Print Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
#872798 02/15/04 04:26 AM
B
CEG'er
OP Offline
CEG'er
B
Well I thought I'd create a picture "documentary" on the rebuilding of my ATX. Hope some find it useful. I first want to begin with the parts I have purchased. The first item I purchased was an external oil cooler.

I plan on using this as well as the built in cooler. This Hayden stacked cooler plate which provides 33% more efficiency in cooling over the stock aluminum fin type - at least that is what they say. This unit does seem to be a bit more sturdy and comes with an installation kit.

The next item I purchased was the electronic shift selonoid unit. I was strongly encourged to replace this unit during a rebuild

Next item purchased was an intermediate and overdirve band assembly. Wasn't sure if I would need a new one, but this was not that expensive...might as well!

I next purchased a Master rebuild kit. This includes the clutches shown here:

The next item is the bushing kit

Next item is bearing kit

Also purchased a remote atx filter kit that BigJim clued me onto:

Next picture of engine bay of me disconnecting everything to pull engine and trans through top.

One of the biggest problems that I understand with this transmission is oil pump blowout. There is a new bushing plate and gasket for the oil pump that is supposed to prevent this. The oil pump housing has some a new design, but it is not required to purchase this. I decided to purchase a complete up-to-date oil pump assembly from Bill Jenkins.

There is a specialty tool kit that is required to check end play, etc. The next two pictures show this kit. Thanks to Fastcougar for lending me this kit!!!!

Last but certainly not least, always have an assitant to help you do this kind of work!

I also purchased a Transgo shift kit which I do not have picured here as well as a new overdrive servo piston.

I HIGHLY recommend www.bulkparts.com for your transmission parts. They have been great with me, explaing some things.....
About the only item left I have to purchase is the torque converter. I'm waiting to get mine out to be sure I purchase the correct one. O'Reilly has this and their prices is $100.00.

I am also waiting for a engine lift that I bought. It should be delivered next week so I can pull the engine and tranny out. At this point in time, I'm pretty much on hold.

Hope some of this provide good info. I will update this section with pictures as I teardown and rebuild the atx.

Regards,
Bob

Last edited by unisys12; 12/04/04 04:48 AM.

An ounce of prevention provides a pound of cure!
T
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
T
Shoulda did the Image command, so I dont hafta keep pressing Control to override my popup blocker (im too lazy to disable popup blocker)

Former owner of a 1995 Ford Contour GL w/ 2.0L ATX Proud owner of a 2005 Ford Taurus SE 3.0L V6 Vulcan --Looking for Commodore stuff (Drives, Units, Amiga, games, etc)If anyone has any of this laying around and wants it gone, lemme know --
U
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
U
Awsome stuff BT!!! Best of luck on that rebuild.

P.S. I didn't get any pop-ups when viewing the pics.

Phillip Jackson `98 Mystique LS 262K+ and counting... ATX rebuilt @ 151K "This storm has broken me, my only friend!" RIP Dime
R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
good luck on the rebuild, be sure to keep us up to date with step by step pics!

i might try this in teh summer with my spare CD4E just to see if i can do it

Russell Oval Port 3L Nearly Done MTX75 w/ Homebrew Zetec FD and Torsen Complete
T
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
T
My pop-up blocker is on a strict blockage (last time I let some odd popup though, 10 more popped up past the popup blocker, and ruined my PC...)

Former owner of a 1995 Ford Contour GL w/ 2.0L ATX Proud owner of a 2005 Ford Taurus SE 3.0L V6 Vulcan --Looking for Commodore stuff (Drives, Units, Amiga, games, etc)If anyone has any of this laying around and wants it gone, lemme know --
L
CEG road warrior
CEG road warrior
L
If I ever have to rebuild....to a respectable trans builder it goes....along with some performance parts!

Good Luck!!!

Hector 2003 Rally Red Mitsubishi Evolution VIII 257HP/259TQ 2005 Lapis Blue Mazda 6s RET: 00 Cabernet Red Ford Contour Zetec ATX SUPERCHARGED 160HP/141TQ
B
CEG'er
OP Offline
CEG'er
B
From what I have seen, to rebuild this trans is usually around 1800 to 2000 dollars. And even then, not everything that should be replaced or checked is usually is.... I've heard of too many horror stories of having the cd4e rebuilt with continual problem. I've rebuilt manual and atx before but it was quite some time ago.....I plan on keeping this car and want it done right and completly..... Thus the reason I'm rebuilding the motor also......

Bob

B
CEG'er
OP Offline
CEG'er
B
Well, making progress, pulled the axles among other work...gettting close to pulling motor and atx.

Did find that my passenger side control arm bushings were shot. Could move the control arm sideways....I replaced the drivers side about 2 months ago. Tie rod ends fell apart when removing them..guess I'll have tor replace these.

Stabalizer links are also worn and will have to be replaced.

Exhaust system was a piece of cake removing.... With axle puller from Auto Zone loan the axles did not give me that much trouble.....

Last edited by unisys12; 12/11/04 12:28 AM.

R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
Originally posted by btrautman:
With axle puller from Auto Zone loan the axles did not give me that much trouble.....

lol i just yanked on my axles and they popped right out, it did seperate the joint though but i just tapped it back in place with a rubber mallet, all is well

Russell Oval Port 3L Nearly Done MTX75 w/ Homebrew Zetec FD and Torsen Complete
T
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
T
I didn't see a TransGo CD4Ejr shift kit or an upgraded valve body assembly. Are you going to purchase one of those choices for your rebuild?

I've picked up the CD4Ejr kit for myself, but need to get a tiny little drill bit before I can complete the mod.

Must be that jumbly-wumbly thing happening again.
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RoadRunner_dup1, unisys12 

Link Copied to Clipboard