Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
S
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
S
Originally posted by akrump47:
I see this going two ways. One one side of the fence we have those who have kept their cars mostly stock and are now getting rid of them for newer, more uplevel, more powerful cars. (Mazda6, Scoobys, EVO, G35, Accord/Altima/TL all come to mind.)

On the other side of the fence we have those who have decided instead to seriously upgrade their car's performance to compete or even blow out of the water many of the aforementioned rides. Thanks to the Street Flight turbo kit we now have SVT Contours putting out 325-400 horsepower in street trim and nearly as much torque 3L swaps are a dime a dozen nowadays, and there is the eventual possibilty that someone truly insane with some $$$ will convert one of these cars to AWD.

It is these former group of people wo can be called the true "Contour Enthusiasts" IMO

seems not worth it to dump that much money into the car. i like my CSVT and it does have a few mods, but i still do plan on having a new car next year. for me i just want something new to start on with no problems so i can spend more money on mods and not repairs.

FORSALE - 17" FSVT Wheels, TRubendz catback w/magnaflow muffler PM ME 02 celica GT-S 6-spd w/ TRD bodykit Greddy evoII exhaust, DC sports header Injen Short ram intake, TWM short throw shifter, 18"centerline storm wheels, Tein basic coilovers
B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
Originally posted by 99MystiqueATX:

I think im gonna run the Mystique into the ground... Although, if that ATX goes... its time for a manual swap

My exact thoughts on the subject. Might as well toss in an SVT engine while I'm at it. And no, I don't need a lecture on the cost, difficulty, etc.

1996 MM Zetec, ATX 192000 kms...not dead, but I'm not fixing it White people love Wayne Brady because he makes Bryant Gumbel look like Malcolm X.
K
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
K
I'd say it has alot to do with whats out there right now to buy and/or whats coming out I mean stop and think about it, look at what I paid for my 2000 CSVT ($23.5K and w/ the Ford discount the car was $22K), what could/would you buy for $22K right now:

-Neon SRT-4 w/ enough left over to go right into the 13's!

-FSVT w/ enough left over to S/C it!

-Mini Cooper S which needs nothing!

-Mazda 3 w/ enough left over to mod nicely

-Sentra SE-R V-spec w/ enough left over to make it run VERY well

-WRX (year end closeout pricing)

-Lancer Ralliart w/enough left over to mod it out

These are a couple cars right off the top of my head and some of the reasons as to "why get rid of the CSVT?" That being said, I'm lookin' forward to modding my CSVT because I'm not done yet

"THEE" Roger R USMondeo@aol.com 2005 Crossfire Limited coupe' -FOR SALE @buyout price & I'll... -throw in my 93' Regal as winter car *Dragon Run 06'...Oct 12-15th* Puur-fection Auto Detailing Complete packages from $140.00
T
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by The Striped SVT:
what could/would you buy for $22K right now:

I got my Mazda6s for less than that

'04 Mazda6S MTX Injen CAI, 18% Tint, Magnaflow Catback, CPE-MAFc My Mazda6 PICS Toadster's Website
T
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by Lee K:
Some thoughts:

1. SVT owners are generally "car guys", so after a few years of ownership, they are ready to move onto something different.
2. Horrendous depreciation. My E0 SVT with 95K miles, which I paid full list price for in June 1997, might be worth $5K at best. People who are looking to trade or sell their SVTs are wiser to do it sooner rather than later.
3. Nagging problems. My SVT drove me crazy in the last two years: squeaking suspension, bad wheel bearings, a leaking power steering hose, an antenna that won't retract anymore, water in the trunk, a failed catalytic converter, a head unit that won't load CDs anymore, and tires that wore out at 14K (related to the wheel bearings, I hope). Face it -- SVT contours aren't Hondas. I suppose a number of people just get tired of putting up with the hassles.
4. Technology marches on. The SVT was a bargain in 1997, and a very strong performer. Seven years later, we have Nissan Altimas and Honda Accords with 240 HP, for God's sake! The SVT is a nice car, but it is being upstaged with newer, faster, and more reliable automobiles. See number 1 above.
5. Changing demographics. As Contours age, their original set of owners are now older, presumably making a bit more money, and have moved on to performance/luxury cars such as the Mazda 6s, the Nissan G35, and the Acura TL. That leaves used Contours moving to the "first car" market, like teenagers looking for their first set of wheels. You can see it in the newbies on the CEG boards. Lots of young whippersnappers now.
6. Automotive revolution. The era of the pony car is dead. We now have super-quick Japanese all-wheel drive cars that capture the fancy of today's youth. While The Fast and Furious crowd is a bit removed from your typical Contour enthusiast, the influences are there, and the siren song of STi's, Evos, and tricked out Civics is strong.

Lee K
98 SVT Contour, silver

I will never buy a Japanese car, those pretty much suck! Id be alot much happier in a SVT Contour, those Japanese do not know how to build a car I would be happy in, Ford does. Out of alot of forign cars I have been in, none compare to a Ford. But when you have a bunch of movies on these import cars, you got a bunch of wannabes who wanna do exactly like they did because it was on a movie

Former owner of a 1995 Ford Contour GL w/ 2.0L ATX Proud owner of a 2005 Ford Taurus SE 3.0L V6 Vulcan --Looking for Commodore stuff (Drives, Units, Amiga, games, etc)If anyone has any of this laying around and wants it gone, lemme know --
K
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
K
Originally posted by ContourKev:

I will never buy a Japanese car, those pretty much suck! Id be alot much happier in a SVT Contour, those Japanese do not know how to build a car I would be happy in, Ford does. Out of alot of forign cars I have been in, none compare to a Ford. But when you have a bunch of movies on these import cars, you got a bunch of wannabes who wanna do exactly like they did because it was on a movie

When I get my G35 6MT, I will show you what Ford DOES NOT have anymore....280Hp 270Tq stock... Available in 2 or 4 door.

If you havent guessed its a replacement for the SVT Contour, they make nothing in that class for 2004 or 2005.

2006 will be the year to get a Cobra, but I am not waiting that long to get a new car. I loved my SVT and think highly of Ford products ( Ford is the Only American Car I would buy ) But right now they do not offer anything to my tastes/power hunger range besides the Mustang, which IMHO needs that make over to be appealing.

PS - Add a Twin Turbo to the G or Z and you get 400RWHP and 380ft/lbs TQ.. on 8.5# boost.... it makes me happy in my pants

Previous Owner of 00 SVT Contour #1077/2150 95 Contour SE '01 3L
K
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
K
Quote:

I will never buy a Japanese car, those pretty much suck! Id be alot much happier in a SVT Contour, those Japanese do not know how to build a car I would be happy in, Ford does. Out of alot of forign cars I have been in, none compare to a Ford.

Thats whats great about the CEG and internet, your entitled to your opinion, even if its "blind faith" You said you'd be happier in the CSVT than a Japanese car...have you ever seen an EVO or STi Now I've never driven one of those cars, but with 271/300 hp and AWD I'm 100% positive I'd like them more than my CSVT and I like my CSVT, alot Those cars were built with the "good stuff" from their parts bin, unlike our cars (i.e. not installing the 3.0L and Quaife/Torsen when they were readily available ) Personally the addition of those (2) items would've kept many CSVT owners in their cars. We can see lack of interest by SVT in our cars and it showed by not installing the 3.0L/LSD from the start. They new the car needed them, there not stupid...or are they

"THEE" Roger R USMondeo@aol.com 2005 Crossfire Limited coupe' -FOR SALE @buyout price & I'll... -throw in my 93' Regal as winter car *Dragon Run 06'...Oct 12-15th* Puur-fection Auto Detailing Complete packages from $140.00
C
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
C
Originally posted by The Striped SVT:
Quote:

I will never buy a Japanese car, those pretty much suck! Id be alot much happier in a SVT Contour, those Japanese do not know how to build a car I would be happy in, Ford does. Out of alot of forign cars I have been in, none compare to a Ford.

Thats whats great about the CEG and internet, your entitled to your opinion, even if its "blind faith" You said you'd be happier in the CSVT than a Japanese car...have you ever seen an EVO or STi Now I've never driven one of those cars, but with 271/300 hp and AWD I'm 100% positive I'd like them more than my CSVT and I like my CSVT, alot Those cars were built with the "good stuff" from their parts bin, unlike our cars (i.e. not installing the 3.0L and Quaife/Torsen when they were readily available ) Personally the addition of those (2) items would've kept many CSVT owners in their cars. We can see lack of interest by SVT in our cars and it showed by not installing the 3.0L/LSD from the start. They new the car needed them, there not stupid...or are they

I would take my friends EVO over my recently purchased CSVT any day without a moment of hesitation. It is such a superior car in every measure of performance it is not even funny. But when it came to a purchase decision, I just bought a used CSVT instead of a new EVO or anything else because I would rather have a house too.

J
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
J
I absolutely love my CSVT
but the 300hp '05 GT mustang is just too sexy to ignore
Late september, im afraid I may have to trade her in for exactly that.

Anyone else share that idea?

2000 SVT, #387 of 2150 Silver Frost
J
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
J
one more thing:

to counter above-arguments:

the evo and Sti are feckin hideous in my opinon, which is a big deal when owning a car and having to look at it every day for long periods
yes, the performance is much better than the CSVT, but the contour's styling is sweet enough for me to get over that.
That's obviously just my opinion, but i HATE the look of both the Sti and the evo

2000 SVT, #387 of 2150 Silver Frost
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  GTO Pete, Trapps_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard