Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
A
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
A
It means the next time i blow something big, it's SVT time

-Philip Maynard '95 Contour [71 STS | Track Whore] '97 Miata [71 ES | Boulevard Pimp] 2006 autocross results
L
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
L
Some thoughts:

1. SVT owners are generally "car guys", so after a few years of ownership, they are ready to move onto something different.
2. Horrendous depreciation. My E0 SVT with 95K miles, which I paid full list price for in June 1997, might be worth $5K at best. People who are looking to trade or sell their SVTs are wiser to do it sooner rather than later.
3. Nagging problems. My SVT drove me crazy in the last two years: squeaking suspension, bad wheel bearings, a leaking power steering hose, an antenna that won't retract anymore, water in the trunk, a failed catalytic converter, a head unit that won't load CDs anymore, and tires that wore out at 14K (related to the wheel bearings, I hope). Face it -- SVT contours aren't Hondas. I suppose a number of people just get tired of putting up with the hassles.
4. Technology marches on. The SVT was a bargain in 1997, and a very strong performer. Seven years later, we have Nissan Altimas and Honda Accords with 240 HP, for God's sake! The SVT is a nice car, but it is being upstaged with newer, faster, and more reliable automobiles. See number 1 above.
5. Changing demographics. As Contours age, their original set of owners are now older, presumably making a bit more money, and have moved on to performance/luxury cars such as the Mazda 6s, the Nissan G35, and the Acura TL. That leaves used Contours moving to the "first car" market, like teenagers looking for their first set of wheels. You can see it in the newbies on the CEG boards. Lots of young whippersnappers now.
6. Automotive revolution. The era of the pony car is dead. We now have super-quick Japanese all-wheel drive cars that capture the fancy of today's youth. While The Fast and Furious crowd is a bit removed from your typical Contour enthusiast, the influences are there, and the siren song of STi's, Evos, and tricked out Civics is strong.

Lee K
98 SVT Contour, silver

Lee K 98 SVT Contour, silver (sold after 7 years and 100K miles) 03 Lancer Evolution, red
S
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
S
Originally posted by 98 SE:
Originally posted by 18psi2300:
Nothing SVT specific...it happens with ALL cars this age.

Precisely ... even the newest SVTs are four to five years old now. And the E0's ... man they're old!

she's so damn old (7 years this june) AND BEAUTIFUL!!!

S
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
S
Originally posted by Lee K:
Some thoughts:

1. SVT owners are generally "car guys", so after a few years of ownership, they are ready to move onto something different.
2. Horrendous depreciation. My E0 SVT with 95K miles, which I paid full list price for in June 1997, might be worth $5K at best. People who are looking to trade or sell their SVTs are wiser to do it sooner rather than later.
3. Nagging problems. My SVT drove me crazy in the last two years: squeaking suspension, bad wheel bearings, a leaking power steering hose, an antenna that won't retract anymore, water in the trunk, a failed catalytic converter, a head unit that won't load CDs anymore, and tires that wore out at 14K (related to the wheel bearings, I hope). Face it -- SVT contours aren't Hondas. I suppose a number of people just get tired of putting up with the hassles.
4. Technology marches on. The SVT was a bargain in 1997, and a very strong performer. Seven years later, we have Nissan Altimas and Honda Accords with 240 HP, for God's sake! The SVT is a nice car, but it is being upstaged with newer, faster, and more reliable automobiles. See number 1 above.
5. Changing demographics. As Contours age, their original set of owners are now older, presumably making a bit more money, and have moved on to performance/luxury cars such as the Mazda 6s, the Nissan G35, and the Acura TL. That leaves used Contours moving to the "first car" market, like teenagers looking for their first set of wheels. You can see it in the newbies on the CEG boards. Lots of young whippersnappers now.
6. Automotive revolution. The era of the pony car is dead. We now have super-quick Japanese all-wheel drive cars that capture the fancy of today's youth. While The Fast and Furious crowd is a bit removed from your typical Contour enthusiast, the influences are there, and the siren song of STi's, Evos, and tricked out Civics is strong.

Lee K
98 SVT Contour, silver

#1-depends on your definition of a car guy is, most would love to tinker around with an aging car that has the tuning aftermarket our cars have achieved. . .

#2-depreciation sucks, but you don't own a car to worry about it losing value, ALL OF THEM DO, some at higher rates than others. . .it's a valid point for people itching to get rid of their CSVT, but if you bought a car, keep it and drive it until it falls apart at the seams. . .

#3-Just replace the parts, yeah you sink in a grand in parts, but you replace them with better quality replacements, and the squeaks and rattles go away (or at least 99% of them do).

#4-Sink more money in to boost it. It makes sense to me, that way you can keep up with the current displacement wars (honestly, 2.5L engine are small compared to the standard 3.5L v6's running around). . .nothing a t3/t4 couldn't help.

#5-Unless i total her, I will never get rid of her. Too much love.

#6-I'll take apart an Sti or an Evo anyday, just need to finish some mods I have planned <insert Mr. Burns evil laugh>

Suneil
98 E0 SVT

A
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
A
I see this going two ways. One one side of the fence we have those who have kept their cars mostly stock and are now getting rid of them for newer, more uplevel, more powerful cars. (Mazda6, Scoobys, EVO, G35, Accord/Altima/TL all come to mind.)

On the other side of the fence we have those who have decided instead to seriously upgrade their car's performance to compete or even blow out of the water many of the aforementioned rides. Thanks to the Street Flight turbo kit we now have SVT Contours putting out 325-400 horsepower in street trim and nearly as much torque 3L swaps are a dime a dozen nowadays, and there is the eventual possibilty that someone truly insane with some $$$ will convert one of these cars to AWD.

It is these former group of people wo can be called the true "Contour Enthusiasts" IMO

D
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
D
Agree, SVT still has the best looking sheet metal short of a BMW... and the Duratec is still a sweet sounding, high reving motor. Still puts a smile on my face..

I look at the EVOs, the STis, the SRT-4s (really more for kids..ahhhh I mean young adults), all much faster but they look trendy and homely. Not for me....M3 still going to be my next car..after I lower the debt a bit

1999 Amazon Green SVT Contour (#554/2760) "People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use." -Soren Kierkegaard (as posted by Jato)
S
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
S
Originally posted by Dan Nixon:
Agree, SVT still has the best looking sheet metal short of a BMW... and the Duratec is still a sweet sounding, high reving motor. Still puts a smile on my face..

I look at the EVOs, the STis, the SRT-4s (really more for kids..ahhhh I mean young adults), all much faster but they look trendy and homely. Not for me....M3 still going to be my next car..after I lower the debt a bit

Sound is another point, I'm glad you mentioned, something beautiful about the sonorous rise in cadence rowing through the gears in a CSVT. . .I've heard the I4's on the Evo and Sti, and the Rotary as well, and they sound like something I'd poop on. . .

B
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
B
I love my car but there's been issue after issue, and at the end of the day it's a high powered FWD car. I know an LSD goes a long way, but it will never have the same composure as a well setup RWD car. It's been wonderful for what it's been, I've done some great mods, had tons of fun at insane speeds, got approving comments,,, but the 5 year/52k mile ride is coming to a close in the next few months. I remember picking it up in May 1999, on a warm, sunny Saturday. That drive home was wonderful. The sounds from the engine, the smell of the leather.

If it wasn't for the problems, I wouldn't get rid of it. 3 sets of rear sway links, 3 sets of rear sway bushings, tie rods, new steering rack out of my pocket(still clunks), tranny that grinds, dash that makes noises, and an alternator that somehow is getting stuck in really cold weather.

Leaning towards an 05 CTS, 3.6L, 6 speed manual, but we'll see.... the old 3.2L models will drop in price dramatically and I can't resist a bargain. :-) The SRT4 is a tempter but I think I'm too much of an old fogey at 28 to get one of those now.

Brian Dors
1999 CSVT

J
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
J
Originally posted by Lee K:
....and the siren song of STi's, Evos, and tricked out Civics is strong.

You must resist the dark side of the Force!!!

Paul's NEW '01 Focus ZTS 45k miles and counting! K&N drop-in and Silverstars
M
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
M
I recently relinquished the keys to my beloved SVT. Mine had 92K and I had rust showing up in the wrap around folds on all of the door, trunk, and hood seems. The car looked mint and had NO exterior rust. The car ran very well but despite a new alternator (actually 3 OEM alternators installed by Ford) and an Optima Orange top the headlights would dim when slowing to a stop or when the brake lights illuminated.

My concern was that I owed $4000 on the car and knew that by winters end the car was going to have 100K and likely cancer. I fell into a little more omney at work and decided to take the plunge on an '03 holdover. I got a little more than I owed. If I had held off, I wouldn't be driving the car I wanted and I would have likely been upside down on the loan.

Current Car: 2005 Lava Orange Mazdaspeed Miata 2004 Graphite Dodge Stratus Old cars: 2003 Garnet Mica Miata/1998 T-Red SVT Contour
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  GTO Pete, Trapps_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard