Print Thread
#878872 02/21/04 05:46 AM
V
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
V
Hey Guys,
I have a 2001 atx cougar. I have the lower and upper svt intake manifolds on with 75mm MAF that isn't calibrated right for the 19lbs injectors. Somebody told me that I can put a svt maf on my cougar? Even tough the svt maf is calibrated for mtx, is this correct?

Unorthadox Underdrive pulley,Sho Shop High flow y-pipe w/cat,SVT Upper and Lower Intake manifolds w/19lbs. injectors,Svt 65mm TB,75mm MAF cali. for 19lbs ,Weapon R Dragon Intake Trio,MSDS Headers,Borla Exhaust w/Dual Exit, Vitek wires and Superchip.
W
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
W
MAF's are not calibrated to the transmissions. They are not really even calibrated to fuel injectors.

MAF's are calibrated to a specific airflow range and matched to each motor. A MAF has to have good resolution at idle but still have a wide enough range to be able to read the aiflow at MAX throttle and rpm. The airflow range or 'calibration' as it is called is plugged into the computer so that the computer can interpret the MAF voltages as the correct amount of air coming into the engine.
The computer also has the injector size entered into it in order to allow it to run the correct pulse width and deliver the right amount of fuel.

The two components are related only by the computer, nothing more.
The transmission is even less relevant to the maf than the injectors.

So to answer your question, YES you can use an SVT MAF on your ATX car. Just don't expect it to run right without a chip to tell your computer what the correct calibration is.

Former owner of '99 CSVT - Silver #222/2760 356/334 wHP/TQ at 10psi on pump gas! See My Mods '05 Volvo S40 Turbo 5 AWD with 6spd, Passion Red '06 Mazda5 Touring, 5spd,MTX, Black
V
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
V
Thanks Warmonger! Also I get a CEL that said I'm running to rich when I put the lower and upper svt manifolds, svt throttle body, and 75mm MAF. Could that be the computer too?

Unorthadox Underdrive pulley,Sho Shop High flow y-pipe w/cat,SVT Upper and Lower Intake manifolds w/19lbs. injectors,Svt 65mm TB,75mm MAF cali. for 19lbs ,Weapon R Dragon Intake Trio,MSDS Headers,Borla Exhaust w/Dual Exit, Vitek wires and Superchip.
W
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
W
Originally posted by venom413:
Thanks Warmonger! Also I get a CEL that said I'm running to rich when I put the lower and upper svt manifolds, svt throttle body, and 75mm MAF. Could that be the computer too?

Are you running the SVT injectors in that lower intake manifold?
What is the 75mm MAF off of, is it your stock MAF?
You shouldn't have any problem with the SVT intake sytems except the 19# SVT injectors and the SVT MAF. Those items will require a custom chip.

You will still see good results if you run your stock injectors and stock MAF with the SVT intake parts on your car....so switch them back until you can get a chip tuned.

Former owner of '99 CSVT - Silver #222/2760 356/334 wHP/TQ at 10psi on pump gas! See My Mods '05 Volvo S40 Turbo 5 AWD with 6spd, Passion Red '06 Mazda5 Touring, 5spd,MTX, Black
V
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
V
Yes, I'm running the 19lbs injector's with a pro flow 75mm MAF. Yeah, I think I will change it back to stock injectors and maf. Is it bad to run it to long running it rich, I plan on sending my cpu to superchips to get a chip burned in May. They don't have my code.

W
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
W
It is bad on your catalytic converter to run too rich. In some cases it is also bad for your cylinders too as too much fuel washes off the oil that helps reduce cylinder wear and reduces compression.
You are probably not to that point though. Just swap in stock injectors and MAF as we already stated until you get a chip done.

For a chip search for Keyser here on CEG. He will link you up with Streetflight to get a chip burned for you that will easily allow you to run the bigger MAF and injectors as well as ramp up the timing for you for a little extra power.

Moderated by  GTO Pete 

Link Copied to Clipboard