Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
N
N
I donâ??t post much but I thought I would reply to this.
I sold my 2000 SVT last October. It was tough but hereâ??s why.
After I bought my Contour SVT I started having problems. All my previous cars were high mileage and required frequent maintenance and the like. I enjoy working on cars so this isnâ??t an issue. Then I bought the Contour. It was new and trouble free. I got twitchy so I had to buy another car that was old and not maintenance free. I got a â??93 Miata.

Well the SVT is a great drive but the Miata is even better (especially in the summer). After a while I realized I was driving the Miata a lot more than the Ford. If I wanted a fun car I took the Miata. If I needed a car I could get dirty or not care aboutâ?¦ well I also took the Miata. The Ford was in immaculate condition and I couldnâ??t stand the thought of someone opening their door into my baby.

At the same time I also missed having a utilitarian beater. Before I got the Ford I had a Corolla wagon. Not gods gift to fun driving but it was great for hauling stuff or driving to places where people may open their door into my car.

So now I was stuck. I loved the Ford and couldnâ??t stand to see it get scratch or dirty yet I drove the Miata a lot more. In the end I decided to sell the Ford and buy a more utilitarian replacement. The sort of car I could get dirty and not worry about. I ended up with a â??97 SAAB 900 turbo. Same 0-60 time as the Ford, better equipped, hatch back and decent back seatsâ?¦ the Ford is sooo much nicer to drive. The SAAB feels like a top heavy Jetta in comparison to the Ford. The turbo 4 has great mid range power but it also has turbo lag and no power right off the line. What the SAAB really has is more interior room (you can carry a washing machine if you leave the hatch open) and with 60,000 miles (same as my Ford) I ended up with $4200 in my pocket after selling one and buying the other.

I still miss the Ford. Iâ??ve driven a lot of $20k-$40k cars. Few were ever a good as the Ford. That 2.5L motor is a gem. One of the best exhaust notes ever. Many of the newer cars have more power but none have an engine that sounded so good or was so smooth. The Contour SVT has a good solid feel and Iâ??ve never driven a 4 that was as all around nice as the Contourâ??s V6 (including the Acura TSX and Honda S2000). The newer cars may be faster but I will always love the Ford.

W
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
W
Originally posted by Lee K:
Quote:

im 18, and im on my third car and second CSVT....am i still a young whippersnapper?

Yes,of course. The whippersnapper epithet lasts until you're forced to buy your first minivan for the family.

Enjoy it while you can.

Lee K
98 SVT Contour, silver
03 Evo, red

I'm 41 but haven't bought a minivan... yet. Do I still qualify as a "Young Whippersnapper too?!?!

Roger - "Old Guy" "Every car is a sports car sometime." 1999 White SE Sport V6 MTX 2005 Toyota Sienna - 8 passenger
M
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
M
Crap the pics aren't working! Oh well

Mazda 6S, V6, Speed Yellow 5 Speed, Sport package Bose audio Painted 'stash and HIDs! w/Injen 1/4 14.750 @ 94.94 Former car: 99 Contour SE Sport Black MTX V6 SVT plastic... 1/4 - 15.012 @ 90.58
M
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
M
How could you guys let yourselves be forced into buying a minivan? You can still fit A kid and A wife into a sedan or even a coupe. Even with TWO kids. I just dont get it. Growing up we never had a minivan, and neither did my best friend who has 2 other brothers. That family of three kids had a coupe when they were growing up. Im 18, and NOW my parents buy an SUV, and I dont think they had a good reason to justify it either. Atleast its a 3.0 toyota, not a gas guzzler expedition or anything.

2001 BMW 325i Sport, Stickshift '96 Mercury Mystique V6 *TOTALLED* For sale: Alpine CDA-9811 Eclipse Amplifier Pioneer Tweeters
K
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
K
Sorry Rog, but your whippersnapper days have looonnnngg past.

-R-

I'm a Karate Man. Karate men..bruise on the inside. "The difference between oversteer and understeer: oversteer is when the passengers are scared, understeer is when the driver is scared." -Driver Unknown
W
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
W
Originally posted by Kung Fu Joe:
Sorry Rog, but your whippersnapper days have looonnnngg past.

-R-

Awwww man!!!

Roger - "Old Guy" "Every car is a sports car sometime." 1999 White SE Sport V6 MTX 2005 Toyota Sienna - 8 passenger
J
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
J
Originally posted by MercuryMystik99:
How could you guys let yourselves be forced into buying a minivan? You can still fit A kid and A wife into a sedan or even a coupe. Even with TWO kids. I just dont get it. Growing up we never had a minivan, and neither did my best friend who has 2 other brothers. That family of three kids had a coupe when they were growing up. Im 18, and NOW my parents buy an SUV, and I dont think they had a good reason to justify it either. Atleast its a 3.0 toyota, not a gas guzzler expedition or anything.

Two kids that are stroller-age? With the king-kong sized strollers that they have now? Good luck getting THAT into a Cougar.

OTOH, the Mazda 6 wagon and 5-door are fantastic alternatives to minivans.

"Think of it, if you like, as a librarian with a G-string under the tweed." Clarkson on the Mondeo.
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  GTO Pete, Trapps_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard