. Of course, I had some problems with the car there...surprise, surprise... Just go out there and have fun!

I ran a search already! 99 Ford Contour SVT - SOLD!! '90 CRX Si, '98 Explorer V8, '98 Acura ITRally Co-Driver
#879911 03/02/04 04:56 PM
T
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
T
Originally posted by BrittB:
Here is what you can and can not do in Stock classes.

...ADDING OTHER THINGS
You may add any kind of shocks you want as long as they mount in the stock location and require NO mods to install.

Good luck and have fun!

I didn't know that!! I thought you had to run stock suspension setup or something that was available from the factory as an option. So, you're saying I can buy a BAT european handling kit, bolt it in & go racing the Stock class in an otherwise factory car?

If this specifically applies to the SVTs which are one bracket higher than my SE. Does it also apply to the Stock G class of my SE?

Must be that jumbly-wumbly thing happening again.
#879912 03/02/04 07:10 PM
C
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
C
I think the Springs in the Euro Handling Kit would put you in another class.

#879913 03/03/04 03:00 PM
B
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
B
Just the shocks. I think cat back exhaust may be okay too. I will have to dig out the book to be sure.

Britt Boyette Break Like the Wind Racing
#879914 03/03/04 03:28 PM
T
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
T
Cat back is OK, I checked. I was just surprised about the suspension mods. I thought it was factory only stuff for Stock.

Must be that jumbly-wumbly thing happening again.
#879915 03/03/04 08:53 PM
S
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
S
I think I was in Street Modified last time I raced my 3L SVT. Sound right anyone?

Silver 98 SVT Contour E0 #4121 Reborn with 3L 6/03 Dyno: Max Horse Power= 194.1 Max Torque= 184.8 http://www.geocities.com/speeddemons19 Also at www.cardomain.com/memberpage/561067
#879916 03/04/04 08:15 AM
S
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
S
I'm looking at the 2002 rule book (can't find my 2003).

You can use any shock useing stock mounting points and mounting system. No more than two external damping adjustments. Suspension geometry and range of travel may NOT be altered from stock.

Front sway bar can be removed or replaced. You can NOT do anything to the REAR sway bar. You can use any bushings on the FRONT sway bar that you want.

Everything else in the suspension must remain stock.

Cat back exhaust can be changed but be careful of local noise restrictions.

Wheels must be stock diameter and width and =/- .25" offset from stock.

You can use any brake pads, oil and grease that you want.

That is about all you can do to the car and run stock class.

Good luck and HAVE FUN!!!!!

John Alessi Torredor Red #1915 of 2150 Born 27Jan2000 G/S No serious mods allowed 1986 SVO Mustang
#879917 03/04/04 02:46 PM
R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
Originally posted by SVT2000Contour:
I'm looking at the 2002 rule book (can't find my 2003).

You can use any shock useing stock mounting points and mounting system. No more than two external damping adjustments. Suspension geometry and range of travel may NOT be altered from stock.

Front sway bar can be removed or replaced. You can NOT do anything to the REAR sway bar. You can use any bushings on the FRONT sway bar that you want.

Everything else in the suspension must remain stock.

Cat back exhaust can be changed but be careful of local noise restrictions.

Wheels must be stock diameter and width and =/- .25" offset from stock.

You can use any brake pads, oil and grease that you want.

That is about all you can do to the car and run stock class.

Good luck and HAVE FUN!!!!!

Spark plugs (don't bother), and Magnecor plug wires (good for a small boost), and a K&N drop-in filter in the standard intake housing.

Oh, and any DOT approved tire of any size that will fit on your rims and not rub on your fender. So, low-profile, sticky DOT-approved "race" tires like Hoosiers...

Function before fashion. '96 Contour SE "Toss the Contour into a corner, and it's as easy to catch as a softball thrown by a preschooler." -Edmunds, 1998
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Auto-X Fil 

Link Copied to Clipboard